Park Memorial Program
Dedicating a memorial in the honor of a loved one or a civic group on a public park feature is a meaningful way to acknowledge and support the significant role of the Ashland parks system in our community. Your donation will contribute to the maintenance of the Ashland parks system while celebrating a special person or civic group at the same time.
Plaques can be placed on park amenities such as benches, picnic tables, water fountains, and bear cans. These types of plaques are considered Standard Memorials which have materials guidelines and set prices. Prior to submitting an application form, please review the Memorials Policy
and the Standard Memorials Administrative Procedures
document, which lists the types of Standard Memorial that are available and the cost to establish a memorial. The Memorial Policy includes the following provisions for Standard Memorials:
Costs for commonly dedicated items are as follows:
- The cost to establish a memorial will be reviewed and adjusted on an on-going basis
- Plaques will be retired after a 10-year period. Rededication of an existing memorial will be offered as an option prior to the removal of the plaque
- If a memorial is damaged, the donor will be contacted and offered an opportunity to fund the repair or replacement of the item
- Installation of a standard memorial plaque may take as long as 12-18 months, once a form is submitted.
Application Process (contact APRC staff with any questions or concerns)
- Existing Wood Bench - $925
- New Wood Bench - $1,125
- Existing Wood Table - $1,025
- New Wood Table - $1,375
- Review the Memorial Policy
- Review the memorial guidelines & costs in the Standard Memorial Administrative Procedures document
- Identify an available memorial location using the online interactive memorial finder map
- Fill out and submit the Standard Memorial Request Form
- Your request will be reviewed at the next Current Parks, Conservation, and Maintenance Subcommittee meeting
- If approved, a check made out to the Ashland Parks Foundation can be submitted to Ashland Parks and Recreation staff
- A plaque will be ordered and installed by APRC staff
Donations can also be made for improvements to infrastructure such as bridges and facilities. Any memorials that are not listed as a Standard Memorials will be handled on a case by case basis. Contact APRC staff for more information on this type of donation.
APRC receives numerous offers for tree donations on an annual basis and we are thankful to those who generously help us plant new trees. In an effort to efficiently manage staff time we have implemented the following process when accepting tree donations.
- Please let us know the species of tree you would like to donate. There may be some species that we choose not to plant
- If you do not already have the tree, the easiest thing to do is to make a donation to the Ashland Parks Foundation so our arborist can pick out a tree from a nursery
- APRC staff will determine when & where the tree will be planted. Sorry, we are unable to hold consultation meetings. Desired locations can be provided to us, but we cannot make any promises
- Potential locations include manicured parks and open space properties (including off trail forested areas that may not be easily reachable)
- The tree may sit in the nursery for a period of time before it is planted
- Recognition of the donation will not be present at the planting location or in other publications (sorry, no plaques or signs)
- APRC is not responsible for replacing the tree if the tree dies for any reason
It is also possible to donate directly to the Ashland Parks Foundation
to help fund general maintenance activities in our parks.
If you would still like to move forward with a tree donation, please contact Sean Sullivan (email preferred).
For more information or if you would like assistance moving through the process please contact:
Park Memorials Policy (updated 11/25/2019)
Standard Memorial Administrative Procedures
Memorials Finder (GIS Web App)
Standard Memorial Request Form