Owner: Dudley Rood
Architect: Bill Emery
Contractor: David Koester, DAK Construction
Dudley Rood is originally from Northern Vermont, where his career started doing design-build projects including houses over 200 years old. After working on many contemporary designs, he was still drawn to work with the arts and crafts style. This 95-year-old home had a simple design with austere grace and an opportunity with specific challenges. Throughout its life it had been a residence, a multi residence, and most recently offices with an attic apartment. During these transformations, the alterations had overloaded its minimal framing and utilities. The attic was low ceilinged, with poor light and a failing roof, the basement\crawlspace, was an unmitigated, wet environment, nor was there any insulation.
Throughout the renovation the goal was to rehabilitate these conditions for contemporary use, give the house a long life in this century and to preserve and enhance the simple original grace. Mr. Rood chose to work on a project in this neighborhood because it hugs the core of a walk-able, healthy, local community.
Historically Compatible Commercial Renovation
370 E. Main - NW Raw
Owner: Web & Karen Staunton
Architect: Dave Evans
Interior Design: Dan Thompson
Contractor: Trevor Downing, Forest City
Northwest Raw is a new business downtown that features an organic juice bar and raw food menu that is located in the historic Isaac Shook building. The large two-story concrete block building was completed in 1910 and developed by real estate investors Isaac and Martha Shook who moved to Ashland from Phoenix, Oregon area in 1887. The initial ground floor tenant was the Beaver Implement Company while the second floor was in residential use, operated under the name “Shook Apartments”. Sometime prior to 1942 the “White House Grocery” located here, operated by Melvin Kaegi. One of the longest-lived businesses in downtown Ashland, and the last grocery store to remain in the downtown core; the grocery use continued at this site well into the 1980s.
In the mid-1990s the storefronts were remodeled and renovated to their current appearances and various other changes resulting from change in use, particularly to the former Laundromat on the west and the Bakery on the east. Web Staunton consulted with the historic commission early in the process to renovate the Laundromat and the consensus was to retain the original high transom windows and replace the large picture windows below with a bank of doors to match the present Bakery façade.
Web and Karen Staunton tapped into many resources including their family and friends of family in transforming the old Laundromat building into this wonderful new business with a historically compatible façade, a clean modern entrance, eye catching interior, and healthy product offerings.
Web worked with Architect Dan Evans, who helped him in developing the exterior facade changes, space planning needs, and structural engineering requirements. The family used Bend designer Dan Thompson, to develop a wonderfully creative interior décor that reflects the Northwest modern style includes stacked log details, murals of outdoor sports, and the use of ‘raw’ unfinished materials. The Staunton’s son-in-law, Trevor Downing, acting as general contractor, built the project starting from the gutted dirt floor beginnings, to embellishing the structural beam systems, and to the finish work on the unique interior features, including the custom tables.
The Historic Commission is proud to honor the ‘Staunton family team’ for their exemplary project in the Downtown Historic District.
Historically Compatible Residential Addition
245 Van Ness
Owners: Nathan Witemberg
Designer: Brint Borgilt, Nautilus Design
Contractor: Thomas Rust, Thomas Rust Construction
Originally built in 1895, the Bagley Elmer Rental House clearly expresses its story-and-a-half Victorian Farmhouse style through the steep pitched roof, the small shed “eyebrows” over the windows, and the broad, hipped roof front porch. A long sloped roof expansion was added to the back when the house was relocated to this site between 1907 and 1911, creating an almost Saltbox effect, but for the over-hanging eaves. Because it occupies a deep corner lot, the house has two facades. The original house faces Skidmore, but it’s the long side facing Van Ness that received the 2013 addition of a bedroom, bathroom, garage and workshop, mudroom and stairs. In order to avoid destroying the character of the original house, the addition could not come directly off the back of the upper story, creating a very difficult transition between new and old. The designer has successfully respected the original house and addition, while creating a second, inviting façade on Van Ness. Because the original house’s gable faces Van Ness, the addition mimics that orientation, pitch, and style, on a smaller scale, clearly separated yet flowing into the larger structure without competing. The addition complements the house by reflecting its primary form in a scaled down, story-and-a-half secondary form. The new single-car garage has a hipped roof, reflecting the original front porch. It is set back, helping to break up the volumes and avoid too much repetition. This also keeps the new addition from appearing as a redundant, “mini main house” imitation. Through effective changes in scale, set-backs, and roof variation, this addition meets the clients’ needs, while respecting the historic style of the Skidmore District
Historically Compatible Accessory Residential Unit
859 C Street
Owner: Diane Sly/Richard Mckinney
Architect: Michael Mckee
Contractor: Richard Mckinney
The primary structure at this address was built in 1905, along with the primary structure there was a small carriage house. Additionally, the property has a variety of out buildings including a shop, a studio, and now the new cottage. The new cottage was designed in the craftsman style, the design intention was for it to meet tight site constraints and for on with the rest of the buildings aesthetically. The cottage access is off the alley, which helps bring it into the texture of the surrounding neighborhood; there are many clusters of small residential properties that are served by the alley system. The colors of the cottage were copied from a home design by Frank Clark. Knee braces and a metal roof tie the design to the primary dwelling. This cottage was designed to take advantage of modern material opportunities, just like the craftsman of the historic period it emulates would have done.
