Agendas and Minutes

Airport Commission (View All)

Airport Commission Regular Meeting

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

                            March 1, 2016
Members Present: David Wolske, Alan DeBoer, Bill Skillman, Lincoln Zeve, Susan Moen, William Butler, Sherm Lucas, George Schoen, Bob Skinner and Mike Morris
Staff: Scott Fleury & Kaylea Kathol
Members Absent: Alex Censor
Guests: Doug Burman
  1. CALL TO ORDER: 9:31AM
2.AGENDA ITEM ADDITIONS:  Taxilane clear width and stripping added as old business item E.
3.APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Minutes approved by consent of the Commission.
A.Airport Zoning: Staff informs Commission that a public hearing at the Planning Commission scheduled for March 8th has been properly noticed. Staff will attend the meeting and answer any questions regarding airport development and operations. Planning staff will present code changes and what they mean to the Planning Commission. After Planning Commission makes a recommendation the code updates will be presented before the Council in ordinance form for adoption.
B.FBO Lease: Staff informs Commission that Doug McGeary is working on finalizing the lease documents. Skinner was sent final edits for review. McGeary did confirm the living wage is not required as part of the FBO agreement. Doug to discuss pollution insurance requirements with Skinner’s agent and get back with staff.
C.Webcams: Skinner tracking down electrical contractor to install service for new outdoor webcams. Once electrical service is installed the webcams can be hooked up and networked to the City’s page.
D.Entry Signage: Butler informs Commission the entry signs have been purchased and fabricated. Staff to pick them up and deliver them to the City’s sign installer. Butler and staff met onsite previously to discuss placement. The best and most visible option appear to be just east of the entry road. Their aren’t as many site/sight restrictions due to utilities in this proposed location. The signs would be placed back to front in order to be visible from both directions on Dead Indian. Staff thinks the last chain-link fence panel in that location can be removed as it appears to serve no purpose. The sign will be installed to allow onsite businesses a location to install their own placard underneath. Staff to keep Commission apprised on installation status.
E.Taxi-lane clear space: Butler presents information before the Commission regarding the 39’ clear zone requirement associated with taxilanes. The information regarding the clear zone is handled under an advisory circular which becomes “mandatory” if you accept federal funds. Butler shows pictures of the avionics hangar and the vehicle parked in front. Butler states the motorhome parked in the shade hangars is also in noncompliance, but will be removed shortly. Butler explains the FAA cannot stop you from operating due to noncompliance if you approve and justify a deviation from the standards. Due to existing hangars the wingtip length of planes is limited to well less than the 39’ from centerline of a taxiway. Group agrees that a deviation is appropriate and a yellow hatch pattern should be stenciled on the ground near the hangar to delineate no parking on the Taxilane. Butler also states the ramp/taxiway should be delineated by a double yellow strip. Staff to layout double yellow strip in AutoCad and bring back to Commission.
A.Airport Good Neighbor Items: Skinner informs Commission that Mrs. Blue on Hidden Ln called regarding helicopter operations onsite. Skinner investigated the issue and it was Timberline performing required training operations over a weekend. The operator was contacted via radio and informed of the compliant due to repetition. Skinner believes the issue was resolved for both parties.
B.Shade Hangar Enclosure Project: Staff goes over current budget with respect to moving forward with a design build scenario for the shade hangars. Currently there is 40k budgeted for improvement projects, of which 26k is scheduled for the FBO roof project and 4k is encumbered for the 1200z zinc exceedance engineering. There is still the matter of construction costs for the 1200z project. Staff states there is 73k in unappropriated funds right now and this will potentially allow for the borrowing of funds to move forward with the design build project. Group discusses options for moving forward with just the engineering and handing it over to tenants for use, or doing the complete project. Staff states the design build can be phased to start with the engineering and proceed forward if funds are available. DeBoer states the proposal can be rejected if it is not the best interest of the City or lack of funds.
DeBoer motions: Staff move forward and generate an RFP for design build services for enclosing the shade hangars, 2nd by Butler, all approved.
Staff to work on RFP and bring back draft to the Commission for review prior to advertising.
  1. Status of Airport, Financial Report, Review of Safety Reports: Skinner informs Commission a rental hangar door is in need of maintenance. Skinner to contact American Industrial Door and have them make the necessary repairs. The wind transducer was fixed recently and should be operating normally. Skinner is working on having the fire extinguishers installed. The tie down chains still need repair. Skinner to see if they are stored in the City’s hangar and staff to check the maintenance yard as well. Peter’s did have spare chains to replacements, they just need to be found.
  1. Maintenance Updates:  FBO hangar roof replacement start date had to be moved by a couple weeks as Blesser is behind on current projects. As per the ODA report, the compass rose and segmented circle need to be repainted and the curb at the end of the taxiway need to be removed. Staff to work on coordinating these improvements with the Street Department.
A.Brown Bag:  Moen attended on behalf of the Commission. They discussed the limitations with processing items through the Legal Department as they are extremely busy with multiple items. Moen also informed the group about the new entry sign and rotation list RFP process.
B.Transportation Commission:  No update.  
C.Medford Airport: No Update.   
D.Action Item List:
  1. Airport Zoning/Riparian Restoration: No change.  
  1. Paving of dirt areas around the hangers: No change.
  1. Entrance Sign Replacement/Animal Signs/ Highway 66 Sign: Reference D: under old business for update.
    1. Security and access signs (Skinner/Brim to review).
  1. Hangar Enclosure Project: Staff to draft design build RFP for public advertisement.
  1. Transportation to & from airport: No change.
  1. Fire Extinguisher Installation/ Hangar Numbering: Skinner has fire extinguishers and will install them shortly.
  1. ODA inspection improvements and Tie Down Chain Repairs: Skinner to search for spares in the City’s hangar. Staff to search the maintenance yard for them as well.
  1. Security System Improvements: No Updates.
  1. Web Cam Improvements: Skinner obtaining electrical contractor for installation of new service to webcams.
  1. Update Airport Narrative page and links: Staff/Commission to perform quarterly review of website and update as necessary.  
  1. Taxiway stripping between ramp and taxiway: Staff to layout striping in autocad and bring back to Commission.
  1. Sign permit requirements: Staff to review requirements for business signs permits associated with the new airport sign.
E.Airport Users Group:  No Updates
The meeting of the JC airport commission is the third Monday of the month at 12:00 PM.
NEXT MEETING DATE:  April 5, 2016 beginning at 9:30 AM
ADJOURN:  Meeting adjourned at 10:54 AM
Notes: After adjournment of regular meeting. 

Online City Services

Pay Your Utility Bill
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Building Permit
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2023 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A




twitter facebook Email Share
back to top