Alert: As of July 15, face masks will be required in outdoor public spaces where physical distancing is not possible. This is in addition to masks being required for all indoor public spaces effective July 1. Get more updates, cancelations, and resources related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) here.
 

Agendas and Minutes

Forest Lands Commission (View All)

Regular Meeting

Minutes
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING

ASHLAND FOREST LANDS COMMISSION

June 13, 2006 – 5:30 PM

Community Development, 51 Winburn Way

 

MEMBERS PRESENT:         Richard Brock (Chair), Anthony Kerwin, Jim Lewis, Dan Maymar, Joseph Vaile

Members Absent:                              Diane White

Staff Present:                                      Marty Main, Keith Woodley, Nancy Slocum

Non-Voting Members Present:         Cate Hartzell

 

I.                   CALL TO ORDER: Chair Brock called the meeting to order at 5:37 PM in the Siskiyou Room.

 

II.                APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Lewis/Maymar m/s to approve the minutes of April 11th as submitted. Motion passed unanimously.

 

III.             PUBLIC FORUM: None

 

IV.              ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA – None.

 

V.                 OLD BUSINESS

A.     AFRCAT / AFR Update – Woodley announced that he, Main, and Darren Borgias met with Linda Duffy on Thursday June 8th. Duffy asked the City to complete the CWPP, specifically the three owl core treatment areas as they intersect with the abiotic model. She invited AFRCAT members to meet with Dave Clayton as needed.

 

There has been no decision as to whether to blend the two alternatives. The Forest Service ROD is due out in April of 2007 with implementation to begin Spring of 2008. The Forest Service has a budget of $250,000 for AFR survey and management work over the next two fiscal years. Currently, $125,000 has been allocated to the project from other projects in the region by Scott Conroy.

 

Vaile would like the commission to formally ask Duffy to sample mark representative areas using the dichotomous key. Main could then add AFRCA markings to compare the two - at least in the NSO habitat areas. The commission agreed. Main to present suggestion to Linda Duffy. Main thought the DEIS might be too general to translate treatments to the ground. Brock suggested the commission pick out a few types of treatments and write a letter of request to Duffy. Vaile and Main volunteered to draft a letter.

 

Kerwin reported on the Dry Forest Owl Habitat Workshop. Participants reviewed the latest research and abiotic models. Consensus was that the northern spotted owl did best with a 500 acre area. Participants discussed “Fire in the Landscape” as the greatest risk to owl cores as there would be no alternative habitat. All participants agreed that management is mandatory.

 

B.     Monitoring Subcommittee Update – The subcommittee consisting of Brock, Vaile and White did not meet the last two months. At the last commission meeting Brock asked Main to begin effectiveness monitoring in plots within the lower parcel treatment area. Main asked for clarification. Monitoring was suggested for understory, ground layer, ground cover, mortality, vegetation, down small wood, map invasive species.

 

Main said that, in general, only a small percentage of trees were taken that weren’t marked. Commission requested that the report by summarized per PAG (Plant Association Group).

 

C.     Review Winburn Inventory Data and Prescriptions – Main said there was a quantity of existing survey data on Winburn and lots of firsthand experience. He said treatment could be done on a plot by plot basis and be used as a potential research area. The goal is to promote late successional stands. He said that if a helicopter was needed the pad NW of Winburn would most likely be utilized.

 

Commission began reviewing the description and prescription for Unit One. Commission asked if there was any noncommercial work left to do. Main said, no, it was finished in 2004. Discussion centered on patch openings for woodrat habitat. Navickas asked the commission to consider recreation values as well. Brock said there were also historic and aesthetic values to consider. He thought Unit One would raise questions applicable to the rest of the document.

 

Hartzell thought existing survey data was weak on vegetation and wildlife (specifically Dusky-Footed Wood Rats and Red Tree Voles). She suggested looking at each unit in context to the adjacent landscape. Dwarf mistletoe could be an issue for some of the units according to Brock.

 

Main described the landscape 150 years ago: southerly aspects, relatively open, pine, grass, not as much small to mid Douglas Pine. The goal would be to protect the remaining Cohort 1 and ensure Cohort 2’s health.

 

Slocum volunteered to work with Main on drafting goals to facilitate future discussions. Commission agreed.

 

D.     Continue Discussion on MOU Draft – Brock asked the commission to continue studying the draft and send comments to Slocum.  

 

 

VI.              NEW BUSINESS

A.     2006-2007 Budget Update – Woodley reported that the Forest Commission’s $196,000 budget was approved.

 

B.     Update Commission Glossary – Tabled.

           

C.     Noxious Vegetation Inventory and Control Plan – Tabled.

 

VII.           OTHER

                                         

VIII.        ADJOURN: 7:34 PM

 

Richard Brock, Chair

Respectfully Submitted, Nancy Slocum, Clerk

Online City Services

Customer Central Online Payment Center
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Building Permit
Applications
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2020 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

twitter facebook Email Share
back to top