Public Works


The Public Works Department is composed of the following Divisions...




These Divisions include:

  • Cemeteries
  • Engineering / Administration
  • Facilities Maintenance
  • Fleet Maintenance
  • Streets
  • Waste Water
  • Water

Click Here for the July 1, 2018 utility rate increases

Click Here for the Annual Water Quality Report

The Engineering and Administration Division comprise the engineering, development, surveying, and long-range public works planning functions. The Director of Public Works and other shared staff positions are included in this Division.

In addition, this Department provides staff support for various commissions and local groups concerned with environmental, development, and transportation issues.

The offices for the Engineering and Administration Division are located at 51 Winburn Way, across from Lithia Park.

Documents/Master Plans
Annual Water Quality Report
Water Wise Landscaping
Contractor Pre-Qualification

Frequently Asked Questions

Recology Ashland Sanitary Service is an independant contractor. They are located at 170 Oak Street.  The Recology Valley View Transfer Station is located at 3000 Valley View Drive.  To contact Recology, please call 541-482-1471.
Call the Electric Department at 541-488-5357 for any maintenance issues.
Those streets are part of the State Highway system, and are maintained by the Oregon Department of Transportation; not the City of Ashland.
Contact Utility Billing at 541-488-5304 to have utility service activated or disconnected, or if you have billing questions about your service.  Utility Billing is located at 20 E. Main Street. 
Airport operations are handled by the Fixed Base Operator (FBO) at 541-482-7675. The Airport Commission can be reached at 541-488-2211.

A public works permit provides the authorization for an individual or agency to perform work within the public right-of-way. There are eight types of public works permits

Right-of-Way Closure Permit covers the temporary closure of sidewalks, streets, alleys, parking spaces and paths within the City of Ashland public right-of-way.

Encroachment Permit is issued for the private long-term use of public rights-of-way and easements including, but not limited to landscaping, parking, accesses, etc.

Miscellaneous Construction Permit covers the construction of sidewalks, driveway approaches, curbs and gutters within the public right-of-way.

Excavation Permit covers the cutting and excavations of streets and alleys within the City of Ashland.

Driveway Painting Permit is granted for the purpose of painting a yellow “No Parking Zone” at the entrance to a home or business driveway to assist with visibility and access.

Dust Suppressant Permit is issued for the application of a dust suppressant on an unpaved City street or alley.

Special Event or Block Party Permit are issued to allow a temporary closure of a residential street or alley for the purpose of entertainment to benefit the immediate neighborhood including downtown.

 Sidewalk Café Permit utilizing the public sidewalk for sidewalk dining in the downtown business  district (C-1-D), commercial district (C-1) or employment district (E-1).

Public works permits can be obtained at the City of Ashland's Community Development / Engineering Services Building, 51 Winburn Way. Permit applications can also be downloaded from the City's website by clicking here

Yes. A Miscellaneous Concrete Construction Permit is required from the Public Works Administration Office, located at 51 Winburn Way, if work will take place in the public right-of-way. To contact Public Works, please call 541-488-5587.

The cost varies from $16.00 to over $400 depending upon the complexity of the permit, and the number of inspections needed. For more information, call Public Works at 541-488-5587.

There are many issues to consider when using the sidewalks or streets for a parade, race or other special event. The best way to start is by calling the Public Works Administration office at 541-488-5587 or e-mail
All work will be stopped and the individual will be assessed penalty fees or face a potential fine.

Depending on the type of permit issued, some are valid for up to a period of 60 days, while others are valid for six months or more. Specific information can be obtained by contacting Public Works Administration at 541- 488-5587.

Perhaps. A Right-of-Way Closure permit to place a temporary oversized storage container or dumpster will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Factors include the location, available space, amount of public use, length of time, etc. For more information, call Public Works at 541-488-5347.

Important Information

· The City of Ashland requires any person or contractor to obtain a permit when working within the public right-of-way.
· A call must be placed to Oregon Utility Notification Center - 1-800-332-2344 two days prior to digging within the public right-of-way.
· No construction debris or stockpiling of materials shall be placed in the street or within the public right-of-way.
· No above or below ground installations shall be done without City approval.

Important Phone Numbers

Public Works Administration Office: 541-488-5587

Building Department: 541-488-5309

Transportation & Engineering: 541-488-5347

Code Enforcement: 541-488-5305

Tree Permits: 541-488-5305
Oregon Utility Notification Center - 1-800-332-2344 or 811

If you have any questions, requests or suggestions concerning the Public Works permit process, please contact the Public Works Administration Office at 541-488-5587.

Online City Services

Pay Your Utility Bill
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Building Permit
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs




twitter facebook Email Share
Back to top