Agendas and Minutes

Public Arts Commission (View All)

Regular Meeting

Minutes
Wednesday, March 05, 2003

Minutes
Public Art Commission
March 5, 2003
Regular Meeting Minutes
Siskiyou Room, 51 Winburn Way 8:00 a.m.

 

Attendance

Commissioners Bayard, Dvora, Benson, Todd, Jorgensen, Krigel, Demele, Jackson (Council liaison), Seltzer (staff liaison) were present.

Absent

Commissioners Demele and Jorgensen.

Call to Order

Bayard called the meeting to order at 8:05 a.m.

Approval of minutes.

Minutes m/s to approve the February 19, 2003 minutes.

Agenda Items

Reports on Old Business

  • Dvora reported on the revised list of suggestions of projects previously submitted by all PAC members. She explained that her group, including Jorgenson and Demele, did not prioritize the suggestions but rather organized and separated them by program and tasks. There was some discussion on the 1.5% allocation for art used by other cities and that a sub-group of the PAC to form to explore various funding opportunities for art. Benson stressed that the number one priority needs to be establishing the policy, procedures and criteria for PAC. Bayard agreed.
  • Jackson reported on the progress of the group, including Krigel and Todd, of researching policies of other cities/counties etc. She had a number of examples. Bayard will put all examples into an electronic format that would allow the group to "cut and paste" from the examples in order to begin a draft of a policy/procedures for Ashland PAC. Benson mentioned the information he got from the OAC and will e-mail it to the group. Todd has information on the 1.5% tax for art in place in other communities.
  • Seltzer reported on her conversation with Bill Flood of OAC. As of Monday, March 3, 2003, OAC no longer had any full time employees, no budget and is uncertain if there will be funding for the OAC in the next budget. Flood suggested the group contact Lynn Godsey, of the Arts Council of Southern Oregon, PAC in Grants Pass and Menno Kraai in Illinois Valley. He also suggested contact Megan Atyeh, the Public Art Coordinator for the State "Percent for Art" program. Bayard agreed to contact her.
  • Benson distributed a packet of thumbnail photos of various public art pieces in Ashland. He explained that he still has other areas in the City that he has not yet explored but will do so. Eventually he will create a table of the existing works of art and a table of potential locations for public art including the parks in Ashland. Krigel added that he and Benson met with Ken Michelson of the Parks and Recreation Department who encouraged the inventory and expressed that it would be very helpful.

Action

  • Bayard requested that commissioners e-mail to him web site addresses and or copies of policies and procedures from other cities. He will then begin to cut and paste a draft for Ashland PAC.
  • Dvora will enlist Demele to develop a list of possible funding sources/alternatives for public art including foundations, granting organizations, local service groups etc.
  • Benson will continue to inventory existing art.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 a.m. Next meeting date is Wednesday, March 19.

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share