Agendas and Minutes

Wildfire Safety Management Advisory Committee (View All)

Regular Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Wednesday, March 16, 2016
11:00AM to 1:00PM
Training Room, Ashland Fire Station #2
1860 Ashland Street
In attendance: Tim Bewley, Doug Kay, Ron Parker, Stephen Gagne, Bruce Moats, Chris Chambers (AF&R), Alison Lerch (AF&R)
Not in attendance: Vicky Sturtevant
Kent Mclaughlin, interested commissioner, lives on Scenic Drive
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: February 17, 2016
Ron made a motion to approve, Stephen 2nd, all in favor.
  1. Action Items
    1. New Commissioners
      1. Still in the works
    2. WHZ Cover Letter
      1. The timeframe for sending this out has been pushed back. The Planning Commission and City Council would like to have a joint meeting first. The date has not been chosen for this meeting. There is a perception in the lack of parity in the ordinance as proposed, targeting only people adding on to their house or deck, or new construction all together.  Neighbors of these homes are not required to do anything, putting their neighbor at risk. A more broad brush based ordinance (Health and Safety Code) might be a different route for this ordinance, not requiring a Measure 56 notice to all landowners. This would be under Code Enforcement, and the Fire Marshall becomes the owning body.
      2. Stephen will look at the letter and shorten it up a bit.
      3. Could there be a graduated program? 1st year: 3ft fuel free zone without flammable vegetation, 2nd year: juniper, 3rd year: etc.  Each year is a theme for removal, in later years you could include the more expensive removal with the possibility of incentive funding.  This could give homeowners the will to do some removal themselves before the cost gets too high.
ACTION ITEM: Chris and Alison will look into the methodology that the Wildfire Mitigation Commission (WMC) can provide information to the Joint Commission/Council Meeting
AGENDA ITEM (3/29/2016) FOR ADVANCE: Develop a recommended action list from the WMC for the Ordinance.
  1. Chamber Email and Follow Up
    1. March 29th at 9:30am – 11:00am at Station 1. 
  2. Evacuation
    1. Ashland Resource Team (ART): Ashland Resource Team (ART) is a group of individuals that have Incident Command System (ICS) experience.  There is an earthquake exercise in June called the “Great Oregon Shakeout.”  ART proposed to create the scenario for this exercise. Tim will act as the liaison for this. The WMC should develop a list of evacuation needs that could be handed to the Fire Chief/Emergency Manager.
    2. The WMC has identified the need for a finalized evacuation plan and will bring forward this information to the Emergency Manager
    3. Ron would like to start planning for an evacuation in his subdivision.
  3. Meeting Reminders
Talking Points
Mayor’s Commission meeting
  1. New Business
    1. Trauma Resource Institute
      1. Trauma resilience training that can be pre-trained ahead of time. Proactively train people before an event, train the trainer, etc.  After a significant event, this is a resource that could come into the community to help.  This will be passed on to ART or Community Emergency Response Team (CERT).
      2. SOCIRT: Southern Oregon Critical Incident Response Team
    2. Evacuation – discussed above
    3. WHZ- discussed above
      1. Process Update
      2. Cover Letter
    4.  “Advance” March 29, 2016
      1. Reminder that the Advance will be held at Station 2 on Tuesday, March 29th from 1pm-5pm.
    5. Talking Points
Motion to approve the Talking Points entitled “Our Community Wildfire Plan” for internal use of the WMC as it stands with future changes of the Commission’s name. Bruce 2nd, all in favor.
  1. Mayor’s Commission Meeting
    1. Tim attended the monthly commission meeting on February 2nd.  Tim updated them on the Farmers Market, Ashland Food project education and Firewise Summit.  
ACTION ITEM: Ask Diana Shiplet for dates of the future City Commission meetings.
  1. Farmers Market: A table space is free. We can be a standalone table but sharing a table with the Master Gardeners might be advantageous.  Master Gardeners start May 1st.  AF&R has a pop up tent.  Doug will start on 3/22/2016 and hand out the Firewise Landscaping brochure. Alison will attend on the 4/5/2016 and promote the Wildfire Community Preparedness Clean Up Day on 4/29.
    1. Do we want our own table?
    2. Do we want to have a place for information on the table when we are not there?
    3. Doug volunteers to be there for the first two weeks.
    4. Can we get Doug a Firewise hat/shirt?
    5. Does AF&R have a table/chair?
  2. Firewise Summit: The AD HOC Committee will meet after this meeting to discuss meeting dates.
AGENDA ITEM FOR ADVANCE 3/29: Lessons learned from Doug’s first week at the Farmers Market.
ACTION LIST: Create a one year marketing plan, including the possibility of mailing the Firewise Landscaping brochure to the entire city
AGENDA ITEM FOR 4/20: Timeline for electing a new chair
  1. WMC “Advance” March 29, 2016, 1PM-5PM at Station 2
  2. Next meeting April 20, 2016, 11AM-1PM at Station 1 (Ron will be absent)
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need special assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact the Public Works Office at 488-5587 (TTY phone number 1 800 735 2900). Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to the meeting (28 CFR 35.102-35.104 ADA Title I).

Online City Services

Pay Your Utility Bill
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Building Permit
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2024 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A




twitter facebook Email Share
back to top