MINUTES FOR THE REGULAR MEETING
ASHLAND CITY COUNCIL
Tuesday, November 17, 2020
Held Electronically; View on Channel 9 or Channels 180 and 181 (for Charter Communications customers) or live stream via rvtv.sou.edu select RVTV Prime.
- CALL TO ORDER
Mayor Stromberg called the Business Meeting to order at 6:00 PM.
- PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
- ROLL CALL
Councilors’ Slattery, Graham, Akins, Seffinger and Jensen were present. Councilor Rosenthal was absent.
- MAYOR’S ANNOUNCEMENTS
Mayor Stromberg announced the current Commission/Committee vacancies.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- Study Session of November 2, 2020
Jensen/Seffinger moved to approve the Minutes. Discussion: None. All Ayes. Motion passed unanimously.
- SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS & AWARDS
- Proclamation for Small Business Saturday
- Annual Presentation by the Public Arts Commission
Public Arts Commission (PAC) Staff Liaison Aaron Anderson introduced PAC Chair Andrew Stallman. Stallman presented Council with an overview of the Public Arts Commission.
- Declaration of State of Emergency Extension for COVID-19 Pandemic and Wildfire Emergency
Interim City Administrator Adam Hanks gave a Staff report.
Jensen/Graham moved to approve the Declaration of State of Emergency Extension for COVID-19 Pandemic and Wildfire Emergency through January 19, 2020. Discussion: Jensen and Graham spoke in support of the motion. Roll Call Vote: Slattery, Graham, Akins, Seffinger and Jensen: YES. Motion passed unanimously.
- MINUTES OF BOARDS, COMMISSIONS, AND COMMITTEES
- PUBLIC FORUM Business from the audience not included on the agenda.
(Total time allowed for Public Forum is 15 minutes. The Mayor will set time limits to enable all people wishing to speak to complete their testimony.) [15 minutes maximum] See note above for how to submit testimony for Public Forum.
- CITY ADMINISTRATOR REPORT
Hanks gave a Staff report.
- CONSENT AGENDA
- Approval of a Public Contract for Utility Billing Printing and Mailing Services
- Resolution No. 2020-21 Amending the Miscellaneous Fees and Charges Schedule and Repealing Resolution No. 2020-02
- Approval of Liquor License Request for Restaurant Republic, LLC.
- Approval of a Public Contract for Ambulance Transporting Services Cost and Service
Jensen pulled this item.
Council discussed the process and the consulting group. Seffinger spoke regarding concerns of regional needs and possibilities in changing the Ambulance service. She spoke regarding mental health concerns.
- Approval of Intergovernmental Agreement for Fire Chief Professional Services
Akins pulled this item. Akins suggested to collect more data before making a decision. She suggested to table this item.
Akins moved to remove the approval of the Intergovernmental Agreement for Fire Chief Professional Services from the Consent Agenda and table this item for tonight and schedule for a later Council meeting. Due to no second the motion died.
Seffinger/Jensen moved to approve the Consent Agenda. Discussion: None. Slattery, Graham, Seffinger and Jensen: YES. Akins: No. Motion passed 4-1.
- PUBLIC HEARINGS (Persons wishing to speak are to submit a “speaker request form” prior to the commencement of the public hearing. Public hearings shall conclude at 8:00 p.m. and be continued to a future date to be set by the Council, unless the Council, by a two-thirds vote of those present, extends the hearing(s) until up to 9:30 p.m. at which time the Council shall set a date for continuance and shall proceed with the balance of the agenda.)
- Public Hearing and First Reading of Ordinance No. 3195 Amending the Ashland Land Use Ordinance Relating to Requirements for Affordable Housing and Affordable Housing Standards
Senior Planner Brandon Goldman and Housing Program Specialist
Linda Reid gave PowerPoint Presentation (see attached).
Items discussed were:
- Affordable Housing Standards Amendments.
- Citizen Involvement Process.
- Resale and Rental Rate Formulas.
- Land Use Ordinance Amendments.
- Next Steps.
Mayor Stromberg opened Public Hearing at 7:46 PM.
Mayor Stromberg closed the Public Hearing at 7:46 PM.
