SERJ Regular Meeting
February 2, 2023
Samuel Bogdonove, Superintendent of Ashland Public Schools and Andrea Townsend, Director Equity and Learning for Ashland School District (ASD) will attend the meeting and address the following topics and how they apply to ASD.
Initial discussions of equity issues
Drafting of School Board Policy the foundation of our efforts
What does educational equity mean and what will it look like as we approach it
Community, staff, family and student engagement efforts
Staff training efforts and lessons learned
Challenges and status of representative staffing
Importance of broader community collective efforts current partnerships
Moving forward next steps questions/comments
Angela Decker and Tami Williams, members of the Social Equity and Racial Justice Committee have sent the following questions to ASD and have asked the representatives to speak to these at the meeting.
Questions to ASD from SERJ
1) Do teachers and staff meet to discuss how bias shoes up in discipline and counseling?
2) How do you measure your progress regarding DEI?
3) How are you budgeting for DEI programs?
4) What efforts have you made to connect with the BIPOC population who have kids in the Ashland School District?
5) What types of diversity and inclusion training are offered to employees of the Ashland School District? Are any mandatory?
6) What types of consequences do students receive when they are caught doing something biased, culturally insensitive, or racist at school? What procedures do you have in place for follow up?
7) Are racist or discriminatory events within the school district documented? If so, how do you reach out to the students who were directly affected by the act.
8) Tell us about the equity, diversity, and inclusion work you are currently doing.
9) What do you think has worked?
10) What hasnt worked?