Governor Brown is requiring masks to be worn in public indoor and outdoor settings statewide to help stop the spread of the Delta variant. The Governor is also encouraging everyone to get vaccinated. Find out how to get vaccinated locally at Jackson County Health and Human Services website
 

Agendas and Minutes

Ashland Parks & Recreation Commission (View All)

Bee City USA Minutes 1-26-16

Agenda
Tuesday, January 26, 2016

MINUTES FOR BEE CITY USA - ASHLAND MEETING
 
January 26, 2016
North Mountain Park Nature Center
620 North Mountain Ave.
 
12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
 
I.               CALL TO ORDER AND WELCOME
            Libby asked for Introductions
            In attendance –Mike Gardiner, Libby VanWyhe, Shari Shattock, Kristina Lefever, Kate Womack
Public Member - Sharon Schmidt: Chairs BCU Phoenix, Rep Oregon Honey Festival & Pollinator Project Rogue Valley
 
II.             APPROVAL OF MINUTES
1.       Approve Minutes from previous meeting
1.Mike moved to approve the minutes. Shari seconded it. Minutes approved.
 
2.       Review Action Items
All action items from previous meeting complete, except the potential letter to the property owner who has the feral bee hive tree.
 
Discussed the Ashland Creek Park water main line break and how the Pollinator garden was impacted. Libby said that City of Ashland would help with the cost of replacement plants. Perk test was done, and substrate is not impacted.
 
III.           PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
1.       Open Forum
Sharon Schmidt invited to speak for 5 minutes.
She runs the Oregon Honey Festival. For this year she wants to invite folks to teach about bees and do a public art performance. Saturday August 20th is the date. Sharon wants to ask BCU to help facilitate/market it.
Libby asked how she wanted help and what the performing artists would do.
In summary-Libby suggested Sharon email us a concrete proposal about the event; what it’s going to be and what kind of engagement she wants from us. Libby will make sure everyone here sees it, then we can decide if the next step is perhaps forwarding it or presenting it to the Parks Commission and see how one goes about getting permission to use public space.
Sharon agreed.
 
IV.           ADDITIONS OR DELETIONS TO THE AGENDA
 
V.UNFINISHED BUSINESS
1.       Approve the draft of Pollinator Gardens Nomination Form - see Attachment 1
Discussion about criteria wording “high diversity of plant types’ and what that means. Instead the criteria should say “Garden supports a diverse range of pollinator insects”
□ Kristina will change the wording of the “high diversity” criteria on the Pollinator Garden Nomination Form.
Kristina made a motion to approve the form with one change?
All approved.
 
2.       Discuss best marketing process for the program
Discussed materials and prices of signage for “BCU Ashland Approved Garden” signs.
Libby suggested aluminum composite signs from Kinkos.
Next step; just need a sign mocked up.
□ Libby offered to mock up the sign if the committee members send her the specific language, jpg files for the images, dimensions etc.
Size of signs were discussed – 10X12 or 9X12 nothing was confirmed
 
For approximately 10 signs, enough to begin the program, the cost would be around $130-$150. (This is not a confirmed estimate without sign dimensions.) Kristina wanted to know where the money is coming from
□ Libby said she’d check on her budget, making it clear that if the Nature Center takes on a cost we need to plan ahead.
 
Kristina mentioned City Source release as a source for marketing the Pollinator Garden nominees and approvals. Kristina suggested a letter to the Tidings.
Libby suggested preparing a press release to forward to Dorinda and she could submit to her press contacts.  
□ Kate agreed to draft a City Source write up (max 200 words) about the BCU Ashland Approved Garden program.  Send to Libby for submission by 2/22/16.
□ Kristina will draft a press release about the BCU Ashland Approved Garden program and send to Libby for submission to Dorinda by 2/22/16
 
3.       Decide on purchasing BUC table runner and/or banner, select vendor
Kristina discussed item 3. Asked for input.
Libby suggested that the banner fulfills multiple purposes, while a table runner seems to have limited application. Kristina agreed and asked if 2X6 worked. Cost will be $54 plus $55 an hour.
Kristina felt that the design for the banner and pollinator garden signs should match
Mike wants the Ashland Parks and Recreation logo on the banner as well.
Kristina discussed pictures and again the yellow background. She asked Libby to do the mock up.
□ Libby agreed to put the banner design together and PDF it for Kristina to submit to sign company. Libby again requested that jpegs, content, and size be provided by the committee to facilitate the process.
Kristina wants the banner by the first of April.
 
