Crew removing roots in sewer line
Crew removing roots in sewer line




































1)                  My sewer service line does not drain. What should I do?

Prior to calling a plumber, you may want to call us (541-488-5587).  We will check out the sanitary sewer line in your area.  This may save you a plumber’s bill.  We will contact you and let you know whether or not the problem is in your line or not.


2)                  My line seems to be plugged up a lot. What should I do?

Call us (541-488-5587).  We may have some suggestions on things that you may want to consider. Excavation and repairs may not always be the only answer. You may also want to look at what you put in your sewer lines, such as Fats, Oils, and grease (FOG).  We have some ideas on Best Management Practices (BMPs) that will help. 


3)         I need to repair or replace my sewer line.  What should I do?

There are two areas that you may need to be concerned about. First, the part of your line that runs from the house to the curb; and second, the part that runs from the curb to our sanitary sewer main in the street, easement, or right-of-way.  To replace the first part you will need a plumbing permit from our Building Department.  You may then replace the line yourself or hire a contractor to do it.  Once you have completed it, you will need to call the Building Department back for an inspection prior to backfilling the trench.  For the second part in the street, you will need to obtain a Street Cut Permit from our Engineering Department.  This will allow you to excavate your portion of the line out in the street.  Usually you will want a contractor to do this, since there is much more involved.  Again, once the line has been replaced and before you backfill, call the Engineering Department back for an inspection.  DON’T FORGET TO CALL FOR LOCATES BEFORE YOU DIG.


4)         What does FOG stand for?

FOG is short for Fats, Oils, and Grease.  You will be hearing more about this in the near future.  FOG contributes to blockages in both the homeowners and public sewer lines.


5)         I heard a loud noise and found that my toilet blew water everywhere.  What should I do?   

You should give us a call.  It probably means that we are in the area cleaning sewer lines.  This does not happen very often.   We use high water pressure to clean the sewer lines. Sometimes this pressure travels up the customer’s sewer service and “blows” their toilet, shower, or sink.  If this happens, please give use a call.  We will put you on a call list and notify you prior to the next time we clean in your area.


6)         I recently had a sewage backup in my house.  What caused it, and how do I handle the situation?

First, you should call us.  We will perform an inspection of the area and assist you in determining how and why it happened.  If it was caused as a result of a blockage in the city’s sanitary sewer system, we will immediately take action to clear the blockage.  We will contact the city’s Risk Management Department.  They will send out an inspector to check for damages. For any loss, you may file a claim through our Legal Department.


Online City Services

Pay Your Utility Bill
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Building Permit
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2024 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A




twitter facebook Email Share
back to top