Agendas and Minutes

Airport Commission (View All)

Airport Commission Regular Meeting

Agenda
Tuesday, May 03, 2016

 
ASHLAND AIRPORT COMMISSION
                            May 3, 2016
 
MINUTES
 
 
 
 
Members Present: David Wolske, Bill Skillman, Lincoln Zeve, Susan Moen, William Butler, Sherm Lucas, George Schoen, Bob Skinner, Alex Censor, Alan DeBoer and Mike Morris
Staff: Scott Fleury and Kaylea Kathol
Members Absent:
Guests:  John Shute and Renee Dowlin
 
  1. CALL TO ORDER: 9:30 AM
 
2.AGENDA ITEM ADDITIONS:  None.
 
3.APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Motion by Wolske, 2nd by Butler, minutes approved as written.
 
4.OLD BUSINESS:
 
A.Airport Zoning: Staff informs Commission the zoning ordinance is on the agenda at tonight's Council meeting for second reading. Once the second reading is approved the ordinance will be codified and Planning will be able to use the new language for the land use/hangar application process.
 
B.FBO Lease: Staff informs Commission that the final comments made by Skinner are incorporated into the lease document. The pollution insurance requirement is last main issue that requires resolution, as the current underwriter for the fuel delivery only covers the delivery from the supplier to the tanks. There is no direct coverage for a spill with respect to delivery of fuel from Skinnerís fuel truck to an aircraft onsite. Staff to research other airport requirements for the delivery of fuel from a fuel truck to an aircraft by an FBO.
 
C.Webcams: The webcams were installed over the weekend. They were installed inside and the glass window creates a visual issue. They should have been installed outside as Skinner had the appropriate electrical service installed to support the webcam installation. Commission asks Skinner to have the webcams reinstalled outside. Skinner to coordinate the relocation of the webcams outside. In addition, the webcams are no longer visible on the City site. Staff to investigate and resolve the issue.  
 
D.Shade Hangar Enclosure Project: Staff is working on finals edits to the design build RFP generated by Kathol. Once final edits are compiled the RFP will be sent out for response and staff review.
 
E.Rental Rates: Staff expects the new rental rates to be approved by Council at tonight's meeting as part of the miscellaneous fees. Once approved staff will forward rate sheet to Skinner in order to start charging new fee schedule July 1, 2016.  
 
 
5.NEW BUSINESS:
 
A.Airport Good Neighbor Items: Staff informs Commission of complaint received by the City's code compliance officer regarding air traffic in the vicinity of Bridge St. The complainant inquired into the noise sensitive brochure and how it is enforced. Staff explained this is a recommendation by the City/Commission and there are no rules to allow enforcement of the zone, only the distance from the ground is regulated by FAA rules. Staff also stated the best point of first contact is Skinner to discuss noise and airport operations.
 
B.Tree Topping Project: Staff informs Commission they are working with Polaris Land Surveying on a new strategy to locate trees that exceed the approach slope height requirement. Previously each individual tree was identified and tagged. Over the years new trees have grown into the area created issues with identifying specific trees. The new overall strategy is to create a surveyed grid system on 100í intervals and then dictate a maximum tree height within that grid system. Once the grid system is complete staff will bid a topping project in fall.
 
C.Crack Sealing and Weed Spraying: Kaylea has been working with Jackson County Public Works on obtaining a price to perform crack sealing work on the ramp area. The City can enter into an intergovernmental agreement with the County to perform the work. In addition, staff would like to have the weeds sprayed by the County or a third party just prior to the crack sealing project.
 
D.Fuel Spill: Skinner informs Commission of Brim Aviation fuel spill of approximately 200-300 gallons, on the storage area over the weekend. Brim called and developed an Oregon Emergency Response number (OERS). DEQ has been notified and Brimís consultant is on site preparing all necessary documents and processing the appropriate cleanup measures. Thoughts initially went to vandalism, but the video does not show any tampering. Brim has two 5000 gallon tankers onsite. They have a spill response program in place, but no direct spill prevention measures onsite for the rolling stock. It appears fuel hoses were connected to a fueling cabinet and they became loose which in turn started the leak. Staff is not sure if the Fire Code calls for spill prevention measures to be installed for rolling stock. Staff to discuss with Marqueritte, the Cityís Fire Marshall. Based on gathering information the group would like to have a follow up discussion regarding onsite fuel storage policies.  
 
 
6.FBO REPORT(S):  
 
  1. Status of Airport, Financial Report, Review of Safety Reports: Skinner informs Commission the fire extinguishers have been installed. The roof project is complete and the warranty for materials is 15 years. As discussed in the past Skinner would like to see the FBO public restrooms improved as they floors/walls are extremely hard to clean. Staff and the Commission will have to evaluate the budget moving forward as there are not enough funds to cover a tree topping project, crack seal/weed spraying and a bathroom remodel in the current biennium.
 
  1. Maintenance Updates:  Staff will work with the street crew to perform the curb removal at near the compass rose. Staff informs Commission the County has requested an encroachment permit for installation of the new entrance road sign. Once permit has been approved staff can have the new sign installed.  
 
7.INFORMATIONAL ITEMS:
 
A.Brown Bag:  Butler attended the meeting and informed Commission the Mayor was glad the zoning code was being amended as this item has been a concern for years.
 
B.Transportation Commission:  No update.  
 
C.Medford Airport: No Update.   
 
D.Action Item List:
  1. Riparian Restoration: No change.  
 
  1. Paving of dirt areas around the hangers: No change.  
 
  1. Security and access signs-Brim/Skinner
 
  1. Hangar Enclosure Project: Staff in final edit stages of design build RFP.
 
  1. ODA inspection improvements and Tie Down Chain Repairs: Tie down chains have been repaired/installed thanks to Skillman. Staff to order more for a final few repairs and to have extra stock on hand as well.
 
  1. Security System Improvements: No Updates.
 
  1. Fly Friendly Pamphlet: Burhman recommended updates and staff to incorporate changes and have new ones printed.
 
  1. Airport Ramp and Taxilane striping project: Staff to layout drawing for Street Department to use in striping the ramp and parking area adjacent to JLC.
 
  1. Storage box: Wooden storage box at end of conventional hangars needs to be dealt with. Skinner to remove box.
 
  1. Crack seal and weed spraying project: Staff working with Jackson County Public Works to obtain quote and generate intergovernmental agreement to perform the work.
 
  1. Tree topping project: Staff working with surveyor to create grid system for identifying encroaching trees. Once grid system is in place, staff to bid project in fall.
 
 
OTHER:
The meeting of the JC airport commission is the third Monday of the month at 12:00 PM.
  
NEXT MEETING DATE:  June 7, 2016 beginning at 9:30 AM
 
ADJOURN:  Meeting adjourned at 10:49 AM

Online City Services

Pay Your Utility Bill
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Building Permit
Applications
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2023 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

twitter facebook Email Share
back to top