Agendas and Minutes

Wildfire Safety Management Advisory Committee (View All)

Regular Meeting Minutes

Minutes
Wednesday, March 11, 2015

 Minutes FOR A MEETING OF THE
WILDFIRE MITIGATION COMMISSION
Wednesday, March 11, 2015
11:00AM to 1:00PM
Conference Room, Ashland Fire Station #1
455 Siskiyou Blvd
I. CALL TO ORDER
Stephen Gagne, Greg Lemhouse, Ron Parker, Tim Bewley, Bruce Moats, Russ Silbiger, Hugh Holden , Chris Chambers and Vicky Sturtevant (by phone).
 
II. INTRODUCTIONS
 
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: February 11th
Tim motioned to approve as submitted, Ron seconded and all voted in favor.
 
IV. PUBLIC FORUM
None
V. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA
None
VI. BUSINESS
  1. Retreat recap
Hugh felt for the time spent it was valuable to get focused and would like to continue the retreats as needed. Hugh would like to develop a mission and vision from the retreat. Ron felt good about the outline and the community outreach plan. Tim also favors having further retreats to gain traction and would like to do further work on the mission. Vicki would like to see a timeline and next steps. She was struck by differences between the two groups and looks forward to marrying them up. Stephen echoed the comments on timeline and steps and liked the work on the stakeholder groups and messages.
 
  1. Next Steps
Tim would like to establish an initial timeline of immediate steps. Stephen commented that dates arenít important as the priorities at this point and we need to gather more information to inform a mission statement and goals from the community and not necessarily only personal goals. Greg encouraged the commission to submit a plan to Council that reflects the situation truthfully as possible and let the Council consider the impact on the community. A good plan also gives the Council a chance to learn and have have the backing of the commission. Ron asked about the upcoming wildfire season and Chambers commented that it would be useful to conduct the community engagement effort during the coming season for the benefit of the commission and the CWPP process.
Hugh said that there is already a lot of information available and work being done that the commission can capitalize on, like the Firewise clean-up day and the wildfire hazard zone expansion.
 
 
  1. CWPP Chapter Outline
Chambers displayed a draft outline that is a combination of the Cityís previous CWPP and the draft CWPP from Jackson County that integrates FAC concepts (though this draft was withdrawn later). The commission and staff will continue to refine this proposal over time.
  1. Timeline
April 11th and April 25th events are opportunities for gathering information from the public. Tim suggested open ended questions to gather issues and concerns and would like an email address or other way for the public to send their input. Stephen said existing programs, codes and ordinances, increase awareness of risk, getting feedback from the public, suggestions and input for the CWPP update appear to be the primary goals. Chambers talked about the wildfire hazard zone expansion process and an opportunity for the commission to participate and gather input. The goal is to have the ordinance to the City Council in June. Greg would like know if the commission supports the ordinance. The group would like to review the draft ordinance first and Chambers will send a copy out when itís ready for circulation.  The commission will look it over next month and submit a comment to the Planning commission and City Council as appropriate.
Chambers will also send anticipated meeting dates. Chambers will set up a topic on Open City Hall via the Cityís website and an email that can be passed out to the public. Ashley will work with the commission to develop specific messaging that will be sent around in draft form via email.
 
  1. Firewise Cleanup Day (April 25)
  2. Firewise luncheon/ceremony- April 11 @ 12/ Station 2
  3. Intterra update
VII. COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
 
VIII. REVIEW AND SET COMMISSION CALENDAR / NEXT MEETING
  1. Next meeting April 8, 2015
 
IX. ADJOURN: 1:00 PM
 
 
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need special assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact the Public Works Office at 488-5587 (TTY phone number 1 800 735 2900). Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to the meeting (28 CFR 35.102-35.104 ADA Title I).

Online City Services

Pay Your Utility Bill
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Building Permit
Applications
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2023 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

twitter facebook Email Share
back to top