Agendas and Minutes

Airport Committee (View All)

Airport Commission Regular Meeting Minutes

Saturday, May 07, 2016

                            July 5, 2016
Members Present: David Wolske, Lincoln Zeve, Susan Moen, William Butler, Sherm Lucas, George Schoen,  Alan DeBoer, Alex Censor and Bill Skillman
Staff: Scott Fleury
Members Absent: Bob Skinner and Michael Morris
Guests:  Burl Brim
  1. CALL TO ORDER: 9:30 AM
3.APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Motion by Skillman, 2nd by Moen, minutes approved as written.
A.FBO Lease: Staff informs Commission of research done regarding the City’s insurance of the Airport and the possibility of providing coverage for Skinner’s fuel trucks. Sharlene Stephens the City’s risk manager informed staff the fuel trucks would need to be covered and gave an example of a $2,000 premium for $500,000 worth of pollution insurance coverage and a $1,000 deductible. Stephens also stated that if the fuel trucks are important for operations, but not cost effective for Skinner to operate, the Commission should discuss a subsidy.
Skinner previously stated approximately 70% of the fuel is dispensed from the fuel trucks. DeBoer states that Skinner is running a private operation and should have the pollution insurance if his general liability specifically excludes coverage of fuel spills. Commission would like to hold off on further discussion as Skinner is not in attendance at meeting.
B.Webcams: The link for the webcams to the City’s site is still not functioning. Staff tried to work on re-establishing the connection, but without any success. Commission discusses having the webcams hosted on another site that is generally easier to access for users. Zeve states is an available website domain name and can be purchased to host an updated airport site. Fleury states that engineering staff can work on developing a website that will post pertinent airport information along with the webcam video. Staff believes that Skinner has not had the webcams relocated outside yet.   
C.Fuel Spill (wrap up): Brim in attendance to discuss fuel spill and the cleanup efforts. Brim’s consultant has generated the final report that was sent to DEQ. Brim hands out copies of the final report for the group. Staff will scan one in and save it electronically for future reference. Brim expects to have a response back from DEQ within 90 days. The total estimated spill was 1100 gallons. Brim states any spill over 120 gallons is required reportable to DEQ. Commission asks about lessons learned from the event. Brim states they will not leave any connections unattended that have the ability to become loose. Brim has used spill prevention on rolling stock on mobile operations, but the inflatable containment rings are expensive and don’t last very long. Brim states Department of Transportation rules do not require spill protection on mobile stock.  Brim carries spill/pollution prevention insurance as part of his operations. Commission questions the possibility of an FAA project including spill protection for mobile stock. Staff does not believe something like this would be eligible, unless it was in the master plan.
D.Action Item List:
  1. Riparian Restoration: No change. 
  1. Paving of dirt areas around the hangers: No change. 
  1. Hangar Enclosure Project: Staff in final edit stages of design build RFP.
  1. ODA inspection improvements and Tie Down Chain Repairs: Tie down chains have been repaired/installed thanks to Skillman. Staff to order more for a final few repairs and to have extra stock on hand as well. Striping on ramp and JLC hangar. Curb removal and paint segmented circle.
  1. Security System Improvements: No Updates.
  1. Fly Friendly Pamphlet: Staff has made edits to pamphlet and document will be sent to printer for processing (waiting on website development-domain name).
  1. Storage box: Wooden storage box at end of conventional hangars needs to be dealt with. Skinner and Wolske to work on the issue. 
  1. Crack seal and weed spraying project: Staff has obtained quote from Jackson County Public Works and is now working on the agreement portion that must be approved by Council.  
  1. Tree topping project: Staff working with surveyor to create grid system for identifying encroaching trees. Once grid system is in place, staff to bid project in fall.
  1. Webcams: Install outside (Skinner) and relink to city’s site. Staff to work on development of outside “” site to include all relevant site and weather data.
  1. Entry Road: Develop entry road landscape plan (xeriscaping).
  1. Runway safety area-perform site survey and determine areas to re-grade in order to remove gopher holes and other issues.
A.Airport Good Neighbor Items: Skinner not in attendance to discuss any good neighbor items. Staff has no good neighbor updates for the Commission.
B.Sky Hangar Lease Discussion: Staff informs Commission that Sky is in process of subleasing the hangar to Brim Aviation. As required per the lease documents the City must approve a sublease. Staff is looking for a recommendation on approval of the sublease from the Commission in order to grant final approval.
Motion by Wolske: The Airport Commission recommends Public Works staff approve a sublease of the Sky Research Hangar to Brim Aviation, 2nd by Skillman, all approved. 
Commission questions Brim on his intentions for the current hangar. Brim will still be using the current hangar while they formally access their overall space needs, but is also discussing a lease with JLC, giving them a potential to move into a much needed larger space. Commission believes this would positively benefit the airport in whole.  
C.2017 Airport Day Timeline: Chair postpones discussion to next meeting. 
  1. Status of Airport, Financial Report, Review of Safety Reports: Skinner not in attendance to update group. Commission discusses Science Works Aviation week that occurred onsite. There was a nice story done in the local news with on camera interviews regarding the event. Censors asks group about including a future agenda item discussion the FAA’s update to the hangar use policy. Censor to send email with policy information. Staff to place item on next agenda for discussion.
  1. Maintenance Updates: No updates.
A.Brown Bag: Butler informs Commission the group discussed some of the work recently done at the airport.
B.Transportation Commission:  No update.  
C.Medford Airport: No Update.   
The meeting of the JC airport commission is the third Monday of the month at 12:00 PM.
NEXT MEETING DATE:  July 5, 2016 beginning at 9:30 AM
ADJOURN:  Meeting adjourned at 10:49 AM
Respectfully submitted by Scott A. Fleury 

Online City Services

Pay your bill & more 
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Building Permit
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2024 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A




twitter facebook Email Share
back to top