City Utilities – Pay Online, Connect/Disconnect and More

Agendas and Minutes

Forest Lands Commission (View All)

Regular Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, March 12, 2003

ASHLAND FOREST LANDS COMMISSION March 12, 2003 4:30 – 6:30 PM MINUTES MEMBERS PRESENT: Frank Betlejewski, Elizabeth Crosson, Jo Anne Eggers, Stephen Jensen, Bill Robertson (Chair) Members Absent: Richard Brock, Anthony Kerwin Staff Present: Nancy Slocum, Pieter Smeenk, Keith Woodley Marty Main (Consultant) I. CALL TO ORDER AT 4:33 PM II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: February 19, 2003 minutes approved as submitted. III. PUBLIC FORUM: No one spoke. IV. ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION: A. Introduction of the new Forest Commission’s Youth Liaison, Cameron Meeks. Meeks attends the Wilderness Charter School and is interested in forest health and sustainability issues. B. Council Study Session Debriefing – Jensen commented on the newspaper articles following the study session. He thought it too bad the focus was on commission’s differences of opinion. He suggested a more proactive approach in dealing with the press and volunteered to write the first in a series of guest editorials. Commission agreed. Commission discussed the upcoming public workshops. Eggers noted that the commission would be in a listening and asking questions mode during the workshops. The dates for the workshops will be Thursday, April 3rd from 4:30 to 6:30 PM and Tuesday, April 8th from 7:00 to 9:00 PM. They will be held at the Siskiyou Room at 51 Winburn Way. The public will also have the opportunity to comment during a hike to the city-owned portion of the lower watershed on Saturday, April 5th from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM. The hike will include several demonstration markings. The public and the commission will meet at the swimming hole near Glenview and Granite. Main suggested the commission have the opportunity to view the markings prior to the public hike. The commission agreed and set Tuesday, April 1st at 3:30 PM as a “Study Session.” They will meet at 51 Winburn Way to carpool. If additional time is needed they will meet on April 2nd. Crosson noted that the Council prioritized the lower watershed over the Winburn parcel. They seemed to recognize that the lower watershed as the greatest fire threat to the community. They agreed that the Winburn parcel needed to be managed differently. Betlejewski questioned the view of the wildfire and beetle infestation threat in the Winburn parcel as being less of a priority. He said there is a potential for fire to move in from the top and noted that recent area fires have been 50% “stand destroying” fires. Main and Slocum will work with Rich Hall, GIS Specialist, to gather maps for the workshops. The commission asked to review the maps before the pre-hike Study Session on April 1st. Commission wanted extensive media coverage and public notification. Woodley and Slocum will work with Ann Seltzer, City Communications, on publicity for the public workshops and hike. The commission will discuss the format of the workshops via telephone or email. C. Upcoming Forest Service Bear Creek Analysis – tabled. D. Potential commission comment on Mount Ashland Expansion – tabled. V. OTHER BUSINESS Commission decided to cancel the April meeting in lieu of the workshops. VI. MEETING ADJOURNED AT 6:08 PM

Online City Services

Pay Your Utility Bill
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Building Permit
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2023 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A




twitter facebook Email Share
back to top