Fire Prevention Regulations Increase for
Industrial Operations July 12
With consistent warm temperatures, it is necessary to increase the fire prevention measures on industrial operations, such as logging sites and commercial operations. The industrial fire restrictions are separate from the general public. For the public, the HIGH
(yellow) fire danger level remains in place which was put into effect on June 30 on all lands within the City of Ashland.
An Industrial Fire Precaution Level II (two)
takes effect at 12:01 on Wednesday, July 12. This is considered a limited shutdown which includes the following restrictions:
•The use of fire in any form will be prohibited.
•The use of power saws will be prohibited, except at loading sites, between 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
•The use of a feller-buncher with rotary head saws will be prohibited between 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
•The use of cable yarders will be prohibited between 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
•Blasting will be prohibited between 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
•Welding, grinding or cutting of metal will be prohibited between 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
Additionally, commercial operators on forestlands are required to have fire suppression equipment on site and provide watchman service.
Ashland Fire & Rescue encourages all citizens to BE READY
for a possible evacuation. Being ready means that you are monitoring local media, that you have created defensible space and that your emergency supplies and important documents and belongings are in a box and ready to take if necessary.
With the increase in fire danger, there are a number of requirements to aid in the prevention of fires throughout the city. All properties within the City of Ashland are required to follow the prevention measures and restrictions listed in this release. Properties within the city limits which also receive fire protection from the Oregon Department of Forestry are also required to follow the Oregon Department of Forestry rules which can be found at www.swofire.com
The following restrictions are still in effect throughout the City of Ashland:
The following equipment (non-commercial) is prohibited between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.:
- Lithia Park campfire rings are closed for use. Barbeques are still open if using briquettes or gas grills.
- Backyard fire pits and pans of any type using wood are not permitted. Barbeques are still allowed if using briquettes or gas only.
- Motorized vehicles are only permitted on improved roads.
- Smoking in areas of combustible vegetation is prohibited except while in a vehicle on an improved road.
- Electric fence controllers must be approved by a nationally recognized testing laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories Inc., or be certified by the Department of Consumer and Business Services, and be installed and used in compliance with the fence controller’s instructions for fire safe operation.
- Mowing of dead or dry grass and weeds with power driven equipment is prohibited. Mowing of green lawns is permitted at any time, and this restriction does not apply to commercial agricultural purposes. (Electric mowers are exempt from this prohibition.)
- Chainsaws use is prohibited. During other hours, chainsaw users are required to have an ax, a shovel and an 8 oz or larger fire extinguisher at the work site and a one-hour fire watch is required after the saw is shutdown. (Electric chainsaws are exempt.)
- Cutting, grinding or welding metal is prohibited. During other hours, this activity is permitted provided the work site is cleared of combustible vegetation and water supply is available on site.
The following restrictions continue to be in effect throughout the City of Ashland:
- Outdoor Debris Burning is Prohibited
- Fireworks are prohibited at all times, throughout the year within the City of Ashland.
- Sky Lanterns are prohibited at all times, throughout the year within the City of Ashland.
As fire danger increases throughout the summer months, find the most current restrictions at www.ashland.or.us/fireseason
or by contacting Ashland Fire & Rescue at (541) 482-2770.
Additional fire season information can be found at the following locations:
- Wildfire Hotline – (541) 552-2490
- Emergency Broadcast Radio – 1700 am
- Citizen Alert –Register your contact information by going to www.ashland.or.us and clicking on “Opt-In to Citizen Alert” on the right hand menu.