Jackson County is in the High Risk category for COVID-19 as of February 26. Visit the Governor's website for information on what is allowed during this time. Get general updates, cancelations, and resources related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic here.
 

Agendas and Minutes

Ashland Parks & Recreation Commission (View All)

Bee City USA Minutes 6-6-18

Minutes
Wednesday, June 06, 2018

IMPORTANT:  Any citizen attending a commission meeting may speak on any item on the agenda. If you wish to speak, please fill out the Speaker Request form located near the entrance to meeting room. The Chair will recognize you and inform you as to the amount of time allotted to you. The time granted will be dependent to some extent on the nature of the item under discussion, the number of people who wish to be heard, and the length of the agenda.
 
 
 
AGENDA FOR BEE CITY USA - ASHLAND MEETING
 
June 6, 2018
North Mountain Park Nature Center
620 North Mountain Ave.
 
3:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
 
  1. CALL TO ORDER AND WELCOME
    Carolyn Hunsaker, guest
 
  1. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
    1. Approve Minutes from previous meeting
        Shari needs to be added to attendees on previous meeting. DONE
      All agreed to approve the minutes from the last meeting.
    2. Review Action Items from previous meeting
      Nancy has replanted thyme at the Grove garden, water not yet available.
      Hold off on articles about the Grove garden until more established.
      The group still needs to discuss the annual garden re-certification letter to be sent to the “certified” pollinator gardens.
      Kristina suggests a weeding party at the Grove 9:00am on June 20th
 
  1. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
    1. Open Forum
 
  1. ADDITIONS OR DELETIONS TO THE AGENDA
                   Kristina shared the new FireWise brochure, and explained that they have added the Bee City logo,                     and they are listing us a another available City resource.
  
  1. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
    1. Update on additional Bee City USA signage placement – Libby
      Libby is still in negotiation with Scott Fleury of Public Works.  No clear answers yet.  If they aren’t able to put up a sign soon, Libby will set up a meeting with Scott and Kristina.
      Joel explained that it will be difficult to get permission for Bee City signs at Lithia because of the general resistance to new signage.
      Shari suggested that we contact the Chamber of Commerce and see if we can post the bee city sign in a window, on a wall, or on the plaza kiosk.  The size of the sign is negotiable.
    2. Review updated BCUA Rack card – Kristina
      Kristina would like the rack card to say more about Ashland.  She made edits and ran the rack card by Phyllis for additional edits.  These cards can be put in the Chamber of Commerce and in local businesses.  Kristina got an estimate of $0.30 per card, and we could print a couple hundred.
       Libby will look for pictures of pollinators from our gardens and supply to Kristina and committee.
       Kristina will contact Mike Oxendine and ask about potential student internships to finish the rack card.
 
VI. NEW BUSINESS
  1. Review 2018 Calendar – Kristina
      Kristina asked that we all share the Facebook event, for the Pollinator Tour.
     Libby will send a reminder to the Mayor’s office asking if the Mayor’s pollinator proclamation is on the City Council’s schedule.
    Review Pollinator Tour – Kristina
    Some gardeners need help in their gardens during the day of the tour. Some committee members will be helping out.  Libby will let people know as we get closer, whether she will need help in the office on the day of.
    Joel suggests doing the tour next year in June, during pollinator week.
    We need to distribute the signs for individual gardens.  The corrugated board signs are available upstairs at the Nature Center.
  2. Discuss possible APF grant application for pocket park grant - Kristina, Carolyn
    Carolyn has suggested that we seek an APF grant to turn the park into a pollinator garden.  She has gotten a positive response from home owners 34% of the riverwalk people agreed that they would like to be involved in either maintenance or funding.
    Carolyn met with Lori Ainsworth about the Adopt a Park program, and the HOA is interested in involving themselves as individuals OR as the homeowners association.
     Libby will schedule a meeting with Jason, Wes and Bill, Kristina, Carolyn, and Albert to discuss the process and get ARPC’s buy-in.  If parks or irrigation crews balk at the additional work, we may want to discuss a MOU with the HOA and get their commitment of continued maintenance for 5-6 years until plants are established.
    Albert suggested expanding pollinator gardens into pollinator neighborhoods, using common areas in neighborhoods to make larger areas.
    Called for a vote on whether to pursue this project.  All who were present, voted Yay. Nancy, not present, had sent an email voting Nay on this project idea.  The motion passed.
  3. Discuss goals and possible additions, and choose one for second half of 2018:
    1. Riverwalk pocket park (previous item)
    2. BCUA sign for Grove Pollinator Garden
    3. Creating/printing Thank You cards
    4. Increasing monarch conservation awareness
    5. Creating banner for use during Pollinator week for tabling, hang outside at NMP or the Grove
    6. Budget - educational materials to purchase for booth - posters, handouts, etc.
      The Committee agreed that we need to purchase some more posters and tabling materials.

      The committee members need to look at NW nature shop and online to determine what kinds of materials would be helpful for tabling.
       
 
  1. OTHER ITEMS FROM COMMITTEE MEMBERS
    1. Shari is formally resigning as of today.  She will stay connected as a possible future volunteer, but she doesn’t have time to sit on the committee any more.
 
  1. UPCOMING MEETING DATES
    Tuesday, September 25 3:00-4:30pm
 
 
ACTION ITEMS
 
  2nd annual Pollinator Garden Tour
  Shari needs to be added to attendees on previous meeting. DONE
  Libby will look for pictures of pollinators from our gardens and supply to Kristina and committee.
  Kristina will contact Mike Oxendine and ask about potential student internships to finish the rack card.
  Kristina asked that we all share the Facebook event, for the Pollinator Tour.
  Libby will send a reminder to the Mayor’s office asking if the Mayor’s pollinator proclamation is going to be made public again this year?
  Libby will schedule a meeting with Jason, Wes and Bill, Kristina, Carolyn, and Albert to discuss
  The committee members need to look at NW nature shop and online to determine what kinds of materials would be helpful for tabling.





 
 

Online City Services

Customer Central Online Payment Center
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Building Permit
Applications
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2021 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

twitter facebook Email Share
back to top