There are still opportunities to learn outdoors, EVEN through COVID-19! We are currently offering small-group field trips to help young people safely connect with nature.
Service Learning is...
- A two-hour outdoor program at the Park
- Great for classes, families or learning “pods”
- A FREE, hands-on educational activity
- With a related park stewardship project
- Facilitated by NMP staff and volunteers
SIGN UP TODAY
Service learning is a teaching and learning strategy, for ages 10 and up, that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience and teach civic and environmental responsibility.
Though there are many different interpretations of service learning, our program combines service objectives and learning objectives to benefit both APRC and the school or service group. This is accomplished by combining service tasks with structured hands-on educational activities. By engaging in service learning, participants make a connection with the community and gain a better understanding of their environment while helping to make positive changes.
COVID-19 Service Learning Offerings
Structure and expectations
Programs are arranged by scheduling in advance with the Nature Center staff. The minimum group size is 5 students and the maximum we can serve is 34. The time required for the program is 90 minutes to 2 hours, with half of the group participating in the service activity and then switching off with the other group to participate in the hands-on learning activity. Minimum age: Grade 3 or 8 years of age.
- Please bring one adult volunteer or teacher per five (5) students. Adults are expected to stay with students and be engaged in activities and assisting students if asked.
- Please inform the Nature Center Coordinator, Jennifer Aguayo, prior to your visit of any significant changes to the information you have provided in the program registration form.
- Please inform us if you have any participants in your group with special needs requiring attention. We will be glad to accommodate them.
We are dedicated to working with you to make your service learning experience fun, meaningful and productive.
To register email Email
or call the Nature Center at 541.488.6606 (registration is required).