4.       Review and re-prioritize 2015 goals from brainstorming session on 4/15
Libby printed the Excel table that contained all their original ideas and passed it around.
Kristina had items she wanted to focus on, and she wanted to suggest new ones.
Kristina decided to start from the top.
The group revisited the idea of a Swarm article being submitted in the City Source.
Timing of two City Source articles discussed.
Swarm article needs to get in ASAP, the Pollinator Garden Approval program can be in City Source soon thereafter.
□ Libby will submit the Swarm article to City Source ASAP.
 
Kristina wants to orchestrate pollinator planting for pollinator week 2nd week in June.  Many ideas were discussed.
Take out lawn in front of council chambers and put in pollinator garden. She wants to pull in Garden Club, BCU, PPRV, Lori Ainsworth.
Another possibility- pollinator plants along the Greenway, Bear Creek.
Kate suggested ripping out green medians on the highways. 
Kristina brought up FAST grant for roadsides.
Shari suggested maybe the Greenway bike path was close enough to roadways to justify grant money.
Libby shared information about the Greenway Planning group that meets every other month to discuss new sections of the path.
Mike said the existing Greenway is maintained by the municipalities it runs through. But the County oversee the whole thing. He suggested possibly finding a point person to bring the issue up within the county.
 
Kristina suggested we host a Pollinator Run.
 
Kristina would like to solicit money to contract an Artist to paint an electric box outside of NMP at the Hersey street crossing.  The electrical box art could represent BCU in some way.
Mike said that needs to go through Public Arts Commission.
Libby said Ann Seltzer would be the person to talk with. Advised Kristina to share her general design ideas with Ann Seltzer.  Libby explained the process of how the Commission would solicit proposals from artists, then choose from the submissions.
Kristina thought it would be fun to have that done during pollinator week.
Kristina asked if anyone could help her with that. No response, so she thought maybe for 2017.
 
Kristina suggested another new idea: a public showing of the documentary Wings of Life, sponsored by BCU sometime this year.
 
Kristina would like the City and Park staff to time their lawn mowing to allow clover to bloom.  She suggested asking for a meeting with Bruce or Parks maintenance about the timing of mowing clover.
She asked the question if our “City” is PC enough.
Kristina requested Mike’s help.
Libby offered that a meeting with staff should be about a specific concrete recommendation, not a general discussion of how PC all our operations are.
The question of timing mowing for clover bloom is a concrete and specific question.
Mike suggested BCU make a list of suggestions to discuss with Parks Maintenance. 
Kristina suggested educating the Parks staff and it’s an opportunity to educate the public through signs saying, “We’re not moving this strip because the bees are using the clover.”
Libby suggested coming up with one or two things to bring to Bruce rather than a long list. A specific discussion of one policy would be more fruitful and might get more buy in.
Shari wanted to know if the Parks Department uses weed control fabric. Mike wasn’t sure.
 
Moving right along….
 
5.       Discuss sponsorship / support of educational forum about pollinators and pesticides  
Kristina is working with PPRV to conduct a forum: Our People, Pollinators and Planet.  Saturday April 16 is the event at SOU.
The event and the speaker schedule was discussed.
Kristina wanted Ashland BCU support the event. She said she’d like money as well as printing. Libby said NMP would be happy to do the printing.
Kristina countered, saying she’d like no more than $1,000.
Libby explained that the Nature Center does not have the money in the budget and suggested PPRV seek grant funding.
Kate said it was too late to ask for grants for this event.
Kristina described ways to market the event.
Libby suggested trying the new Valley 106.3 radio station as they like to promote local events such as this.
□ Kristina will reach out to the Valley 106.3 for promotion opportunities for the forum. 
Before moving on Libby suggested we make sure BCU approves of sponsoring the event currently call Our People, Pollinators, and Planet.
Kristina asked for a motion to approve-
Motion approved.
II.NEW BUSINESS
1.       Decide to renew as a BCU, and review renewal application to be submitted by 1/30/16
Kristina asked for the Motion to renew our BCU status, Kate seconded, motion approved
 
2.       Discuss and delegate the Annual Report also due to BCU by 1/30/16
Libby has completed the renewal application.  Kristina has drafted the annual report. 
Kristina asked if anyone had a chance to look at the report.
Kristina asked for a motion to approve the report as drafted. Motion approved. 
Kristina will send the renewal application and annual report to Bee City USA.
 
