Ashland Tree Commission
August 7th 2001
Call to Order - The meeting was called to order at 5 p.m. by Chair Rich Whitall. Commissioners in attendance were January Jennings, Greg Covey, Dan Moore, Bryan Holley, Tom Piel and Bryan Nelson. Council liaison Cameron Hanson, Parks liaison Donn Todt, Planning liaison Kerry Kencairn and staff Robbin Pearce were also in attendance.
Approval of Minutes - Minutes were approved with corrections.
Welcome Guests - Mayor Alan DeBoer thanked the Commissions for its service and apologized for the lack of communication over the Library Project. Mayor DeBoer stated he wants public projects to follow a higher standard with better communication. Discussion included preparing for upcoming projects: Fire Station, Hillah, Siskiyou Boulevard Redesign; the need for a tree inventory; the concept and impact of the proposed ordinance, including listing of heritage trees and creating the position of an urban forester; and the fate of the Ginkgo. The Commission thanked the Mayor for attending and for striving for better communication.
- Dan's letter of support for the Electric Department Arborist - This item was tabled until August.
- Other - There was no other old business.
- Site Reviews
- Planning Action 2001-064 Ashland Community Food Store. Modify one or two parking spaces to accommodate large stature trees possibly on south side parking spaces. Relocate all trees that are to be removed on site. Prune existing trees to maintain health.
- Planning Action 2001-063 Lovett's on B Street. Revise landscape plan to indicate species size, location and quantity. Show spacing distances also.
- Planning action 2001-059 Qwest Communication. Deadwood prune trees along alleyway/protect during construction. Prune Photinia to maximum height of 8 - 10 feet and maintain the lower foliage along eastside. Applicant should submit irrigation and maintenance plan/schedule to staff advisor for approval.
- Other - Bryan Holley has been in communication with the Bicycle & Pedestrian Commission about the bike path landscaping along the City's Service Center. Bryan proposed a fall work party to clean up this section. There is the possibility a school group could be involved in the project. Bryan will bring more information to the August meeting.
Adjournment - Meeting adjourned at 9 p.m.