Ashland Tree Commission
April 5, 2001
Call to Order - The meeting was called to order at 5:10 p.m. with Commissioners Bryan Holley, Dan Moore, January Jennings, Tom Piel, Greg Covey, Chair Rich Whitall and staff Robbin Pearce present. Absent were Commissioner Bryan Nelson, Planning liaison Kerry Kencairn and Council liaison Cameron Hanson. Guests included City Councilor Cate Hartzel.
Approval of Minutes - January Jennings moved to approve the minutes as submitted. Bryan Holley seconded. Motion unanimously passed.
Public Hearing - There was no one present for the public hearing.
- Arbor Week Wrap-up - 1) Lincoln School - January reviewed flowers this week with the students 2) Tree of the Year - The Blue Atlas Cypress on Liberty Street won. January Jennings suggested next year the Tree Commission schedule a field trip for review of the five tree finalists. 3) The Tidings was thanked for its abundance of coverage for Arbor week. Discussion included journalistic authority and sense of impact of the article reporting the Council presentation. It was agreed to send a card of thanks to the Tidings. 4) Tree of the Year presentation - Rich Whitall, Tom Piel, Dan Moore and Robbin Pearce will present the plaque for the Tree of the Year 2000 to Bob Wilson, Head Librarian on Friday, April 27th at 3pm.
- Recommended Street Tree List - John McLaughlin and Robbin Pearce will meet with a computer specialist to discuss formatting the completed document. Discussion included the cover, pictures vs. lie drawings, including a variety of pictures, digital options and pictures of specific locations. Staff will bring a variety of pictures to the June as options.
- Tree Ordinance - The discussion included dates - May 9 & 23 with review sessions the week in between and after, locations - Council Chambers, Pioneer Hall, Community Center, publicity - press release, op ed piece, mailings (to whom), power point presentation, format - data gathering, present for review summarize for inclusion or not, ordinance amendment, review by staff, study session with Planning Commission, presentation to Council; purpose of the meeting - to ask what the public sees as the issues; inclusion of the video, inclusion of the 'exit-type' survey as well as options for input for those that cannot attend - email or phone staff, space on the ad to write and mail in or drop off comments; use of a facilitator. It was agreed Rich Whitall would attend the next Planning Commission meeting to explain events and ask for support in addition to Kerry Kencairn.
At this time January Jennings moved to request the Parks Department submit a semi-annual summation of tree planting s and removals within the urban area. The motion was unanimously approved.
- Strategic Planning - Staff stated it appears the position of an Urban Forester was not supported in the budget but John McLaughlin has included line items for projects which will help to support the future need for an Urban Forester. Discussion included scheduling time for a strategic planning at which the commission could define an urban forestry program - what would an urban forester do? How many departments would be involved? Staff will research other small communities that have urban forestry programs.
- Enabling Language - Bryan Holley requested 1) specific language be grammatically corrected and 2) we look to consolidating parts of the ordinance. The language should be effective and meaningful.
C. Other - 1) Staff brought to the attention of the Commission HB - a bill to support funding for municipal tree project. Dan Moore volunteered to draft a letter of support for the bill. 2) The City Source included a picture of a tree that had been trimmed - improperly. Staff will research this issue. And at the June meeting there will be a discussion of the City's Notice of Electric Line Clearing. 3) Based on the root-pruning situation on Union Street the Engineering Department is requesting root-pruning standards from the Tree Commission for City adoption. January Jennings volunteered to research those standards. 4) The topic of offering the ginkgo to the public was discussed.
Adjournment - The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 p.m.