City of Ashland
PARKS AND RECREATION COMMISSION
Present: Commissioners Amarotico, Eggers, Gardiner, Rosenthal; Interim Director Gies
Absent: Chair Lewis
CALL TO ORDER
Vice-Chair Gardiner called the meeting to order at 8:00 p.m. at the Parks and Recreation Department Office, 340 S. Pioneer Street.
VOTE ON SOLUTIONS TO THE EMPLOYMENT GRIEVANCES OF JOY BANNON
Commissioners reviewed the offer of Resolution from Mr. Doug Gard, Joy Bannonís attorney, and the Cityís response, written by Mr. Paul Nolte, City Attorney. Combined, they read as follows:
- Joy Bannon to be paid $16 per hour from September 2, 2003. Joy Bannon will be reviewed for her 24-month step increase on September 2, 2004, if no other resolution is reached with the new director.
- Joy Bannon will receive two weeks paid comp time to be taken this fall or next spring during the slow periods of the Parks and Recreation season, which is typically in the fall or spring.
- Accurate job descriptions, from November 2000 to the present, will be written with the assistance of Emily Jones, former Recreation Supervisor, and placed in Joy Bannonís employment file no later than Friday, October 31, 2003.
- The Parks and Recreation Commission and new director shall review the recreation specialist position to determine if the job title and pay are commensurate for the duties performed. This process should be completed in conjunction with the budget decisions for the 2004-2005 budget year, and, in any event, before the 2004 swim season begins.
- Both parties have agreed that the grievance time limits as set forth in the policy manual are waived and re-established as follows:
- This offer to be faxed to Paul Nolte on or before September 4, 2003.
- The Commission shall act on the proposed settlement as reflected in this offer at its regularly scheduled meeting on September 15, 2003, and deliver a written response on or before September 16, 2003. If this proposed settlement is accepted, no further response to the grievance shall be necessary.
- Joy Bannon shall compromise and settle any and all overtime claims up to and including September 2, 2003, and in the future if this offer of compromise is agreed to by the Parks and Recreation Commission. Joy Bannon shall not be eligible for overtime for any work performed after September 2, 2003, while she is employed in her current position.
MOTION By consensus, the Commission voted in favor of the six settlement provisions.
ADJOURNMENT Ė By consensus, with no further business, Vice-Chair Gardiner adjourned the meeting.
Respectfully submitted, Susan Dyssegard, Office Manager, Ashland Parks and Recreation Department