Commissioners: Friend, Garrington, Newman, Bussell, Merchant, Block-Brown, Lemhouse (council liaison), Seltzer (staff liaison)
Approval of minutes October 20, 2017
Approval of minutes with corrections
Council liaison update
Councilor Lemhouse provided an update on several Council items including: an engineering assessment of needed improvements to Pioneer Hall, evaluation of the need for a new water treatment plant, street pavement management plan, funding for new police officers and improvements to North Main Street (Road Diet) including additional crosswalks. Lemhouse also explained that the City Council does not have authority over the Parks and Recreation Department which is governed by a separately elected body.
Update on Gateway
Seltzer noted that a conference call is scheduled with Susan Zoccolla and Public Works to plan the logistics for the delivery and installation of Threshold. Landscape architect Tracy Pedicord is preparing a landscape plan based on input from the artist. Public Works will install a camera to capture the process of the installation.
The PAC discussed the goal to create a visual presentation about Public Art in Ashland. They agreed that Bussell will work with Fuhrmark to develop an outline of the presentation for review by the PAC at a future meeting.
Public Art Development Workshop
Friend provided a general overview of the workshop planning with SOU, the Oregon Arts Commission and the Oregon Center for the Arts. The event is scheduled for April 21, 2018 and the goal is to create an educational event designed to assist emerging local and regional public arts gain knowledge and to make connections to successfully compete for public art commissions. PAC will develop an invitation to send to regional artists and a guest list. Garrington will compile a list of contacts for southern Oregon, Bend region and Eugene area, Merchant will compile a list of local artist who responded to previous public art RFQs, Newman will compile a list of art centers and art commissions. These lists will be sent to Bussell for a final guest list. Friend will ask Fuhrmark to design the invitation.
Anne DiSalvo, representing the Ashland Gallery Association, addressed the group asking for an update about the PAC projects to be included in the annual Gallery magazine.
Meeting adjourned at 10:30.
Friend will determine if the December meeting is needed or whether it will be cancelled and then will notify PAC members.
Public Art Commission
November 17, 2017