2013 Historic Preservation Awards

2013 AWARDS
NATIONAL HISTORIC PRESERVATION WEEK


Historically Compatible New Commercial Structure
 
426 A Street   BD-2011-00436
 
Owner: Sidney Brown & Louis Plummer                                                                 
Architect: Chris Brown                                             
Contractor: Jeff Sentle Construction            
Landscape Architect: Greg Covey
 
In difficult and scary economic times, owners Sidney Brown and Louis Plummer had the courage and vision to build a modern commercial building that is both historically compatible with its Ashland Railroad District setting and utilizes extensive green building techniques. The end result is a wonderful modern building that fits into and flows with the historic railroad district while being energy efficient, ecologically sound and socially responsible.
 
The design of the building, which is located near both railroad district commercial buildings such as the Grange Co-op and also next to 1890s era historic cottages, is “a study in the fabric of the railroad district”, as architect, Chris Brown of Arkitek Design, states. He was directly influenced by pictures of the old Ashland Railroad Depot from the 1880s and includes a number of historic references in his design. The redwood siding of the building echoes the redwood of the original Ashland Railroad Depot. Burnished metal accents complement the metal of the Grange Co-op building across the street and the other commercial buildings nearby.
 
Mr. Brown worked extensively with the Ashland Historic Commission from the first and approached the design like a collaborative effort and allowed the solution of the design to be defined in part by the limits of the location, for example building a cantilevered porch because of the need to protect an existing historic redwood tree. He also integrated his design to blend in with the area of the historic cottages nearby so that deep overhangs of the building create an implied porch roof that echoes the porches of the cottages nearby.
 
Green building design features such as a “green roof”, extensive water filtration and catchment system, solar panel arrays, and low-flow fixtures have garnered the building a possible LEED,(Leader in Energy Efficient Design),  Gold Certification award and allowed the owners to participate in the Oregon Efficiency Tax Credit program. 
 
426 ‘A’ Street is an excellent example of how historic compatibility and energy efficiency can be accomplished with both vision and excellent design.

Historically Compatible Residential Addition                 
 
247 Oak Street          BD-2012-00880
 
Owners:                      Leif & Diana Trygg
Designer:                    Bill Emery, Ashland Home Design
Contractor:                 Michael Hodgin, Coleman Creek Construction
 
Leif & Diana Trygg had a dream. After living in the Ashland hills for many years they longed for a home close to town and preferably a historic one. Their dream began to be fulfilled when the Historic Contributing 1908 Josiah Marley home at 247 Oak Street came on the market.  Although the home is perfectly located on a large lot that borders beautiful Ashland Creek the house was in a sorry state!  Years of neglect and lack of even basic maintenance had left the home in almost uninhabitable condition.  This combined with the home being too small added to the challenge, but Leif and Diana bought it and never looked back!
 
Working with Ashland designer Bill Emery and contractor Michael Hodgin they restored the home from the ground up with a new foundation, roof, and everything in-between. All this was done in a manner that as much as today’s materials allow duplicates what was used when the original cottage was built over 100 years ago.  A seamless addition was added to the back of the home to provide a master bedroom and bath which overlooks the serene creek.  Never quite complete a new “old” garage and landscaping are on the planning table.
 
The Historic Commission commends the Trygg’s for rescuing a part of Ashland’s history preparing 247 Oak Street for its next 100 years.

Historically Compatible Residential Addition

128 S Pioneer Street   BD-2012-00383
 
Owner:                        James Lyon & Nancy Ball
Architect:                    Bruce Ritchie
Contractor:                 Benchmark Builders
Landscape Architect:  Kerry Kencairn         
 
When James Lyon and Nancy Ball purchased this home in 2008, their intention was to downsize (it is under 1000 square feet) and be close to down town Ashland.  The goal of their remodel was to open up the floor plan, update the appliances and space, while still maintaining the historic authenticity.  On the outside, the original stone walls that were beginning to fall down were rebuilt, and the access to the front door was simplified. 
 
Although previously dated at 1914, this house was standing in 1910 according to Assessor field books and 1911 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, a time when it was owned by Mary Stanley, as a part of her larger parcel that included the adjacent house to the north (JCD 63:343). In 1914, after Mrs. Stanley's death, the property was transferred to Helen Marks, possibly a daughter. Marks used the property as a rental. By 1920 the building was owned by Jacob M. Casebeer (JCD 104:211).  Sometime prior to 1949 the lot was divided to the present configuration and by 1942 the house was owned and occupied by William and Bernice Beare (JCD 245:363). Mr. Beare listed his occupation as a logger. 
 
