MINUTES CITY COUNCIL STUDY SESSION
Monday, December 2, 2019
Council Chambers, 1175 E. Main Street
Mayor Stromberg called the Study Session to order at 5:36 p.m.
Councilors’ Slattery, Graham, Seffinger and Jensen were present. Councilors’ Akins and Rosenthal were absent.
Huelz Gutcheon – Ashland – Spoke regarding climate change and energy conservation.
- Vertical Housing Development Zone
Planning Manager Maria Harris introduced Scott Fregonese from Fregonese Associates Inc.
Harris presented Council with a PowerPoint (see attached).
Items discussed were:
- Transit Triangle Overlay.
- Vertical Housing Development Zone Map.
- Vertical Housing Tax Credits and how they work.
- VHTC Incentives differ depending on the number of floors.
- Developers options.
- VHTC Benefits.
- Testing Physical Perimeters.
- What impacts development performance.
- 3 Story Mixed-Use Examples.
- 4 Story Mixed-Use Examples.
- Comparing the examples.
- Testing affordable housing requirements.
- Average Rent Assumptions.
- Average Median Income Assumptions.
- Internal Rate of Return.
- Requiring Affordable Housing.
- Recommended to not require affordable housing as a condition to use the VHDZ.
Council discussed using local developers.
Council directed Staff to move forward with this item and bring back to Council in February.
- Consideration for the Development of a Memorandum of Understanding with ODOT for the Jurisdictional Transfer of a Portion of OR99 Otherwise Known as E Main Street and Lithia Way
Public Works Director Paula Brown and Deputy Public Works Director Scott Fleury gave Council a brief Staff report.
Brown explained that this consideration would be good for the City and ODOT.
Council questioned the cost. Brown explained it would just be Staff time.
Brown explained that if Council decides to move forward this item will be brought back at Stage 3 to discuss the pros and cons.
City Administrator Kelly Madding spoke that there will be public information and outreach for this project.
Council discussed revenue benefits.
Council directed Staff to go forward with the MOU.
The Study Session was adjourned at 7:00 PM.
Respectfully submitted by:
City Recorder Melissa Huhtala