3.       Discuss activities and community program class ideas to offer for Pollinator Week 2016
Shari and Kristina are going to do a class on pollinators through NMP.
Libby said that NMP is offering several pollinator relevant classes coming up at NMP, but not necessarily during Pollinator Week.
Demonstration Garden Tours on June 8,
Alternative Bee Keeping on June 4th,
Bee Centered Bee Keeping on June 14,
A Lavender Workshop,
Lawn Gone on August 2nd.
Preschool Puppet Theatre on second Friday in June will be about butterflies.
Libby suggested that it didn’t matter that they weren’t all in Pollinator Week as we could put them all together on a Pollinator Flier.
Kristina mentioned again the Pollinator Fun Run during pollinator week
Kristina also mentioned the removal of the lawns in front of the Council Chambers,
And Kristina suggested the showing of Wings of Life as well. Kristina suggested the movie be shown at SOU as the Bee Campus might want to sponsor it.
Mike said that the Run was not feasible within this timeline.
Mike also said that he just doesn’t see that taking out the lawn in front of Council Chambers happening. Mike said that he thought he might run that by Bruce just to see what he has to say about it.
Kristina asked about the 4th of July parade.
Libby suggested maybe we should decide if we want to do something for the 4th of July and then discuss the details at the next meeting. Libby also suggested that we could maybe invite Phoenix and Talent Bee City to join us. Shari suggested Bee Campus as well.
No concrete decision was made to participate in 4th of July parade, but all seemed in favor of the idea of marching as an organized Group of Bee Cities/Campus.
 
4.       Determine BCU calendar for 2016 - months to meet, events we will participate in.
4.There was not time to cover this action item.
 
5.       Discuss grant applications -
5.Kate requested more information about our goals and timeline in order to write grants.  She has a few granting agencies in mind including the Co-Op and the Oregon Community Foundation.
5.Possible subjects for the grants could be educational programs and speakers, or funds for constructing pollinator gardens.
5.Kate needs more concrete details from us in a timely manner if we want her to write these grants.
5.The challenge is that writing grants for potential project ideas is tricky if we don’t have a real solid lead on how we would execute the stated project.  For example, we wouldn’t want to receive grant funding to build a pollinator garden, if we don’t yet have approval to build one on park land.
5.Libby suggested that we ask Bruce for approval to build a pollinator garden at a specific site.  Bruce could help us define the scope of work and budget, and his approval could be conditional upon us receiving grant funding.  Then we would apply for a grant.
5.Kate felt that this kind of detail would be too limiting and would like the grants to be more open to allow us to use the funds for various opportunities as they come up.
5.The challenge remains: getting sufficient specific details to Kate, so we can take her up on her offer to write grants, without limiting the scope of the grant with too many specifics.
5.
6.       Reminder of meeting with Talent and Phoenix BCU’s on Friday, 2/5 at Talent Town Hall (206 E. Main), 3:30p to 5:30p.
 
VII.         OTHER ITEMS FROM COMMITTEE MEMBERS
 
VIII.       UPCOMING MEETING DATES
 
 
ACTION ITEMS
□ Kristina will change the wording of the “high diversity” criteria on the Pollinator Garden Nomination Form.
□ Libby offered to mock up the sign if the committee members send her the specific language, jpg files for the images, dimensions etc.
□ Libby said she’d check on her budget for helping with signs, making it clear that if the Nature Center takes on a cost we need to plan ahead.
□ Kate agreed to draft a City Source write up (max 200 words) about the BCU Ashland Approved Garden program.  Send to Libby for submission by 2/22/16.
□ Kristina will draft a press release about the BCU Ashland Approved Garden program and send to Libby for submission to Dorinda by 2/22/16
□ Libby agreed to put the banner design together and PDF it for Kristina to submit to sign company. Libby again requested that jpegs, content, and size be provided by the committee to facilitate the process.
□ Libby will submit the Swarm article to City Source ASAP.
□ Kristina will reach out to the Valley 106.3 for promotion opportunities for the forum.  

Online City Services

Customer Central Online Payment Center
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Building Permit
Applications
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2021 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

twitter facebook Email Share
back to top