A fine example of a small hipped cottage, the Marks House has a full shingle-clad basement with horizontal siding on the main floor. A recessed central entry, below a notable arch-roofed canopy supported by large brackets, highlights the facade. Although somewhat modified and improved, the Marks House retains sufficient integrity to relate its appearance during the period of historic significance.
 
Historically Compatible Accessory Structure
  
147 Alida Street         BD-2012-00114
 
Owner:                        Jimmy & Cheryl Levie
Architect:                    Brian Rogers Building Design
Contractor:                 Innovative Construction – Mark Snyder
 
Jim & Cheryl Levie have a long history of building and remodeling homes in California.  When they moved to Ashland two years ago the natural thing for them was to tackle another challenging project.  They bought the Historic Contributing John & Dorothy Murphy House at 147 Alida Street.  Built in 1945 the Murphy house is considered one of the finest examples of this era of construction in Ashland.  When the Levies bought it, it was in good condition, but in need of cosmetics and updating of the systems.  This was done with an attention to detail that we seldom see.
 
The real challenge was a poorly designed and constructed guest house-rental that had been built on the back of the property off the alley.  It just didn’t fit with the home or neighborhood.  And being the perfectionists they are Jim and Cheryl couldn’t tolerate it on their property.
 
Working with designer Brian Rogers and Contractor Mark Snyder they determined that the existing structure wasn’t salvable and that nothing they did to it would make it fit in.  So it was decided the best solution was to tear it down and build a new guest house that would blend with the original home and add value and aesthetics to the property.  The beautifully designed new structure sets back further from the alley and blends in perfectly with the original home.  
 
Extensive landscaping was also done which creates a beautiful space between the home and guest house.  
 
Congratulations on a job very well done!  

Historically Compatible Accessory Structure
 
164 Seventh Street    BD-2011-00821
 
Owner:                        Ann McIntyre & Martha McIntyre
Contractor:                 Coleman Creek Construction – Michael Hodgin
Designer:                    McIntyre Interiors
 
In keeping with Ashland’s eclectic Railroad District alley-scape, this converted shed has become a small, charming residence for the owner/designer.  At just 828 square feet, the compact living unit makes effective use of reclaimed materials to provide a comfortable, efficient home.  The owner salvaged wood and bricks from the main house during its remodel into a duplex, as well as a cabinet from the original shed, thus preserving historical materials from the site.  The recycled corrugated metal siding makes this residence look like it’s been there since the early railroad days.  Recycled wood fencing and window trim complete the vintage look.
 
Neighborhood lore holds that the main support beam was salvaged from the 1884 O & C Railroad freight depot, suggesting that the original shed was built in the 1960s, when the historic depot was torn down.  Old light fixtures, porch roof interior, and window trellises are other historic touches salvaged from around the Rogue Valley.
 
While maintaining the original blind alley façade of the old shed, the private south-facing façade opens to the yard, and passive solar gain supplements the heating system.  Visitors are greeted at the porch by a concrete bench, a step salvaged from the main house.  The old basketball hoop structure covered by a concord grape, long a favorite stopping point for neighborhood children, complements the historic nature of the site.
 
Historically Compatible Accessory Structure
  
195 Van Ness Street
 
Owner:                        Charles & Tika Squires
Architect:                    Tom Giordano
Contractor:                 Stokes Built Construction
Landscape Architect: Kerry Kencairn
 
The new studio and two-car garage located at 195 Van Ness Avenue in the Skidmore Academy Historic District is a collaboration between the owners, architect, landscaper and the contractor.  The existing house on the site was built in 1937 for Olen A. McCoy and sold to Orson Wray after 1942.  The original one car garage to the east was removed and replaced in the same location by the new two car garage and a second story studio.
 
The new studio/garage reflects the gable form of both the old garage as well as the existing house.  Further, the large shingle siding, window form, paint colors, and details of the new structure matches the existing house and retains the original integrity for the period of significance.  The new stone walls, trellis, and plants successfully integrates with the new studio/garage and existing house to create a uniform design statement.

Individual Contribution
 
Delores Nims
 
Delores Nims is the founder of “Meet the Ashland Pioneers,” a living history program in the old Ashland Cemetery. This program now known as “Tombstone Tales” educates and entertains locals and tourists about the fascinating history of Ashland, Oregon and the amazing people who made Ashland the unique community it is today.
 
Now going on for five years this program has been held annually on the week-ends surrounding the 4th of July holiday and fits well into Ashland’s patriotic festivities. Utilizing a crew of up to sixty-five Ashland volunteers to write scripts, create historic costumes, and perform roles of Ashland’s ancestors buried in the old Ashland cemetery, the program has become increasingly popular since 2009 when it was founded by Ms. Nims.
 
