Action Minutes FOR A MEETING OF THE
I. CALL TO ORDER:
WILDFIRE MITIGATION COMMISSION
Wednesday, December 10, 2014
11:00AM to 1:00PM
Conference Room, Ashland Fire Station #1
455 Siskiyou Blvd
The Wildfire Mitigation Commission meeting was called to order at 11:12 a.m. on December 10, 2014 at Ashland Fire & Rescue Station #1 located at 455 Siskiyou Blvd.
Attendees include: Ashley Lara, Chris Chambers, Tim Bewley, Ron Parker, Bruce Moats, Stephen Gagne and Russ Silbiger.
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
Russ Silbiger motioned, and Tim Bewley seconded the motion, to approve the November, 11, 2014 regular meeting minutes and the motion carried unanimously.
IV. GUESTS & PUBLIC FORUM
V. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA
A.The commission mission and purpose was discussed and updated. The updated statement can been found at:http://www.ashland.or.us/CCBIndex.asp?CCBID=235
B.The commission would like to participate in the editing process for the WHZ Expansion. Recently Chris Chambers, Ashley Lara and Margueritte Root-Hickman sat down with the City Planning Department to discuss code language. A second meeting is in works.
C.The top 5 council goals were discussed, specifically how the commission could support 8.3 and 8.4 Essentially, the commission has agreed to do this through education and outreach, support and implementation.
- 8.1 Implement and maintain the Ashland Forest Resiliency project.
- 8.2 Educate and engage the community in watershed stewardship.
- 8.2 Declare a “year of the watershed” and coordinate activities around it.
- 8.3 Maintain current Firewise communities and implement the Fire Adapted Communities model.
- 8.4 Complete the expansion of the city’s wildfire hazard zone to accurately reflect risk.
- 8.5 Fund the AFR & AIR programs.
- 8.6 Continue to engage state and federal representatives on the AFR project.
- 8.7 Weed abatement on County land within the UGB (exotic species).
D.Chris Chambers presented a PowerPoint presentation on the CWPP process. The commission agreed to start with Chris’s identified first steps/ road map and begins expanding on it at the next meeting.
VII. COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
VIII. REVIEW AND SET COMMISSION CALENDAR / NEXT MEETING
A.Next meeting January 14 , 2015
IX. ADJOURN: 1:00 PM
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need special assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact the Public Works Office at 488-5587 (TTY phone number 1 800 735 2900). Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to the meeting (28 CFR 35.102-35.104 ADA Title I).