Agendas and Minutes

Housing Commission (View All)

Housing Commission Minutes

Minutes
Monday, December 18, 2006

ASHLAND HOUSING COMMISSION

MINUTES

DECEMBER 18, 2006

 

CALL TO ORDER – The meeting was called to order by Chair Faye Weisler at 6:30 p.m. at the Community Development and Engineering Services Building, 51 Winburn Way, Ashland, OR.

 

Commissioners Present

SOU Liaison

Faye Weisler, Chair

Bill Street

Sunny Lindley, absent

Carol Voisin

 

Aaron Benjamin

Council Liaison

Liz Peck

 Cate Hartzell, absent

Steve Hauck

 

Liz Peck, arrive at 6:55 p.m.

 

Absent Members

Staff Present

Don Mackin

Brandon Goldman, Housing Specialist

 

Sue Yates, Executive Secretary

 

APPROVAL OF MINUTES – The November 20, 2006 minutes will be reviewed at the January meeting.

 

PUBLIC FORUM

William B Smith, Associate Vice President Resident Education and Services at SOU will speak under New Business.

 

NEW BUSINESS

Southern Oregon University Student Housing - No report due to Lindley’s absence.

SOU Master Plan – Goldman said the City and SOU’s adopted Masterplan 2010 that identifies some future housing opportunities.  A map has been provided in the packet. 

 

Ruth Stoddard, Director of Residential Life at SOU, said the University went through a recent internal process of adopting a master plan, however, due to a change in administrators, the document hasn’t moved forward.

 

Smith and Stoddard said there are 100 people on the waiting list for family housing.  The University is designed to house 1000 students.  They usually have about 900 residents.  There are the single students to consider and the family housing students – they have a different set of needs.  Nothing is planned for family housing at this time.  Smith said he had done a market housing study. 

 

Benjamin talked about opportunities for workforce housing.  For example, Sky Research, a local company, has talked about mingling a residential and educational opportunity on campus.  Some of their technical people could be made available to teach on campus.   Stoddard was not aware of Sky Research’s interest.  Voisin will get the information to Smith and Stoddard.

 

Peck arrived at 6:55 p.m.

 

REPORTS AND UPDATES

Subcommittee/Liaison Updates

Pre-app Review Board – Two condo conversions were reviewed:  780 VanNess (five units) and 880 Ventura Circle. (four units).  The VanNess owner is intending to stay on the property and is going to refinance her property.  The Ventura Circle owners asked that in the event they convert all four units to condominiums, is there a mechanism that would allow them to donate the land under the affordable program to the Land Trust? Goldman will follow this to see the steps the developer takes. 

Land Use – There is a written report in the packet.

Finance - There is a written report in the packet.  Add Carol Voisin to the Finance Committee as this is Weisler’s last meeting.

Education – There is a written report in the packet.  They are organizing another TV show to take place in February focusing on local non-profits. 

Liaison Reports

Housing Alliance - Goldman reported the Housing Alliance established priority goals for the next legislative session.  They will be going forth with a request for a document recording fee ($15 per document) that should generate up to $60 million every two years.   They would divide the revenue up primarily for the construction of rental housing with nine percent going to ownership housing.  Also, Goldman, Oregon Action, and Jackson County Housing Coalition requested that inclusionary zoning remain on the agenda as it had been previously. 

Tripartite Group -  Street reported that members from School Board/Parks Commission/City Council (referred to as Tripartite Group) will be meeting in January to talk about housing with the idea of keeping the three groups apprised of events and to keep moving forward.

Parks – No report.

 

Street shared comments from his phone conversation with Sunny Lindley, SOU Liaison. In general, there seems to be a lack of focus and communication between departments.  There is nowhere where those in charge are given any information as to the student’s needs with regard to housing.  Lindley was not aware of the survey of students. 

 

Other Business from Housing Commission Members

Two applications have been received by the City Recorder’s office.  The Mayor could appoint the two new members as early as January 2nd. 

 

NEW BUSINESS

Annexation Ordinance Development

There was recently a joint study session with the Planning Commission focusing on annexations.  There were a number of issues raised, three of which are listed here:

1)  Occupant qualification - Should different weight be given between rental and ownership?  What is the balance we are looking for?

2)  Percentage of affordability – What mix (rental/ownership) do we want to establish? The Rental Needs Analysis should help focus.  The idea would be to provide a menu of options.  Goldman was hoping to invite some developers to the next meeting to talk about the issues of construction phasing and unit type standards.

 3)  Period of affordability - Private developers have asked about a limited equity appreciation.  For example, as a unit increases in value and if it sells at market rate, then the non-profit (or the City) gets their percentage of equity and the purchaser gets their percentage of equity.   Different cities have various periods of affordability.  There has to be an incentive for buyers too. 

 

 There will be further discussion on the annexation ordinance at next month’s meeting.

 

COMMISSION COORDINATION

Reschedule regular meeting due to holiday conflicts in January and February

It was decided the new permanent time for the Housing Commission meeting will be the fourth Wednesday of each month from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Council Chambers.

 

Pre-app Review

                January – Benjamin

                February and March – Hauck

                January through March - Peck         

 

Future Meeting Agenda Items

Street requested an agenda item for next month:   Brainstorm with the Housing Commission the possibility of arranging a joint meeting with the Parks Commission to discuss the possible use of all or part of the golf course land for housing.  As preparation, he would ask the Commissioners all read the article about Breckinridge. 

 

Other

Voisin thanked Weisler for being our leader for the last years.

 

ADJOURNMENT – The meeting was adjourned at 8:25 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted by,

Susan Yates, Executive Secretary

 

 

 

 

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share