SERJ Regular Meeting March 2, 2023
Questions for Police Chief Tighe O’Meara
1. How does the Ashland Police Department engage in community policing? What does that mean?
2. What type of training do officers receive that teaches social justice? race relations?
3. How does police training in Oregon address implicit bias? Is it effective?
4. Please talk about the police department's Southern Oregon Racial Equity Liaison work with BASE Southern Oregon, and any similar outreach work that the APD is now doing in the community.
5. Can SERJAC collaborate with APD for a Forearms Amnesty Day to encourage citizens to turn-in-any unwanted firearms?
6. What are some of the ways APD would like to engage and connect with our marginalized communities, especially our BIPOC residents.?
7. Does APD have a mechanism for meeting with leadership or members of potentially targeted groups or individuals regarding security in their institutions? What is the best way for groups to interface with APD.
8. Does APD engage in any efforts. To reach out to potentially targeted groups or individuals to encourage them to report to APD when they have been victims of crime? What is the best way for them to do this?
9. What can victims of antisemitism or other crimes that involve a victim who is a person of color, or LBGTQ+ do to increase the chances of that crime being charged and prosecuted as a hate crime?
10. What are some initiatives APD would like to take towards dismantling white supremacy within our southern Oregon region.?
11. How can SERJAC support APD in these initiatives?