Ashland, Oregon 97520
Phone: (541) 488-5307
Fax: (541) 552-2059
Contact: Barbara Christensen
Barbara Christensen was elected to this office in 1994 and is serving her 6th 4-year term as the Ashland City Recorder and Treasurer. Barbara is a Certified Municipal Clerk and entered into the Master Municipal Clerk program in 2006.
In 2001 she received the President's Award of Distinction from the Oregon Municipal Recorder's Association and in 2005 was awarded the prestigious "First Freedom Award" from the Society of Professional Journalism for her work in making documents more accessible to the public.
Barbara and her husband have lived in Ashland for over 25 years and have two sons. Barbara is active in the community and is a past Board Member for the Oregon Municipal Finance Officers Association and past President of the Oregon Association of Municipal Recorders.
Duties of this Office:
The duties of this office are set by the City Charter and through City Ordinances. Although tasks vary, three specific "hats" are worn: City Recorder, Treasurer, and Elections Officer.
- Facilitates public relations between the citizens and the City.
- Maintains record management for all city departments.
- Serves as Clerk to the City Council.
- Maintains accurate records of all business proceedings of the Council.
- Acts as custodian for City ordinances, resolutions, deeds, & contracts.
- Processes annexations, street vacations, and fire district withdrawals.
- Issues and records all cemetery deeds.
- Maintains City Charter and Municipal Code.
- Maintains official records for the City (dating back to 1854).
- Facilitates the City’s portion of liquor license applications and renewals.
- Serves as the City’s investment officer, managing the city’s portfolio.
- Performs daily banking and cash management.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of the Audit Committee.
- Holds the authority to audit accounting records.
- Handles accounting for the Local Improvement District (LID) liens.
- Organizes monthly billing, noticing & recording of liens with Jackson County.
- Assists candidates as they run for office.
- Provides election information to citizens.
- Works closely with the County during election years.
The City Recorder's Office is located in the City Hall building, 20 E. Main Street, and is open Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. on Fridays
Please feel free to contact the City Recorder's Office at (541) 488-5307 or email Barbara Christensen at email@example.com.