Ashland Tree Commission
Ashland Tree Commission
Minutes, December 5th, 2002
Call to Order the meeting was called to order at 5:05pm by Chairperson Rich Whitall. Additional commissioners in attendance included Bryan Holley, January Jennings, Dan Moore, Bryan Nelson, Laurie Sager and Jonathan Uto. Also in attendance were council liaison pro-tem Kate Jackson and staff Robbin Pearce.
Approval of Minutes Minutes for November were approved with corrections
Welcome Guests CC Brown and Rob and Susan Saladoff were present for PA 2002-130 (160 Church Street) and Darcy Noyes and Miles Murphy were present for PA 2002-128 (Nevada and North Main St).
- Recommended Street Tree List Staff presented the completed document. It will appear soon on the web. Staff will work with the Tidings on an article and on making the document available to the public.
- Heritage Trees The Commissioners split-up the combined list of all heritage/distinctive trees. They will review each tree to be sure it is still in place; in fair/good health; and should be kept on the list. If possible commissioners will take photographs of each tree. Staff will see if the Citys digital camera is available for commissioners to use.
- Public Works Specs Laurie Sager reported she has not yet received the specs from Public Works. Staff will encourage Public Works to get this information to Laurie.
- Arbor Week Transition Staff reminded the commissioners the Transition consists of moving the Tree of the Year nomination process to the Fall. This will support the larger visibility of deciduous trees. The timeline will be such:
September publication in the newsletter
October ballot out for the following Spring
Bryan Holley will work on a public relations piece.
- Morton Street Update Commissioners request staff remind Mr. Nolte of the requirement for the violator to provide the valuation of the trees in questions not the City.
- Professional Designers Standard Condition Discussion included applicants working with design professionals, supporting additional layers of bureaucracy; commissioners conducting regular basic inspections for street trees; ensuring the work is done each step of the way to completion. It was recognized there are two separate situations that need to be addressed - parkrow & street trees and project monitoring. Bryan Nelson and Laurie Sager will discuss this and present a proposal to be discussed by the Full Commission. This proposal could then be proposed to the Planning Commission as a joint study session.
- Staff reported Tree permits (18 through the ordinance and 6 street tree permits) are taking up an abundance of time.
- Staff also reported a level of frustration over lack of knowledge on specific tree health issues.
- Site Reviews
- Dates The calendar was corrected to read 2003.
- Electric Department report A number of questions arose from the report
- who is the Electric Dept. contact person/report writer
- what arborist is involved with the report
- what are the plans for the future
- list what areas are to be cut (highest priority)
This information will allow this document to be of value to the public as well as the City.
Commissioners also asked staff to find out where the pictures used in the City Source are from so that a correct picture can be used.
- Grant Application Staff reported the City will apply for the same grant as last year. There will only be one grant application this year. It will be for the Structural Soil demonstration at the Exxon downtown.
1.Gingko at the Library Rumor has it another Ginkgo has been planted. Staff will track down the rumors.
Adjournment Meeting adjourned at 7:50pm