Recology Ashland Sanitary Service
170 Oak Street
Ashland, OR 97520
Ashland Sanitary and Recycling provides curbside garbage and recycling services to all residential and business customers within the urban growth boundaries of Ashland and Talent. It provides a Recycling Center in Ashland and at the Transfer Station on Valley View Rd.
Ashland Green Business Certification – Final Report
THIS REPORT DOES NOT ADDRESS THE VALLEY VIEW TRANSFER STATION
Office and Apartment
• A ductless head pump is used to heat and cool the main office.
• The office used compact fluorescent lighting.
• The disconnected downspout was reconnected.
• Green debris is collected on site
• Toilet paper and paper towels have recycled content
• White paper is 100%recycled. Colored paper is 30% recycled.
• Community wide collection of ink jet cartridges is also available
in the office.
• In house chemical usage is common household items with
common household quantities.
• The fleet of recycle trucks use B-20 bio-diesel.
• Ashland Sanitary and recycling has a part time staffed position
- Waste Reduction Coordinator.
• The website offers a large variety of waste management and
• There is a brochure rack with a large variety of waste
management and recycling information in the front office.
• There is a clothing and shoe free box available to the public.
• Universal Waste Collection for batteries and lamps is available.
• There is extensive signage for recycling options, composting
and website opportunities to know more about recycling and
• This facility is used as a classroom for composting,
vermaculture and other waste management classes.
• Replace T12 lamp & magnetic ballast with T8/electronic (the
City offers an incentive).
• Install additional heat pump capacity to eliminate use of
resistance heaters (additional head for existing system or
additional ductless mini-split).
• Install an opening, perhaps with a small fan, to circulate
heat/AC into isolated office to eliminate use of resistance
• Turn off the computers at night.
• Encourage all staff to conserve energy by addressing issues:
heating and cooling.
• Replace office equipment with energy saving models as need
• As need be replace existing toilets with low flow or high
efficiency toilets as need be.
• Support drivers and office staff to refill water bottles instead of
using single usage bottles. Return to the tap.
• Irrigate to the weather.
• Increase post consumer content in paper products.
• Creat a policy to recycle in house.
• Create a green team to help with purchasing strategies, office
strategies and equipment upgrades for the highest degree of
• Supply more recycle containers at desks and reduce the
number of garbage cans.
• Consider a policy requiring deplexing when printing.
• The book entitles "Orkin" should contain copies of the Material
Safety Data Sheets. Please contact your contractor and
request copies to be maintained in the book.
• Modify drain in parking lot with a filter.
• Initiate a non idling policy.
• Have a transportation network analysis performed and
implement the most fuel efficient routes & schedules.
• Educate staff to know what can be thrown away and what can
be recycled and encourae all staff to make less garbage.
• Use signage to display drought tolerant plant material and
• Irrigate to the weather
• The Universal Waste Lamp Program needs proper containers to
• The drain needs asphalt patching and filtering.
Office and Recycle Center
Install a smart irrigation controller.
- Continue to monitor alernative fuel sources
- Create, adopt or pormote a school curriculum.