FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DATE: May 26th, 2022
CONTACT: Ashland Fire & Rescue, Wildfire Division
541-482-2770 or firstname.lastname@example.org
FIRE SEASON IN SOUTHWEST OREGON EXPECTED TO START JUNE 1ST. PLEASE CUT WEEDS AND GRASSES NOW!
The Oregon Department of Forestry’s Southwest Oregon District is expected to start fire season in Jackson and Josephine Counties on Wednesday, June 1st.
Fine fuels such as weeds and grasses are already beginning to dry and seed. We must all take responsibility on our properties to effectively prepare for fire season. Now is the time to cut weeds and grasses if you have not already done so!
Ashland Municipal Code Chapter 9.04 – Requires the cutting of all grasses and weeds to four (4) inches or less between May 15th and June 15th and throughout fire season. Invasive weeds are to be prevented from maturing, spreading, or going-to-seed, at any time of the year.
Once fire season is declared, open burning on all lands protected by ODF in Jackson and Josephine counties and throughout the City of Ashland will be prohibited. At that time, controlled burning will be suspended above Ashland until fall.
The following restrictions will be in effect throughout the City of Ashland when Fire Season begins:
• Outdoor Debris Burning is Prohibited
• Weeds and grasses must be abated to four (4) inches or less
The following fire restrictions are in effect throughout the City of Ashland at all times of the year:
• Fireworks are prohibited throughout the year within the City of Ashland.
Additional information can be obtained as follows:
Regional fire information can be found at the ODF website: www.swofire.com
• Sky Lanterns are prohibited throughout the year within the City of Ashland.
• Campfires are prohibited except Lithia Park’s designated campfire rings and in commercially designed wood-burning outdoor fireplaces during periods of low and moderate fire danger. Outdoor fireplaces are banned during High and Extreme fire danger. Gas stoves are allowed.