December 4, 2013
Community Development/Engineering Services Building – 51 Winburn Way – Siskiyou Room
Call To Order – Regular Meeting, 6:05 pm
Historic Commissioners Present:
Dale Shostrom, Keith Swink, Sam Whitford, Tom Giordano, Terry Skibby, Ally Phelps, Victoria Law
Commission Members Absent
: Allison Renwick; Kerry Kencairn
: Greg Lemhouse absent
High School Liaison:
Staff Liaison: Amy Gunter, Clerk: Billie Boswell
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Mr. Shostrom made a motion to approve the minutes of the November 6, 2013 meeting, Ms. Phelps seconded the motion. The minutes were approved unanimously by the remaining Commissioners.
: Melissa Syken of 260 N First St, spoke about the Planning Action regarding 270 N First Street that was presented at the November meeting and voiced concerns about the decision based on the criteria used by the Historic Commissioners. She did not feel they did a good job of protecting the single family neighborhood.
Steve Barnard, a 258 A St business owner stated he had rented the house at 270 N First St. He felt the proposed design didn’t fit the historic district and could devalue the homes in that area.
There being no one else wishing to speak, the Public Forum was closed.
COUNCIL LIAISON REPORT:
131 N. Main Street
Chairman Skibby confirmed there was no exparte contact or conflict of interest.
Ms. Gunter explained that the owners have an existing garage with living quarters above. They would now like to convert it to a Traveler’s Accommodation with access off the back private drive. There is no access off N Main St. In order to meet the parking requirement, a variance is needed to allow one of the four parking spaces to be less than the 22-foot requirement.
John and Margaret Scarborough, the property owners, identified the house as one of the “Three Sisters”, a period Victorian home listed on the National Historic Register. They said that people are very interested in their house and it makes sense to convert the space above the garage to a Travelers Accommodation. Chairman Skibby asked if there would be 2 driveways. The Scarboroughs explained that there is a 12 foot easement off Bush Street and even though the 4th
parking space would be slightly shorter than required, parking there would still allow only one backup and turn to exit.
There being no further questions of the applicant and no one in the audience wishing to speak, the Public Hearing was closed.
Mr. Shostrom moved to recommend approval. Mr. Whitford seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
- Historic Markers Grant – Ms. Gunter said that Oregon Commission Foundation denied the grant. She will send another grant application to Oregon Heritage Commission by December 16th.
- Council Goal – Preserving Historical Structures. Ms. Gunter suggested the Commission begin working on an ordinance to allow Historic Commission oversight of external items such as siding, trim, windows, roofing, etc. that affect historic integrity. There was also a discussion of transitional zones added to the Historic Guidelines.
- Meeting Process and Procedures – Ms. Gunter reviewed with the Commissioners the rules they should adhere to during public hearings and regular meetings such as following Roberts Rules of Order, understanding that Commissioners are citizens first and may step out of their role as Commissioner to participate as a citizen. It was suggested that if your residence falls within the public notice area, that you declare that fact and whether you will participate as a citizen or as an unbiased Commissioner.
- There was agreement to send a letter to the City Council requesting funds from the Transit Occupancy Tax to use for the Historical Markers program in either the Downtown or Railroad districts.
- Review Board Schedule
||Keith, Kerry, Victoria
||Terry, Keith, Ally
||Keith, Ally, Victoria
- Project Assignments for Planning Actions:
||400 Allison (Robin Biermann) New SFR (under construction)
||89 Oak St (Amorotico) New façade on building (under construction)
||175 Lithia Wy (First Place Partners) 3-story mixed use building (under constr)
||245 Van Ness (Nate Witemburg & Brint Borgilt) Addition (under constr)
||5 B Street (Spartan Properties) New Comm Bldg (under construction)
||15 N First (Amuse) Walk in Cooler (under construction)
||370 E Main (Staunton) Front Façade (under construction)
||19 Gresham / 374 Hargadine (No Submittal yet)
||14 Calle Guanajuato (Sandlers) Restaurant
||270 N First St (Nisha Jackson) New SFR
Next meeting is scheduled for January 8, 2013, 6:00 pm.
There being no other items to discuss, the meeting adjourned at 7:30 pm.
Respectfully submitted by Billie Boswell.