Historically Compatible Residential Addition
556 B Street
Owner: Dave & Jamie Kaufman/Kathleen Vargas
Designer: Bill Emery
Contractor: Michael Hodgin
The Historic Contributing Henry White rental home built around 1900, is a one and one-half story wood frame vernacular I-House. White sold the home to Annabel Fox in 1902 for $1200.00. She owned it until 1914 when she sold it to Jesse and Jane Morgan who sold it to Ross and Mary Harden around 1948. The Hardens owned the home until 1964. After that time, the home deteriorated and suffered from poor remodeling until the present owners bought it in 2012.
Dave and Jamie Kaufman had remodeled another historic home on Iowa Street and the remodeling bug bit Jamie hard. She and her mother, Kathleen Vargas, decided to buy, remodel and re-sell another Ashland home. They found 556 B Street and decided it was a perfect candidate. Working with the designer, Bill Emery, and the contractor, Michael Hodgin, they started doing extensive work on the home which needed everything from foundation to roof and everything in between. During the process, Jamie fell in love with the home and the idea of living in the Railroad District. The Kaufman’s decided to put their home on the marker and if it sold, move into the home being remodeled on B. Their home sold the first day it was on the market!
Although the home has been completely remodeled, many of the original historic components remain. Very little has changed on the exterior, except for an addition of the three feet, to create an upstairs bath, and 225 square feet on the back to create a master bedroom on the first floor. Wherever possible, the original wide fir floors are still in place, the original open staircase to the second floor, and basically the original floor plan remains. The home now has windows, insulation, and heating-air conditioning systems, which make it energy efficient and ready for it’s next 100 years of useful life.
Historic Home Renovation
112 Pine Street
Owner: Janet Lewis
Designer: Anna Bjernfalk
Contractor: Eric Laursen
The home, located in the Skidmore Academy Historic District, is a 20th Century American Bungalow. Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps indicated this Historic Contributing home, was built sometime between 1911 and 1928. In 1919 Luella Stearns had purchased the land and was likely responsible for the construction sometime shortly thereafter and retained ownership through 1942. By 1949, the house was owned but L.H. and Adda Pankey.
Through the years, this bungalow has been modified, however, it has retained sufficient integrity to related to its period of construction. The recent outstanding renovation of this home has continued in the process to improve the historic integrity.
The work performed, reflects, and is sensitive to the Craftsman’s Bungalow style’s proportion and scale, while the attention to detail, such as roof form, window/door treatment, front porch columns, horizontal siding and color selection has enriched the overall appearance of this home. The renovation has greatly improved the existing home and enhanced the streetscape along Pine Street.
Historically Compatible Residential Addition
90 Fifth Street
Owner: Terry Emerson
Designer: Milo Shubat, Ashland Design Studios
Contractor: Michael Murphy Construction
This home is located at the corner of Fifth and C in the Historic Railroad District. This well detailed truncated hipped-roof cottage in the vernacular form is notable for its mansard-like front porch roof and shingle detailing. The residence was built in early 1899 by Elva and Eva Miller and then sold in 1904 to William Van Vactor for $1,000. . The Miller-Van Vactor house has retained high integrity and the Historically Compatible Addition by the owner is exemplary.
In 1978, the house was purchased by Bill Emerson, a long time notable building designer, who worked his magic in the front parlor room amongst his vast collection of antiques and collectibles . In May 2012, Bill passed away in this home after losing his fight with cancer, with his dedicated wife and caregiver Terry at his side.
