2005 Historic Preservation Awards



*See end of page for Photo Gallery*


Location: 44 N. Second St, Trinity Episcopal Church, Parish Hall
Trinity Episcopal Church
Architect: Tom Giordano
Contractor: Medinger Construction


The Trinity Episcopal Church complex consists of four main areas. These areas are the sanctuary, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the meditation area or labyrinth, the administrative offices and the Parish Hall (which is a secondary historic contributing building.


Due to increases in church membership and to improve the function and efficiency of the parish Hall, the church congregation decided that both an addition and remodel was necessary. The project included modernizing the existing kitchen, enlarging the library, providing additional storage and increasing the meeting space.


It was also the intent of the church to create an exterior design concept that matched the existing hall and complemented the historic sanctuary building. Both the overall building form as well as the exterior materials were designed to blend with the existing hall, but not visually compete with the sanctuary.


Location: 717 Siskiyou Blvd, Ashland First Congregational Church

Owner: Ashland First Congregational Church

Architect: Ray Kistler

Contractor: Brad Roupp


Dedicated in 1926, the First Congregational Church is one of the few community service-oriented buildings in the Siskiyou-Hargadine District and effectively relates its original design and appearance during the period of historic significance. The Daily Tidings reported that “the church is one of the most pretentious church edifices in the City”. Today, this restored treasure would be described as a simple gabled ell-shaped volume with modest bungalow-like details including shingle siding, regularly spaced windows and broad overhanging eaves supported by large brackets.


Ray Kistler & Brad Roupp collaborated on a tastefully designed and proportioned entrance addition for an expanded lobby and new stairwell to the basement. Most of the six months of work is hidden from view. Major structural problems with the foundation, bowed out walls and sagging roofs have been rectified. The new light filled interior was completely gutted and now includes new floors, plaster, cabinetry, bathrooms, storage, kitchen and new hydronic heat.


The congregation is especially appreciative for the endless hours of work and dedication of Brad Roupp in spearheading this effort. His artistry in the form of hand-forged iron work will always be a reminder of this commitment.


Location: 125 East Main Street, Paddington Station

Owner: Donald & Pamela Hammond

Architect: Robert Saladoff

Contractor: Robert Davis Construction


This historic mercantile building built in 1903 has been an integral part of the commercial downtown Ashland landscape through many generations. The owners undertook this comprehensive renovation and restoration project to not only modernize the out-of-date and inefficient interior retail spaces, but to restore the character of the original façade on East Main Street, while making the building safer for its customers.


The major aesthetic aspect of this federally certified historic project included the restoration of the front façade, bringing back the original intricate detail at the cornice, the maintenance of the metal, wood, and glass storefront, and the reintroduction of a corrugated metal awning. The interior renovation involved several major architectural elements including the refinishing of the original Douglas fir floors, the restoration of the mezzanine and stairs, the repair of the original metal ceiling tiles, and the renovation of the basement space for additional retail space.


The majority of the expenditures and attention, however, was attributed to the seismic upgrade of the building, the complete renovation of the building’s electrical, mechanical, and lighting systems, and the significant upgrade to the buildings accessibility. All of these major building systems were completed with little or no compromise to the individual architectural elements and the historic building as a whole.


Location: 310 High Street (Traditional)

Owner: Kathleen K. Mitchell

Contractor: Clay Colley


The delightful new home at 310 High Street was designed and built by Casey Mitchell and Clay Colley. The home provides a very well-detailed example of a contemporary interpretation of a Craftsman Bungalow with Mission style overtones. The melding of the trellis work into the porch is particularly well-done and the use of an exterior stone wainscot gives the building a ground-hugging appearance that is very appropriate to the site and the neighborhood. While the building is reminiscent of Craftsman work, it also exemplifies a 21st century feel in the juxtaposition of materials and openings. The materials, roof slope and other details are perfect for the region.


The interior is comprised of well-lit, beautifully detailed rooms with hardwood floors and custom cabinetry throughout. Rooms present an open, casual feel with windows arranged to take advantage of the mountain views afforded by the site. Interior attention to detail is matched on the exterior with a landscape plan designed by Michael Minder that includes a variety of plantings selected to compliment the design of the home.


This home is a beautiful addition to the Historic District.


Location: 765 Iowa Street (Non-Traditional)

Owner/Contractor: Dan Heller & Mary Beth Burton

Designer: Don Server


Although this new home is not reflective of most of the traditional home styles found in Ashland’s Historic Districts, it has a distinctive design. The home has both Asian and craftsman design elements and proportions. There are numerous locations on the exterior facades that have a personal expression, such as the bamboo sculpturally arranged within an opening in the wall.


The design quality, construction techniques and the use of innovative building materials makes this home an asset to the community and a future historic structure.


Location: 117 Church Street (behind 115 Church) – New

Owner: Nancy Seward & Tim Bond

Designer: DBZ Building Design & Assoc.

Contractor: Downey Company


Nancy Seward and Tim Bond wanted to add an accessory unit to their property at 115 Church Street in the Skidmore Academy Historic District to provide a home for Tim’s father. Their deep lot afforded them plenty of space to do this, but they were very sensitive to their historic neighborhood and wanted the new home to be tucked in behind their existing home and be unobtrusive. Working the DBZ Building Design, they were able to design a delightful cottage which nestles behind their home with a garage at the end which is visible from the street. The beautiful new cottage was built by the Downey Company and would be an asset to any neighborhood, but especially appropriate in a historic district.