Seffinger/Graham moved to approve first reading of Ordinance #3195 titled, “An Ordinance amending chapters 18.2.3, 18.2.5, 18.5.8 and 18.5.9 of the Ashland Land Use Ordinance Regarding Conversion of Multi-family Rental Units into For-purchase Housing, Affordable Housing Standards, and Approval Standards for Zone Changes and Annexations.”, to direct staff to amend Resolution 2006-13 to reflect the ordinance amendments, and to move the ordinance to second reading at the December 15, 2020 meeting. Discussion: Seffinger spoke in support of the motion. Graham spoke that there are a number of challenges and to do it this way is a great way to move forward. Roll Call Vote: Slattery, Graham, Akins, Seffinger and Jensen: YES. Motion passed unanimously.
- Public Hearing and First Reading of Ordinance No. 3194 Annexing Property and Withdrawing an Annexed Area from Jackson County Fire District No. 5
Community Development Director Bill Molnar and Senior Planner Derek Severson presented Council with a PowerPoint (see attached).
Items discussed were:
- Grand Terrace.
- Pedestrian Circulation.
- Conceptual Elevations.
- Annexation Criteria.
- Grand Terrace Electric Service Plan.
- Adjacent Properties.
- Transportation and Circulation Access.
- Frontage Improvements.
- Transit Improvements.
- Affordability, Base Density and Undeveloped Lands.
Mayor Stromberg opened the Public Hearing at 8:25 PM.
Mayor Stromberg Closed the Public Hearing at 8:25 PM.
Jensen/Graham moved to close the hearing and continue deliberations to 6:00 p.m. on December 1, 2020 for consideration following the second reading of the affordable housing code changes ordinance. Discussion: None. Roll Call Vote: Slattery, Graham, Akins Seffinger and Jensen: YES. Motion passed unanimously.
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS
- NEW AND MISCELLANEOUS BUSINESS
- ORDINANCES, RESOLUTIONS AND CONTRACTS
- Resolution No. 2020-22 Clarifying How the Transition to a City Manager as Chief Executive of City Government Will Occur Pursuant to Charter Revisions to Become Effective January 1, 2021
City Attorney David Lohman gave a Staff Report.
Seffinger/Graham moved to approve Resolution 2020-22. Discussion: None. Roll Call Vote: Slattery, Graham, Akins, Seffinger and Jensen: YES. Motion passed unanimously.
- Second Reading of Ordinance No. 3190 Amending Chapters 18.2.5, 18.3.9, 18.4.2, 18.4.4, 18.4.6 and 18.6 of the Ashland Land Use Ordinance to Amend the Open Space Standards
Planning Manager Maria Harris gave a Staff report.
Graham/ Slattery moved to approve second reading of Ordinance 3190, which is titled, an ordinance amending chapters 18.2.5, 18.3.9, 18.4.2, 18.4.4, 18.4.6 and 18.6 of the Ashland Land Use Ordinance to amend the open space standards. Discussion: Graham spoke in support of the motion. Roll Call Vote: Akins, Graham, Slattery, Seffinger and Jensen: YES. Motion passed unanimously.
Slattery/Seffinger moved to approve second reading of Ordinance 3191, which is titled, an ordinance amending chapters 18.2.2, 18.2.3, 18.2.5, 18.3.2, 18.3.4, 18.3.5, 18.3.9, 18.3.10, 18.3.11, 18.4.3, 18.4.4, 18.4.5, 18.4.6, 18.5.2, 18.5.3 and 18.5.7 of the Ashland Land Use Ordinance for consistency in terminology related to open space. Discussion: None. Roll Call Vote: Jensen, Seffinger, Akins, Graham and Slattery: YES. Motion passed unanimously.
- Second Reading of Ordinance No. 3192 Amending the Ashland Municipal Code to Reflect 2020 Charter Amendments Creating the Office of City Manager
Assistant City Attorney Katrina Brown gave a Staff report.
Jensen/Slattery moved to approve Second Reading of Ordinance No. 3192 for enactment. Discussion: None. Roll Call Vote: Slattery, Graham, Akins, Seffinger and Jensen: YES. Motion passed unanimously.
- OTHER BUSINESS FROM COUNCIL MEMBERS/REPORTS FROM COUNCIL LIAISONS
Council discussed having a Study Session for the new Councilor members.
- ADJOURNMENT OF BUSINESS MEETING
The Business Meeting adjourned at 9:20 PM
Respectfully submitted by:
City Recorder Melissa Huhtala
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need special assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact the City Administrator's office at (541) 488-6002 (TTY phone number 1-800-735-2900). Notification 72 hours prior to the meeting will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to the meeting (28 CFR 35.102-35.104 ADA Title I).