Terry was ready to move on in her life, and despite some medical issues of her own, she had a project in mind to honor Bill. She wanted to demolish an existing dilapidated 1930’s rear addition and build a new back entry, laundry room, and covered porch in its place. She found her ‘angels’ in two longtime supportive neighbors and a local banker to guide her through the process.
Building contractor Michael Murphy, a neighbor across the alley, worked with Terry to define the scope of the addition and then hired Milo Shubat to do the design and plans. The scale of the addition with its cascading hip roof fits beautifully, and the detailing matches the existing perfectly. Jeff Markling, the do everything adjacent neighbor, helped secure historic moldings and house parts for the addition by sifting though Bill’s massive onsite inventory. The building design and craftsmanship is as good as it gets, but for Terry, the process and relationships developed with her ‘angels’, Michael and Jeff, will endure beyond the material installations... and also a nice tribute to the memory of Bill Emerson.
Owner: City Of Ashland, Parks and Recreation Dept, Bruce Dickens
Contractor: Jim Oleson Concrete
Constructed in 1912 near what is now the children’s playground the Atkinson Memorial Bridge has withstood the test of time.
Following the early death of prominent businessman William Atkinson, his widow Eugenia donated $800.00 to the city of Ashland to have the bridge erected as a memorial to her husband. The bridge design is closed-spandrel, constructed of stone and concrete with a reinforced concrete deck arch and inset brush hammered rail panels and decorative light poles.
The bridge had become worn over time and cracks from age and flood impacts left the bridge in need of repair. Mr. Jim Oleson, who specializes in historic preservation, completed the recent bridge repairs. The bridge is in great structural condition and now its exterior finish matches the well constructed structure within.
Owner: City of Ashland, Parks and Recreation Dept, Bruce Dickens
Architect: Jerome White
Contractor: Wes Norton
Project Manager: Steve Ennis
Constructed in 1916, near the Butler Bandshell, the Enders Shelter was one of three gazebo structures that at one time surrounded the original formal entrance to Lithia Park. The gazebo structure was named after the Enders family, Ashland residents from approximately 1910 to 1927. The Enders family was involved in constructing the Elks Building and the Ashland Springs Hotel (formerly Lithia Springs Hotel). The gazebo was remodeled after its initial installation, with the current fountain installed at that time. The gazebo was one of the very first places within city limits where Lithia water was available.
The structure has weathered three major flood events and stood the test of time. The concrete floor had sunken in places and was badly cracked, many of the timber posts were cracked and deteriorated. The shake roof was rotten and covered with many years of moss. The structure was in such bad condition that demolition was considered.
The Parks Department worked diligently with project manager, Steve Ennis, Architect Jerome White from Kistler + White + Small, and contractor Wes Hoadley of Roxy Ann Rock to preserve as much of the original structure as possible, replicate where possible with fire-retardant treated shake shingles to preserve the Enders Shelter for another 100 years. Lithia Park is on the National Register of Historic Places and the shelter is listed as one of the significant historic contributing structures.
New Single Family Residence
Owner: Wayne & Carolyn Allman
Contractor: Denny Graham
Designer: Design Residential, Inc
The historic Hargadine District below Terrace Street is an eclectic mixture of home designs, with a varied number of stories, roof forms, bulk and massing. The designer of this new home has drawn from the eclectic palette of styles to create a dwelling compatible with its surroundings. Site design was a challenge, with the lot running laterally to, and just below, the street level. The house size is in keeping with many neighboring homes, and by laying the roofline low, it does not appear outsized, and snugs into the site nicely. By using the slope of the land, the lower level is hidden from view, creating a more modest appearing ranch-cottage effect.
Dormers of different scales, detailed with simple trim, break up the mass and add interest to the long roof. Another dormer-like shape clearly accents the entrance, inviting visitors by reaching forward. This extended entrance breaks the front plane of the mass, further relieving the sense of bulk. A porch extends under a hipped roof toward the view, and creates an opening at one end of the façade massing. Finally, a neutral dark color on the body of the house and a darker roof subtly help the house achieve a place in the wooded landscape. Light accent color on trim, posts, railings, and shutters nicely accent the overall form, and provide a visual rhythm to the whole.