The U.S. Census Bureau will start visiting Oregon households that have not responded to the Census. This is part of the Non-Response Follow-Up which will end on October 31. During this time, anyone who has not completed the Census for their household can still respond online at 2020census.gov
, by phone at (844) 330-2020, or by mail until October 31.
As precaution during the COVID-19 pandemic, all Census takers:
- Will wear face masks when visiting households;
- Have completed virtual training on the health and safety guidelines; and
- Will conduct the interview in an outside area where social distancing of six feet can be maintained.
If you donít feel comfortable conducting the interview in-person, you can complete the Census over the phone.
As a general reminder, Census takers:
- Are from local communities;
- Are usually bilingual, but if a visiting Census taker does not speak your language, you may request a return visit from a Census taker who does;
- Will leave a no response notice with other ways to respond to the Census;
- Will have a valid government ID badge with their photograph, a U.S. Department of Commerce watermark, and an expiration date on the badge. Regional Census Centers can be called to confirm a Census takerís identity. For Oregon, the Regional Census Center can be reached at (213) 314-6500;
- Will never ask for sensitive information like Social Security numbers, bank information, or citizenship status. Additionally, all information is confidential and will not be shared with immigration or law enforcement agencies;
- Will visit between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. of local time including weekends; and
- Will conduct quality checks on some households who have already responded.
The Census will need a complete and accurate count to ensure public funding for schools, roads, fire and emergency services, hospitals, and more for the next 10 years. Be sure to fill it out or respond to a Census taker who visits you! For more information from the Census Bureau regarding Census takers, go to 2020census.gov/en/census-takers.html