2023 Business & Event Grants
The City of Ashland collects a Transient Occupancy Tax from people who stay in overnight lodging within City limits. Over half (58%) of those funds are reserved for the City’s General Fund and are used to support Police, Fire, Community Development and Municipal Court. Slightly more than a quarter of those funds are used to support the tourism industry through our partnership with Travel Ashland in support of their work to market Ashland to tourists. The remaining funds are dedicated to the City’s grant program focused on reinvestment in tourist-related infrastructure and tourism drawing events.
Photo by Bob Palermini
Business Beautification Grant
- Applications are now open!
The grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis and distributed until funds are exhausted.
This pilot grant-matching program aims to encourage private investment in renovating and rehabilitating existing properties, both lodging and commercial, within Ashland City limits. The program will provide financial assistance through a fifty percent (50%) grant match to non-residential property owners who lie within the outlined districts for the purpose of improving the street-side appearance of their existing buildings and site features.
Grant applications are eligible for up to $20,000 in matching grant funds. An application can only qualify for additional grant monies once the original grant work as outlined in the application has been completed. The grant applicant must maintain the property for ten years after a beautification project has been completed.
Be sure to work with the Planning Division to ensure code compliance and to obtain any necessary permits.
- Goal: to enhance the City’s appearance and achieve compliance with current regulations where necessary.
- Eligible Projects:
- Exterior cosmetic improvements to the structure’s façade (work must be located on the street frontage side of the building)
- Additional or upgrade to outdoor lighting.
- Alleviation of any code violations where the health or safety of employees or the public are endangered.
- Installation of public or handicap-accessible sidewalks and/or infrastructure
- Installation of signage or awnings
- Installation of landscaping
- Installation of outdoor seating
- Removal of non-conforming or illegal site elements.
View information about eligibility and compliance criteria.
Event Support Grant
This grant program offers support to event organizers who stage festivals and events in our city that activate public space and increase visitor spending. Through the event support grant program, funding is awarded to champion community celebrations that attract residents and visitors, strengthen the City of Ashland’s cultural identity and economic vitality, and promote entrepreneurial spirit and innovative partnerships between the private sector and public agencies. Awarded funds are intended to be used to reduce or cover permit fees and traffic control needs. The maximum grant award of $5,000 per applicant. To be awarded the applicant must be either a City of Ashland-based nonprofit or an agency partnering with a City of Ashland-based non-profit.
The grant program for events is not open at this time. Please check back in spring 2024.
- Goal: to increase and enhance events within the City of Ashland by reducing the cost burden of traffic control and permitting.