Know Your Alerts
Know the three levels of evacuation and how to receive evacuation orders
During a wildfire you may be asked to evacuate your home. You may have hours to evacuate or only minutes to flee. It is vital you understand Ashland's three levels of evacuation, and be prepared to receive evacuation orders. The three levels of evacuation are:
- Level 1: Be Ready long before an evacuation.
- Know Your Zone! Visit the interactive evacuation map page to print a map of your evacuation zone and review all the options available for you to exit your zone and exit town.
- Sign up for Nixle, Ashland’s alert system, by texting 97520 to 888777 as the recipient or go to ashland.or.us/nixle to sign up with email or an unlisted landline.
- Check that your radio can tune to 1700 AM radio as another information source during emergencies.
- Prepare a "go kit" for each family member, and have a plan for pets and family members with special needs. Get the list of what should go in your "go kit" HERE.
- Keep your evacuation vehicle gas tank full or fully charged if electric.
- Level 2: Be Set by maintaining situational awareness when an emergency threatens.
- Be ready to evacuate at a moment's notice with "go kits" in your evacuation vehicle.
- Consider evacuating at Level 2 if your family needs extra time or if conditions feel unsafe for you.
- This may be the only evacuation notice you receive if conditions worsen rapidly, so leave if conditions feel unsafe. You can't leave too early.
- Level 3: Go! Leave promptly when evacuation orders are given or when safety feels compromised. Do not wait and leave too late.
- Leave IMMEDIATELY. Do not spend further time collecting additional belongings.
- You will not be able to return until conditions are safe.
- Evacuation routing can change as an event unfolds. Continue monitoring Nixle and 1700AM.
GET CONNECTED NOW!
Nixle is the top way you will receive evacuation notifications. Cell phone users have to sign up in Nixle for alerts. Landline phones that are listed in the white pages are automatically included in the Nixle alerts, but if you have an unlisted landline you have to sign up in Nixle. Emails can also be entered as a contact as well.
As staffing allows, the other ways listed below will be utilized as well:
Ashland Emergency Broadcast Station: 1700 AM
Wildfire Information Hotline: 541-552-2490