Update: Aug 2019 - Page revisions in progress, thank you for your patience while we reorganize.
Ashland Residents - Simple ways to take positive climate action
Be Ready for likely emergencies
- Be Ready for anything! (http://ashlandcert.org)
- Prepare an emergency kit make a plan for communicating with family and friends.
- Set prearranged meeting points and know your escape routes.
- Stay informed! During an emergency, timely information can save your life.
- Sign up for emergency text messages (https://ashland.or.us/nixle)
Waste less, conserve more
- Use an online home energy assessment tool to get customized ideas for saving energy and money
- Schedule a free in-home home water or energy audit
- Install low-cost upgrades immediately (such as efficient light bulbs and water saving fixtures)
- Learn how to consume less stuff:
- Use a carbon calculator to know how your family is creating climate altering emissions (Berkeley household carbon calculator https://coolclimate.org/calculator)
Switch to low-carbon fuels
- Walk and bike more
- Consider an electric vehicle, or one less car (https://www.ashland.or.us/ev)
- Electrify home heating and cooling (http://ashland.or.us/conserve)
- Make a plan for higher-cost upgrades before you need them (don't wait until your hot water heater or furnace fails, now is the perfect time to plan for the future)
Support renewable energy
For Renters and Property Owners
Rental properties account for nearly half of Ashland's housing units. Renters often do not have the power to make significant building upgrades, and property owners often have little incentive to do so, or limited ability to recover the upgrade costs. In most cases, it is certainly worth having a conversation.
Renters and owners are all encouraged to make use of the energy assessment tools mentioned above. The online assessment only takes a few minutes, and the in-person energy review takes less than an hour. Both tools provide a good starting point for conversation. When both parties take an interest in climate and energy improvements, everyone can benefit.