ASHLAND AIRPORT COMMISSION
March 14, 2000
MEMBERS PRESENT: CHAIRMAN PAUL ROSTYKUS, LILLIAN INSLEY, ALAN DEBOER,
STAFF: PAULA BROWN, DAWN CURTIS, PAUL NOLTE, BOB SKINNER, FBO
Commission discussed the draft lease until enough members were in attendance to form a quorum. Councilor Hanson and Alan Hassell both arrived late to the meeting.
ADDITIONAL AGENDA ITEMS: - No added items.
A. Pending Projects
Paul Nolte and Commission discussed the latest version of the draft lease. Specific changes were made to the cover page, including a security deposit record and an insurance certificate receipt indication. Clarification was made to state that CPI amounts will be rounded up to the next whole dollar in favor of the City; to the commercial activity section; and the insurance requirements. One change was made to the Hangar Construction Requirements which called for adequate parking to be supplied for the hangar.
Permit needs for commercial activity will be discussed and reflected in the minimum standards document. Minimum standards will be looked at during next month’s meeting. Skinner currently issues a inter-operator permit.
An addition was made to the Right of First refusal clause to include a transfer by will/death caused sale. Also the value of the hangar needs to be listed on the cover page, especially for lease type C. If City decides to buy the hangar for the 1/25th option we need to know what it is worth. We need to include wording about terminating lease type B as it is stated in the current lease.
DeBoer will distribute the new leases for signature and if they decline the new lease, we will annotate the lease as "under old lease".
This legislation was passed and the letter was not needed.
C. MAINTENANCE ISSUES
ACTION: Staff will continue to address these issues and will talk to DEQ about leaks and their concerns.
A. Pavement Maintenance Program – We have not been informed of when this will happen or how much will be accomplished. This is only for repair, not for replacement.
A. Status of Airport, Financial Report, Review of Safety Reports
Skinner wanted to recognize the Commissioner who asked for us to increase the freight handling charge. Due to the construction at the JC International Airport, we have made over $500 this month! Jim Kooiman from Bergeson/Boese has been in contact with Skinner to try and correct some of the continuing problems. Brown said she would contact Kooiman if Skinner was still having difficulties. Fuel prices are on the rise, costs have increased 20˘ in the past seven days.
The Association has asked to buy a permanent bench for in front of the FBO Office. The color and design was shown and accepted by the commission. Hamilton asked for assistance from Parks Department in removing the river rock presently in the location. We were saddened to hear that Clark Hamilton will not be with us for this Airport Appreciation Day.
Commissioners will pitch in to help cover the slack for Clark while he is away. Alan DeBoer will distribute a press release for the event. Curtis will draft the release and forward to DeBoer.
Olson was present to discuss the next year’s AIP grant funds. The new year will start in October and construction would probably be a year off from now. There is no guarantee that funds will be available. If we do the work now, there is no guarantee we will be reimbursed either. DeBoer informed commission that Sky Research has already contacted with Adroit to move the fill from his area. If Sky does his area can we use money that is offset to do the new tie-down area?
Discussion ensued whether commission would rather put funds toward more tie-down area or put $50,000 toward fencing. Commission preferred using money toward tie-downs because they generate revenue. Olson said there is also money allocated to pay for the Saunder’s Easement. This will free up the City to deal with the trees that encroach into the approach and the land will be condemned for future protection. Brown asked Olson to decrease the $50,000 allocated for excavation split it between paving and tie-down area development.
New lighting that is being installed will require replacement of the conduit. The medium intensity lights will upgrade the existent runway lights.
Staff will move ahead with AIP and give a summary update next month along with 8˝ X 11 maps.
6. INFORMATIONAL ITEMS – NOT Discussed
Meeting adjourned at 1:15