Ashland FireWise provides property owners with simple and easy steps to help reduce a home’s wildfire risk by preparing ahead of a wildfire.
- Clean your roof/gutters of leaves and needles at the beginning of fire season. This prevents embers from igniting your home.
- Clear the view of your house number so it can be easily seen from the street
- Circle the 1st Saturday in May on your calendar as the target date to be Firewise around your home
- Trim all tree branches overhanging your house
- Trim all tree branches within 10 feet of your chimney
- Rake debris accumulation away from your house 3-5 feet
- Cut back trees & shrubs from shoulder of driveway
- Familiarize yourself with Ashland’s Weed Abatement Ordinance, found at www.ashland.or.us/weeds
- Prune lower branches of trees 6-10 feet off the ground within 30 feet of home
- Clear dead wood and dense flammable vegetation within defensible space
- Remove any wood/flammable materials from underneath decks and balconies
- Relocate woodpile at least 30 feet from structures
- Clear away flammable vegetation within 10 feet of woodpiles
- Dispose of accumulated trimmings before fire season. Bring them to Valley View Transfer Station for FREE on May 5th!
- Talk to your neighbors and create a bigger defensible space together
- Discuss and plan an escape route with your family
- Have practice drills. Include all family and pets
- Check fire extinguishers. Are they charged? Accessible? Does everyone know where they are kept and how to use them?
- Get involved with community mitigation efforts like CERT.
- Talk to children about fire safety
- Know your wildfire evacuation route
- Circle June 15th on your calendar for Ashland's required weed abatement program
Want more information?
Be aware of Ashland’s Wildfire Hotline (541-552-2490), 1700 AM radio broadcasts and www.ashland.or.us for wildfire information
Contact Ashland Fire & Rescue to perform a free Firewise Assessment of your home or property:
Alison Lerch, 541-552-2231