This new home clearly shows what can be accomplished when the owners are sensitive to the area they live in and work with a designer and contractor to create a structure everyone can take pride in.

Location: 159 Nob Hill  (Renovation/Conversion)

Owner: Paul & Amy Clark

Contractor: D. A. Boldt Construction


As our beautiful historic homes advance in age, it is important that our community recognize work that retains and preserves their historic architectural features, their sense of design, proportion and detail, while modernizing them for the needs of today’s families.


The original construction of this important historically contributing residence is thought to date back to 1902. The design elements that we enjoy today seem to date to the 1920’s with its stucco cottage style exterior, and with rich original deco design elements on the interior. This residence is known as the Perrine house.


In order to create additional room for their young family, the Clarks were inspired to remodel the existing garage into a living space. With a passion to maintain the historic integrity of their home, the Clarks took Amy’s design concept to the State Historic Preservation Office, (SHPO), and opted to go the extra mile necessary to take advantage of Oregon’s Special Tax Assessment Program, a program that affords great tax saving benefits to those that qualify. In order for historically contributing homes to participate in this program, all specifications and designs for remodel and renovation are required to be submitted to the state for approval.


General Contractor Darryl Boldt provided to this project his more than thirty years of experience and attention to detail, helping to formalize the Clark’s vision and SHPO’s requirements to maintain historic integrity and create the wonderful result we are recognizing today.


Several details on this project are worth mentioning for their historical significance. One historical detail is the retention of the appearance of the coach house doors on the building front. They were also able to find a source for the unusual aluminum roofing material used on the residence. In addition, much care was taken to preserve the stone work that Cassius Perrine, an avid rock hound, created himself from geological specimens he collected from all over the state of Oregon. These elements included the veneer of the retaining walls, and the outdoor fireplaces, all of which utilized Perrine’s extensive collection.


The Perrine House project is truly the sort of project we would like to encourage, as it is one that unifies the current inhabitant’s needs with the historic past.



Location: 364 Hargadine

Owner: C. Ren Kolar

Architect: Mike McKee

Contractor: Pat Elston


The Historic Contributing Hilleary-Miller, Hipped-Roof Cottage in the Siskiyou-Hargadine Historic District was designed and built by noted Ashland developer and contractor, Baldwin Beach in 1902. Beach also built many other similar homes on Hargadine and nearby. The home suffered from many years of neglect and was considered by many, beyond saving when the current owners bought it.


Working with designer Mike McKee and contractor, Pat Elston, a design was developed which included an added dormer which mirrors an existing one on the other side of the house and a small addition on the rear which replaces a falling down lean-to which had been added after the home was built. The home was completely re-built with everything from foundation to roof re-done in a way that duplicates the original structure as much as possible. Many original details were retained and when they couldn’t be salvaged, near duplicates were used, such as the custom made new wood windows which match the originals. The owners did much of the work themselves and are still improving the property with the addition of a new garage-guest house and landscaping. This home is a fine example of a restoration which illustrates what can be done when the owners love and respect their historic home and work with a skilled designer and contractor.

Location: 477 Allison

Owner: Colleen D. Searle

Designer: New Heights Design, LLC

Contractor: Alex Boutacoff Construction


It is sometimes said that the events that make up a life come full circle. They have a recognized beginning, grow and change, and eventually end up in a new form back where they began. The Ingelrock-Dennis House, located at 477 Allison Street is such an example. This American Bungalow style home was constructed for Southern Pacific Railroad conductor Charles S. Inglerock in 1902 at a cost of $1200.00. Today, some 103 years later, the house has been brought back to life by owner Colleen Searle, contractor Alex Boutacoff and designer Matt Stormont of New Heights Design.


This was a challenging project from the start, as structural problems in the foundation and load-bearing walls became evident. The stacked stone foundation had to be completely replaced, and a non-compatible steel column at the front of the house was brilliantly replaced with a wood column that now completes a beautiful front porch. Also included in this project were a new dormer at the rear of the home, a master bedroom addition on the first floor, replication of the original wood siding, and finally a wonderful new paint job.


This project is an example of the synergy that can occur when committed and dedicated individuals work together and pool their talents. Historic preservation has always been a community institution. It is people working together for the greater good, and always recognizing the value of yesterday as we look toward tomorrow.


Carol Samuelson

Librarian/Archivist for Southern Oregon Historical Society


Ashland, the Rogue Valley and Southern Oregon are alive with history from the Native Americans to the most recent emigrants from California. Medford is home to a person that has helped nearly every one of us appreciate the treasures that surround our days. Whether you're researching your family, your home, an architectural detail, or local history items, eventually you will meet Carol Samuelson.


Carol Samuelson is the Library Manager and photo archivist at the Southern Oregon Historical Society. This means she is responsible for the 2-dimensional collection which includes newspapers, maps, architectural drawing, books, photographs and the like. Her intimate knowledge of the collection, experienced detective-like eye and professional standards come from her twenty years of experience. However, it is her curiosity, big heart, enjoyment of people and passion for a good story that are the hallmarks of her style. She isn't your quiet librarian, nor is her library, where every project is enthusiastically embraced and all are asked, "Where is you family from?"

When asked about her current projects she listed several items including organizing images of Frank Clark buildings while they were under construction. What a wonderful resource for homeowners and builders alike. 


Thank you Carol for your many years of service, and the many stories you help tell and preserve.



Online City Services

Pay your bill & more 
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Building Permit
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2024 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A




twitter facebook Email Share
back to top