MINUTES FOR A MEETING OF THE
WILDFIRE MITIGATION COMMISSION
Wednesday, May 20, 2015
11:00AM to 1:00PM
Conference Room, Ashland Fire Station #1
455 Siskiyou Blvd
I. CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at 11:06 AM
In attendance were: Stephen Gagne, Ron Parker, Hugh Holden, Bruce Moats, Chris Chambers, Vicky Sturtevant, and Steve Parks. Guest Frank Betlejewski (AFLC).
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
Bruce M motioned to approve as submitted, Stephen G. seconded and all voted in favor.
IV. PUBLIC FORUM
Frank B- Comments on Intterra: Part of plan revision 2002 Marty M. assessment, Intterra work may be integrated and supplement/replace. Will include fuel model.
AFPR- Next Th 2hrs per wk, editing group convening. Social chapter first, to be provided to WMC. Draft until approved by CoA Council.
Frank B. to be added to CWPP distribution list.
V. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA
- Report on May 19th Annual Report to City Council
- Vicki, Chris, Steve attended. Brief update on Firewise 22 communities, 7 in works, shared new Construction Brochure. Chris spoke on background of CWPP, political administrative efforts- NCWS, FAC influence, Case for update of CWPP. Vicky spoke in support of CWPP revision. Goals for accomplishments this summer. No questions received from CoA Council.
- WMC Clean Up Day Survey Results
- Discussion of results. Surprise that scenic setting didn’t rank higher. Smoke is much more common than in the past. Need net count of surveys done.
- Continuation of Shaffer Survey Discussion
- Vicky synopsized relevant content from Shaffer survey. Most interesting is comparisons between GP and Ashland. Report writers concluded that Ashland residents are more committed to higher number of less routine mitigating actions…
- Studies show that we have citizens in support of managing forest lands and watershed. They understand that fire is a threat in current situation, but is also a necessary tool.
- Frank B.- Community perception has evolved over 10 years to be more in favor for management and thinning, including commercial logging efforts (there was a net loss).
- Vicky- How far has the community really come along.
- Chris C.- Two issues really- Forest management and home protection/vulnerability/mitigation. Shaffer covered latter, Shibley covered former.
- Vicky- Chose this one to utilize due to information being readily available. Is WMC interested in more along these lines? Important to know what people are thinking before putting together a survey, so that you can ask the right questions. Vicky would like to do more scoping before hand, if we’re going to conduct a survey. Feels we have adequate information available currently.
- ChrisC- Usefulness of studies from other communities? RonP- Colorado? Vicky-Colorado may have useful relevance- Durango, Boulder, Prescott, SantaFe.
i.**ChrisC- Reach out on podio. Ask for relevant surveys from other regions.
ii.**Vicky-Will look for additional surveys from comparable areas
- StephenG- Conducting a survey will take time/effort slow progress. Mark Shipley may be a resource.
- ChrisC- Repeat survey that’s already been done? Reuse Shaffer survey?
VII. COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
- Comm. Engagement Plan 2nd Draft Review
- Handout. Goals reorganized by ChrisC.
- ChrisC- G2- May need to draw line between collecting information/Letting FW continue. Educating while surveying may not be best approach.
- RonP- Pull from existing FW community for focus group? Also non-FW community representation.
- Vicky-Find out what motivated FW, what worked. What did they need that they wouldn’t have had otherwise? Lessons learned. Conduct an event?
- ChrisC- Kevin P. research method. Out in the community approach vs. formal survey. **ChrisC- Send Kevin’s AFR to group. Vicky-Invite Kevin to June mtg.
- **ACTION Item- G3/4- Have meeting with FW communities. Steve/RonP collaborate on creating an all FW gathering opportunity. Or a form?
- RonP- Motion to accept current Goal outline, HughH second. Motion passed unanimously. Timeline creation next step.
- WHZ Expansion Proposal Review (Tentative). Not discussed. Draft anticipated being available to review/discuss/endorse at June meeting.
VIII. REVIEW AND SET COMMISSION CALENDAR / NEXT MEETING
- 1 application submitted for new commissioner to replace Russ S.
- Bruce H.- Canyon Park FWC project- Most individual projects are completed. Common area is up for work. Overrun w/blackberries 7-8k sq ft. out of 19k and Japanese Knotweed. Working with Jackson Soil/Water conservation $10k grant to aid w/elimination and ODF work crew. Job council crew grubbed out roots, collected cardboard to lay out and placed blackberry mulch back on top. Adding 100 cubic yards of bark mulch over the top. Maintain until fall then selective planting of native plants to restore habitat and protect erosion. This is envisioned as a 3 year project.
IX. ADJOURN: 12:47 PM
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need special assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact the Public Works Office at 488-5587 (TTY phone number 1 800 735 2900). Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to the meeting (28 CFR 35.102-35.104 ADA Title I).
- Next meeting June 10, 2015.