ORDINANCE NO. 2898
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING ASHLAND MUNICIPAL CODE SECTION 6.28.035 BY REVISING REGULATIONS APPLICABLE TO PEDICABS
THE PEOPLE OF THE CITY OF ASHLAND DO ORDAIN AS FOLLOWS:
SECTION 1. The following subsection 6.28.035.C.6 is added to the Ashland Municipal Code:
SECTION 6.28.035 Permit
Required for Tour Bus or Special Vehicle.
C. Criteria for approval. The proposed operation shall
1. Have a clearly defined route that will not create traffic congestion or adversely affect the character or privacy of a residential
2. Have proposed pick-up and delivery locations that will not create, or materially contribute to, a parking problem.
3. Have a vehicle speed that will not create traffic congestion or safety problems.
4. Utilize streets of sufficient width, including vision clearance at intersections, so that it will not materially contribute to traffic and pedestrian safety problems.
5. Have a fixed route with passengers picked up only at a specified single point of origin and, except for Lithia Park, passengers shall be returned to that same point.
6. Have to comply with only subsections 3 and 4 of this section if it involves the operation of pedicabs. In addition, the following criteria apply only to pedicabs:
a. Any route used will not create traffic congestion or adversely affect the character or privacy of a residential area.
b. The manner and method of pick-up and delivery of passengers will not create, or materially contribute to, a parking
problem or traffic congestion.
c. Prior to the operation of any pedicab and at the beginning of each shift or each day or operation, the pedicab shall
be thoroughly inspected by the operator and found to be in safe operating condition. An inspection for safe operating
conditions must include, but is not limited to, inspection of brakes including parking brake; all lights, signals and
reflectors steering system; mirrors; horn and other warning devices; and tires. For any condition found then or at any other time that will prevent the safe operation of the pedicab, the operator shall immediately remove the pedicab from service and correct the condition before the pedicab is returned to service.
SECTION 2. The following subsections 6.28.035.D.3 and 4 is added to the Ashland Municipal Code:
D. Operations Prohibited.
Permittees in the operations described in this section shall not:
1. Respond to specific or individual calls for transportation from one point to another in the manner of taxicabs or otherwise perform the services of taxicabs as defined in Section 6.28.020, or
2. Attempt to promote patronage through garish display of colors, sounds, murals or other thematic devices located on the vehicle.
3. Have to comply with subsection 1 of this section if the operation involves pedicabs.
4. Operate or allow the operation of any special vehicle or tour bus unless the operator possesses a valid Oregon driver's license.
The foregoing ordinance was first READ on the 17th day of June, 2003,
and duly PASSED and ADOPTED this 15th day of July, 2003.
Barbara M. Christensen, City Recorder
SIGNED and APPROVED this 16th day of July, 2003.
Alan W. DeBoer, Mayor
Reviewed as to form:
Paul Nolte, City Attorney
End of Document - Back to Top