Governor Brown is requiring masks to be worn in public indoor and outdoor settings statewide to help stop the spread of the Delta variant. The Governor is also encouraging everyone to get vaccinated. Find out how to get vaccinated locally at Jackson County Health and Human Services website
 

Agendas and Minutes

Ashland Parks & Recreation Commission (View All)

Bee City USA Minutes 9-25-17

Agenda
Monday, September 25, 2017

MINUTES FOR BEE CITY USA - ASHLAND MEETING
 
September 25, 2017
North Mountain Park Nature Center
620 North Mountain Ave.
 
3:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
In Attendance: Kristina Lefever, Albert Pepe, Joel Heller, Nancy Appling
 
  1. CALL TO ORDER AND WELCOME
 
  1. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
    1. Approve Minutes from previous meeting
    2. Change Krystal’s last name to Abrams.
    3. Motion to approve and approved
    4. Review Action Items from previous meeting
    5. - Parks and Recreation crews have been working to re-stabilize the outfall of Beach Creek at Rocky Top.  Libby reported that none of the pollinator plantings were harmed, but one tree was relocated.
    6. - Why isn’t there an “approved pollinator garden sign” at NMP?  Libby explained that the NMP Steering Committee is concerned about the overabundance of signs at the Park. 
    7. □ Kristina and Nancy will suggest unobtrusive places to place the Bee City USA Approved Garden Sign in the Nature Center’s Demonstration gardens. 
    8. □ Libby will discuss sign placement with interested partners and volunteers.
    9.  
 
  1. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
    1. Open Forum
 
  1. ADDITIONS OR DELETIONS TO THE AGENDA
 
  1. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
    1. Update on Rocky Top - Karen and Kristina
    2. □ Kristina is in discussion with the Village Green HOA near Rocky Top and is planning to meet to them at their next HOA meeting about Park’s Adopt a Park program.
    3. She had suggested putting a monarch waystation in the triangle of land at the top of the hills but it will depend on their interest and Park’s budget
    4. Review Pollinator Garden Tour and Survey Results  - Libby
    5. Overall survey respondents were enthusiastic about the tour.  Survey results showed that people wanted a shorter list of gardens.  When we begin planning again, we will brainstorm ways to shorten the list by arranging it by location or garden features.
    6. Plan The Grove BCUA Pollinator Garden - Kristina and Libby
    7. In the proposed spot, irrigation is on now, and the shrubs are doing well.  Nancy is concerned that we would taking out some healthy and very well established shrubs.  She is worried about removing about ˝ of the existing shrubs, and going to the trouble of adding soil and starting fresh.  Nancy suggests that we focus on the garden bed that is closer to the front door of the Grove and has two dead sumac bushes.  She is also interested in planting the bed of rock rose that is more visible between the stairway and the parking lot.  She thinks that we would get more visibility with foot and bike traffic.  She is suggesting that the cement structure could be painted with a mural or the Parks and Rec logo.  This would be a Parks Commission decision. 
    8. □ Joel will ask Jeff why that orginal bed was assigned to us, and see if there is a chance to modify the plan.
    9. Flyer/brochure for pollinator-friendly landscape practices - Shari
    10. □ Kristina will check in with Shari about the brochure, and see if we can help complete that project.
    11. □ The committee will give Libby the content and images for the brochure.
    12. □ Libby offered to make Shari’s brochure into a Trifold, but won’t have time to work on this till November.
    13. Neonicotinoids and IPM review - Kristina
    14. this is not #6 Kristina suggested that the Parks and Rec commission put out a statement about Neonics and that Parks and Rec’s does not use neonics, similar to Eugene’s resolution on the topic.
    15. □ Joel asked Kristina to suggest Facebook content on the subject the subject of Neonics.
 
VI. NEW BUSINESS
  1. BCUA subcommittee member application from Carolyn Campbell – Libby
  2. Since Carolyn did not make it to today’s meeting, we will table this discussion until she is able to make it to a meeting.  
  3. Kristina will ask Carolyn to come to the next meeting, participate, and then we will vote next time to bring her in.
  4. Review and approve Pollinator Garden visit procedures and updated Nomination Form – Nancy
  5. Nancy has some suggestions about the pollinator garden approval form and process.  She has added a couple of things to the form. 
  6. □ Nancy will draft an explanation letter to people whose gardens might not quality for Approval.
  7. Kristina suggested that two committee members go together to approve gardens.  Nancy shared a nice written set of processes to follow for pollinator garden visits.
  8. □ Joel suggested that we do some publicity (poster for display) for Bee City USA at the “Winter Dreams Summer Gardens” Jackson Co. Master Gardeners annual symposium.  * Libby suggested that Bee City USA offer a Fall Class to teach about fall flowering plants for year round pollinator forage.
  9. Rogue Buzzway map – Kristina
  10. Kristina is working with PPRV to develop a map of the pollinator gardens in the valley.  There is a brief form for people to fill out if they want a garden or area to be included in the map.  The form asks about people’s land management practices.  Anyone can be on the map.  There was an intern at SOU who was working with them on the map development, but that student has moved on, so they are looking for another intern. Kristina is asking how Parks and Rec might want to support the project.  Joel suggested that other pollinator friendly groups might want to be involved in this project. 
  11. Is there a city survey that could be distributed in the utility bills?  Could we ask every citizen to respond about their pollinator practices?  That would help make this map a more comprehensive census of what happens.
  12. NMP Class for Spring – Nancy
  13. Mason bees or other bee habitat class at North Mountain Park.  Kristina will submit a proposal, and Libby will ensure that a 60% cut goes back to the instructors.
 
  1. OTHER ITEMS FROM COMMITTEE MEMBERS
    1. Kristina found a document outlining practices for pollinator friendly parks.  Kristina will send the document to Libby for printing, and this will be given to Jeff. 
 
  1. UPCOMING MEETING DATES
             December. 
             □ Libby will doodle poll December 4th through the 8th
 
 
 
 
ACTION ITEMS
 
□ Kristina is in discussion with the HOA near Rocky Top and is planning to meet to them at their next HOA meeting.
□ Kristina and Nancy will suggest unobtrusive places to place the Bee City USA Approved Garden Sign in the Nature Center’s Demonstration gardens. 
□ Libby will discuss sign placement with interested partners and volunteers.
□ Joel will ask Jeff why that specific Grove planting bed was assigned to us, and see if there is a chance to modify the plan.
□ Kristina will check in with Shari about the brochure, and see if the committee can help complete that project.
□ The committee will give Libby the content and images for the brochure.
□ Libby offered to make Shari’s brochure into a Trifold, but won’t have time to work on this till November.
□ Joel asked Kristina to suggest Facebook content on the subject the subject of Neonics.
Kristina will ask Carolyn to come to the next meeting, participate, and then we will vote next time to bring her in.
□ Nancy will draft an explanation letter to people whose gardens might not quality for Approval.
□ Joel suggested that we do some publicity (poster for display) for Bee City USA at the “Winter Dreams Summer Gardens” Jackson Co. Master Gardeners annual symposium.
* Libby suggested that Bee City USA offer a Fall Class to teach about fall flowering plants for year round pollinator forage.
□ Libby will doodle poll December 4th through the 8th .for the next Bee City quarterly meeting.  

Online City Services

Customer Central Online Payment Center
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Building Permit
Applications
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2021 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

twitter facebook Email Share
back to top