ASHLAND AIRPORT COMMISSION
September 1, 2015
: Bob Skinner, David Wolske, Alan DeBoer, Lincoln Zeve, William Butler, Bill Skillman, Susan Moen, Lincoln Zeve, Sherm Lucas, Alex Censor and Stefani Seffinger
: Scott Fleury
: Doug Burman and John Shute
- CALL TO ORDER: 9:30AM
2.AGENDA ITEM ADDITIONS:
- Staff informs Commission of training scheduled on October 6 and asks to reschedule meeting to October 13. Commission agrees to reschedule. Staff will update City Calendar appropriately.
3.APPROVAL OF MINUTES: August 4, 2015 approved by consent of Commission.
A.Airport Zoning: Staff explains the updated language sections are part of the meeting packet. Planning staff was unable to attend meeting due to work associated with the Normal Ave. Neighborhood Plan. Staff would like planning to attend and give a presentation on how the process will work before moving forward with code adoption. Staff asks Commission if they have any changes or updates to provide planning with regard to the code language in the packet. Commission would like the definition for hangars to be updated. They do not believe the word solely should be used for aircraft storage. A hangar can be used for aircraft storage, but also for tools and equipment related to aircraft maintenance. Staff to discuss with Planning and schedule them to attend the October meeting.
B.FBO Lease: No change. Staff still waiting for Legal to finalize.
C.Self Fueling Permit: Staff has made additional changes to permit and sent to Brim for review. Staff expects to finalize permit work out this month.
D.Electrical Improvements: Staff received a quote from Welburn Electric to perform electrical system upgrades including channel race, conduit, wire and subpanels to the 11 enclosed hangars. The total quote for the project was 18k. In order to move forward with a project of this cost staff would need to obtain three quotes before proceeding forward with contractual work. The consensus among Commissioner's is to not move forward with the total project and invest 18k into the electrical system improvements as the payback would be long. Commission would like to know what the channel race system would cost by itself. Staff to track down additional quote through Welburn.
A.Airport Good Neighbor Items: Skinner has no new input regarding good neighbor items.
B.Airport Website Updates: Staff goes over airport website deficiencies identified by Burhman. Staff has website pages displayed on screen and goes through them to discuss with Commission. Staff to update narrative page as Sky Research and the CAP are no longer onsite. Staff to also combine hangar rentals, hangar leases and hangar construction into one tab. In addition, staff to work with IT on webcam integration.
C.Fly Friendly Pamphlet: Staff asks Commission to review attached fly friendly pamphlet in order to provide appropriate updates for a new printing run. Businesses will need to change and there is the potential to add taxi information as well. The flyer is available at the FBO office for airport users and also available on the website. Staff will follow up at October meeting for changes.
D.Council Report: Butler goes over talking points for the presentation on the 15th. Butler hands out documents that has bullet points ranging from tourist benefits to emergency services applications of our airport. Butler asks for input regarding the bullet points. Commission likes the overall breakdown. Butler to work with staff in finalizing five minute Council presentation.
- Skinner Aviation has been busy all summer with fire fighting flights and spotting missions. Skinner believes the smoke in the valley has suppressed activities due to visibility. Also flying zones through temporary flight restrictions (TFR) have been diminished in Oregon/California and Washington due to smoke and fire fighting activities.
- Maintenance Updates: Staff will continue to work on ODA inspection report items of concern. The tree survey will take place once trees leaf out for fall. This will allow the surveyors better vision to identify specific trees. The City is currently in the process of hiring a facilities project manager that will provide additional much needed help with respect to facility maintenance and improvement projects. Staff expects to utilize the new person to assist with airport related projects.
A.Brown Bag: Moen informs group the discussion mainly centered around the Normal Ave. Neighborhood Plan. No other items of interest.
B.Transportation Commission: No update.
C.Medford Airport: No update
D.Action Item List:
- Airport Zoning/Riparian Restoration: No change.
- Paving of dirt areas around the hangers: No change.
- Entrance Sign Replacement/Animal Signs/ Highway 66 Sign: No Change.
- security and access signs (Skinner/Brim to review).
- Hangar Enclosure Project (Staff to work with Skinner): Staff informs Commission of new short form limited liability contract that could potentially be used for this project.
- Staff explained that Legal is developing a contract to allow for lower insurance requirements for sole proprietors that might work for this project.
- Transportation to & from airport: No change.
- Self Fueling Permit: Final edits sent for review.
- Fire Extinguisher Installation/ Hangar Numbering: No change.
- Roof Action Plan: No change.
- Tie Down Chain Repairs: No Updates.
- Security System Improvements: No Updates.
- Web Cam Improvements: Staff informs Commission that a site visit by our GIS manager will be required in order to determine work needed to relink webcams to the City's website.
- Update Airport Narrative page and links: Staff to go through list generated by Burhman regarding changes to website.
E.Airport Users Group: No Updates
The meeting of the JC airport commission is the third Monday of the month at 12:00 PM.
NEXT MEETING DATE: October 13, 2015 beginning at 9:30 AM
ADJOURN: Meeting adjourned at 11:00 AM