Minutes FOR A MEETING OF THE
I. CALL TO ORDER
WILDFIRE MITIGATION COMMISSION
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
11:00AM to 1:00PM
Conference Room, Ashland Fire Station #1
455 Siskiyou Blvd
The meeting was called to order at 11:06AM.
In attendance were: Stephen Gagne, Tim Bewley, Bruce Moats, Chris Chambers, Vicky Sturtevant, and Steve Parks. Guest Frank Betlejewski.
Guest- Frank B., Forest Lands Commission. Working on Ashland Forest Plan- policy document guiding how undeveloped forest land will be managed. Primary strategy- fire protection. Frank was participant in creating original 2002 CWPP.
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
Tim B. motioned to approve as submitted, Bruce M. seconded and all voted in favor.
IV. PUBLIC FORUM
V. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA
- Sandy Shaffer Survey
- Was it sent out to commissioners? Yes 3/26/15 0927hrs by A.L.
- Resource that can help focus discussion on outreach efforts. Only survey of public perception of wildfire risks. Released in 2011.
- Future discussion to see how it fits in context to our conversations and efforts.
- AFP revision- Contains section already regarding this survey.
- Survey mailed 1-2011. There is a 2012/13 Comparison between GP and Ashland.
- What do we need to know/how find out.
- Invite Kevin Preister social surveyor to meeting? Chambers to send AFR example of his work.
- Outreach options- CWPP Community engagement Plan for WMC
- Chambers- Commission’s primary role in marshalling CWPP update, outreach and gathering information for the plan. Citizen commission preferable to singular city department going at it. Gathering citizen input.
- Notes from retreat reviewed, CWPP CEP reflects those goals. Review of format of document.
- 5 goals brought forward from retreat meeting.
- Discussion on order of goals took place. Order does have an impact. Rank by timeline or priority? Chris & Steve attended basin risk assessment workshop last Thursday. WMC will not go as in depth, but will complete similar process in ranking importance of resources. Determining Ashland’s HVRA. May be able to use final product as talking point to start conversation in Ashland. Timeline may not align enough to be of use.
- Vicki- 3 categories of people: General Public, Stakeholder, Partners. Move G3 to G1? Identify partners.
- Create a master timeline of efforts (Gantt Chart)? Time necessary to create worthwhile? Need topics/goals/actions to populate chart.
- Modify sequence of goals to help drive timeline.
- StephenG.- G1 gather information re: current public understanding, G2 plan outreach. What is efficient way to gather available community perception
- FrankB- AFM group trying to not reinvent wheel. There is ample information re: community perception available.
- **Chambers- Create WMC drop box to gather documents on public info.
- Frank will send summary of source documents used on AFM plan. Roughly 12 available.
- New G1 proposal: Summarize current state of knowledge on public (citizens, stakeholders, and partners) attitudes and understanding on wildfires in Ashland.
- (Action)SG- Suggest someone review sourced documents. Identify truly relevant content. Distribute 1 document to each comm. To synopsize applicable content and share with body. Vicki, Chris, SteveP to start reviewing and complete. Tally stakeholders, partners listed in documents.
- Key Messages/Branding
i.Relevant, stick, make a stand. Will need to ensure all partners/stakeholders are in agreement.
ii.Will need to develop brand, key messages, etc.
iii.TimB- What buy in are we looking to achieve? Need to establish contacts w/other groups. “Ashland Coalition”, Ashland Chamber of Commerce, etc.
iv.Identify players, hold meetings w/them. Chris encourages trying to combine them.
- Revisit and rearrange list of partners vs. stakeholders. Distribute to appropriate goal.
VII. COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
VIII. REVIEW AND SET COMMISSION CALENDAR / NEXT MEETING
- Survey Discussion
- Opening statement and questions help towards establishing message.
- Add Q4- What is the best way for the city to share the results of this survey and wildfire information in Ashland? *How would you prefer to
- Decision made to limit window survey on 4/25/15 to single question.
IX. ADJOURN: 1:00 PM
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need special assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact the Public Works Office at 488-5587 (TTY phone number 1 800 735 2900). Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to the meeting (28 CFR 35.102-35.104 ADA Title I).
- Next meeting May 13, 2015. Proposal to move to May 20, 2015. Doodle poll will be sent.