Actors in period costume stand by the tombstones where their characters are buried and bring these characters back to life from famed Ashland pioneer, Abel Helman, to Chinese Laundry Man, Quong Sing. The program was modeled after the successful, “Meet the Jacksonville Pioneers” program, in Jacksonville. Ms. Nims studied the Jacksonville program and worked with the founder of that program, Dirk Siedlecki to create a program that is unique to Ashland and successful in its own way.  Telling interesting and compelling stories about the unique community that is Ashland, very few programs have made the history of Ashland come alive like “Tombstone Tales.”
 
Civic Contribution

Churchill Hall – Southern Oregon University Campus
 
Owner:  State of Oregon
Architect:  ORW Architects
Contractor:  Ausland Group
SOU Representatives: Drew Gilliland, Director of Facilities Management and Planning
                                     James McNamara, Project and Planning Manager
 
Southern Oregon University is one of seven institutions in the Oregon University system.  The university was originally founded as a private institution in 1869 by interested citizens of Ashland, but was discontinued in 1909 due to lack of funds.  However, the doors re-opened in 1926, as Southern Oregon State Normal School in the newly completed Churchill Building. 
 
This Spanish colonial revival building was designed by Bennes Herzog.  Churchill Hall was named after the first president of the school, Julius A. Churchill.  In the beginning, Churchill was the only campus building and housed everything, including the entire student body of 258, classrooms, auditorium with stage, the library and administration.  Interestingly, the State of Oregon, as a cost saving measure, built an exact copy of Churchill Hall on the campus of Eastern Oregon University in LaGrande, Oregon.  Also noteworthy, in 1935, Angus Bowmer was theater professor at the school while he staged the first production of the Oregon Shakespearian Festival at the Chautauqua dome in Lithia Park.
 
Over eighty-five plus years, Churchill Hall’s interior has been the recipient of patchwork remodeling in response to the changing needs of an expanding campus.  As the vision for the future developed to house the University President, Provost, Administration and the OHSU Nursing Program and satellite offices, it was clear a comprehensive overhaul to the structural and mechanical systems would be required.
 
The Architectural firm of Ogden, Roemer, and Wilkerson showed great sensitivity and respect to the historical significance of this unreinforced concrete building in designing office and space needs, major seismic retrofitting and all new mechanical systems. 
 
The Ausland Group’s construction and engineering capabilities shined in their innovative methods of delivery and assembly of the structural steel skeleton that fills the entire building envelope.
 
Drew Gilliland and James McNamara of the SOU Facilities Management and Planning Department provided guidance to navigate the complexities of this project for the design and building professionals.
 
The completed interior has maximized functional spaces with a modern design theme that complements and contrasts the original rich detailing of the wood paneled foyer entrance and stairwell, while the vast quantity of structural steel and mechanical equipment is artfully hidden from view and unobtrusive.  The exterior was essentially unchanged except for the addition of new energy efficient windows that replaced the old and unsightly window air conditioning units.
 
This exemplary project highlights the merging of historic preservation with the structural and energy saving requirements of today’s modern construction and design.
  
Civic Recognition
 
I-5 Exit 14 & 19
 
Owner:  Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) – Arthur Anderson, Jr.
Landscape Architect: Galbraith & Associates
 
In 2008, ODOT embarked on a project for bridge and ramp improvements to exits 14 and 19 along Interstate 5 through Ashland.  The scope of work for exit 14 included widening the existing bridge to accommodate a center turn lane, sidewalks and bike lanes as well as signalizing and landscaping the ramps, while exit 19 included replacing the existing bridge to add a center turn lane and multi-use shoulders for pedestrians and bicycles as well as ramp and landscape improvements.
 
ODOT, in conjunction with Oregon Bridge Delivery Partners (OBDP) asked the City to form a committee of stakeholders to provide input on the aesthetic design of the bridge project.  The City Council appointed a nine member Aesthetic Advisory Committee (ACC) to make design recommendations for the bridge project.  After three meetings in 2009, the ACC made their final recommendation.  Based on the recommendation, ODOT held two community open house meetings to review the design concepts.
 
As the first urban interchanges for northbound travelers from California into Oregon, the ACC decided that the bridge design should reflect the City’s history as well as Oregon’s natural environment.  The ACC selected the Art Deco design theme for the bridge improvements and plants native to southern Oregon for the ramp landscaping.  The Art Deco design treatment for the bridge is reflected in the concrete texture, railing details, flag poles and light fixtures.  Local native trees, shrubs and ground covers were selected for the ramp improvements.
 
Civic Recognition
 
100th Anniversary of the Ashland City Hall
 
Mayor John Stromberg
City Administrator Dave Kanner

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share