Ashland Housing and Human Services Commission
Minutes May 28, 2015
CALL TO ORDER
Vice Chair Coriann Matthews called the meeting to order at 4:30 pm in the Siskiyou Room at the Community Development and Engineering Offices located at 51 Winburn Way, Ashland OR 97520.
Approval of Minutes
|Joshua Boettiger, arrived at 5:15
||Linda Reid, Housing Specialist
||Carolyn Schwendener, Admin Assistant
Rohde/Crader m/s approval of minutes of the April 23, 2015 Housing and Human Services Commission meeting. Voice Vote: motion passed unanimously; minutes were approved as presented.
No one present spoke.
Social Service Award Discussion and Recommendation
The HHS Commission was given the task of recommending to City Council the allocation of the funds for the social service grant monies. On May 27, 2015 each applicant who requested grant money gave a presentation before the HHS Commission. The Commissioners briefly discussed the process they individually took in order to come up with their recommendations for these monies.
Most of the Commissioners had previously given Reid their numerical values for each of the organizations they wished to allocate funds to. Reid took a few minutes to input the remainder of the Commissioners numbers into a spreadsheet.
After a group discussion the following is the names of the organizations along with the allocation of funds that was agreed upon by the Commissioners as a group. The total Social Service Grant money to be awarded is $130,660.
- Community Health Center$8,000
- Planned Parenthood of SW Oregon$1,500
- Children’s Advocacy Center of JC$3,750
- Center for Nonprofit Legal Services Inc.$5,000
- RVCOG (Meals on Wheels)$3,700
- Community works Inc (Helpline)$4,700
- CASA of Jackson County$3,000
- Maslow Project$8,000
- On Track, Inc.$6,000
- Community Works (Sexual Assault Victim Serv)$1,800
- St. Vincent de Paul$20,000
- Community Works Inc (Dunn House)$11,760
- < >Children’s Dental Clinic of JC$2,850
- Community Works Inc (Homeless & Runaway)$6,000
- Options for Homeless Residents of Ashland$40,000
Councilor Marsh expressed her appreciation to the Commissioners for doing such a fine job. Marsh asked the Commissioners if they could take a little time to evaluate this process.
The Commissioners determined there were a few changes that could be made in the next grant cycle. Here is a list of some of the suggestions.
- The application form itself could include more specific questions.
- Specify what financial forms need to be filled out.
- Presentations could be more direct.Some presentations seemed more like storytelling and need to be more focused
- Ask the applicant more questions either on the application or at the presentations. Example “What if you didn’t receive this funding? How would that affect your project? ““What are you going to do with the money? “ Give us a brief overview of your program.
- Would like to receive feedback from the applicant.
- Would like a little more time between the applications and the presentations. Discuss the applications as a group and then hear their presentations.
Marsh asked the Commissioners if they felt they had enough membership with this group to make this kind of decision. Would it be helpful to have someone from the Budget Committee or a Council member included in the decision making process, inquired Marsh? The Commissioners recognized that depending on the applicants and the employment of some of the Commissioners it would be possible to not have a quorum. However the consensus was that they will make that determination after they evaluate how well they express their decisions to the Council. Boettiger pointed out that the goal is fluid communication with the Council. They are open to the possibility of additional assistance with the process if necessary.
The recommendations go to the City Council on June 16, 2015. Matthews, Crader and Rohde will attend that Council meeting with Reid.
Next Housing Commission Meeting – 4:30-6:30 PM; June 25, 2015
Possibility that Matthews might be absent
Saldana will not be able to attend
July 20, 2015 City Council Study Session-Housing Trust Fund Discussion.
Crader invited the Commissioners to attend the Economic and Culture tourism grants deliberation. They follow the same format as the Social Service Award.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:00 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Carolyn Schwendener