The Climate and Energy Action Plan ad-hoc committee has been meeting regularly to assist City staff and the project consultant, Cascadia Consulting Group, in the development of a comprehensive community climate and energy action plan. A key component of the plan is significant opportunity for public involvement and input. The first public open house and corresponding online survey happened on May 24th
with over 150 attendees who shared their thoughts and learned about the project process. A link to a complete summary document of the open house and survey input can be found on the project page on the City website at www.ashland.or.us/climateplan
The ad-hoc committee will be presenting their initial set of plan goals and targets to the Mayor and Council at the July 19, 2016 Council meeting. The preliminary goals and targets are:
1) A goal of carbon-neutral by 2047, using a sector-based methodology (i.e. this goal doesn’t include consumption)
2) Five-year benchmark/milestone intermediate targets (2022, 2027, 2032, 2037, 2042, 2047)
3) All calculations and benchmarking based on 2015 as the base year
4) Final recommended goal/targets will include specific fossil fuel and GHG based targets for City operations (specifics TBD by committee)
5) Committee will be discussing further how consumption issues factor into the plan and whether a separate goal should be established for consumption-reduction recommendation along with the sector-based plan
6) Committee is still discussing the merits of adopting goals/targets by ordinance and the optimal timing for proposing an ordinance to Council.
A second public open house and online survey will be held in September to brainstorm potential actions that could be taken by the community and the City to meet the goals and targets described above. The input received, along with ideas and actions from the committee, staff and consultant will be compiled, reviewed and prioritized to form the implementation plan of the final document that will be presented to Council in January of 2017. Go to www.ashland.or.us/CEAP_Update
for presentation materials for the July 19, Mayor and Council project update.