DATE: June 4th, 2021
CONTACT: Chris Chambers, Wildfire Division Chief
Fire Danger Increases to Moderate on June 4th, Restrictions Begin on Gas Powered Machinery
The fire danger level in the City of Ashland will increase to moderate (blue) on June 4th at 12:01 a.m. If you see smoke, please call 911.
The following restrictions on activities are now in effect in Ashland and all ODF protected lands in Jackson and Josephine counties:
What is NOT covered by these restrictions?
- Campfire rings and BBQs (gas BBQs are still OK) in Lithia Park are now closed.
- Motorized vehicles are allowed only on improved roads that are free of flammable vegetation.
- Power saws must be shut down between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. Additionally, saw users must have one shovel and one fire extinguisher (8 oz. capacity or greater) at the job site, and a fire watch must take place for one hour after the saw is shut down.
- Equipment used for the cutting, grinding or welding of metal must be conducted in a cleared area, and all work must stop between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. A charged garden hose or a fire extinguisher (2.5 lb. or larger) must be at the job site.
- The mowing of dry, cured grass with power equipment will not be allowed between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. This regulation does not apply to farm equipment used for the culture and harvest of crops.
- The use of any other spark-emitting equipment using an internal combustion engine will not be allowed between 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. During other hours, this equipment must be used in a cleared area, and a garden hose or fire extinguisher (2.5 lb. or larger) must be at the equipment site.
- Fire-fighting equipment will be required to be carried in vehicles that travel off of state highways, county roads or driveways. This equipment includes one shovel and a one-gallon container of water or a fire extinguisher (2.5 lb. or larger).
The following restrictions remain in effect throughout the City of Ashland during summer Fire Season:
- Electric powered machinery such as weed wackers
- Any work (gas powered machinery included) in a green and irrigated landscape is allowed at any time.
- All Outdoor Debris Burning is Prohibited
The following fire restrictions are in effect throughout the City of Ashland at all times of the year:
- Fireworks and sky lanterns are prohibited throughout the year within the City of Ashland.
Ashland Fire & Rescue asks that all Ashland residents remember the Ready, Set, Go! evacuation levels. Be prepared for the possibility of evacuation at READY or Level 1. Be READY now by signing up for emergency alerts, preparing an emergency and personal supplies kit, develop an evacuation plan, and help us save your home by removing flammable plants and debris around your home and from the roof. Find more information about being READY at www.ashland.or.us/evacuate.
Find the most current fire danger and restrictions at www.ashland.or.us/fireseason or by contacting Ashland Fire & Rescue at 541-482-2770.
Regional fire season information can be found at the ODF website: www.swofire.com