The Conservation Commission consists of nine voting members including one representative each from the solid waste franchisee for the City, Southern Oregon University, and the Ashland School District, and six other voting members.
The powers, duties and responsibilities of the Commission are to educate and advocate for the wise and efficient use of resources by the City of Ashland and Ashland citizens.
- Recycling, source reduction and solid waste/landfill issues;
- Electric conservation issues;
- Water conservation issues;
- Resource conservation issues;
- New power resource decisions, but not decisions involving wholesale power contracts;
- Renewable Resource decisions;
- Education of citizens about resource efficiency issues
Commission News & Events
2015 Urban Composting Classes
There will be four classes this year - two basic, one advanced, and one focused on both vermi (worm)-composting & the new Bokashi Method. All classes will be held from 10 am – noon at the Recycle Center located at 220 Water Street (Please park on Water Street, not in Recycle Center parking area).
Jim Flaherty, OSU Extension Instructor and Master Gardener, will teach participants how to divert food scraps & organic yard debris from the landfill by composting. Come learn & see examples of how to set up an enclosed compost system that deters critters.
- NEW- The Bokashi Method & Vermi(Worm)Composting Class - September 12. This class will teach a great way to make nutrient-rich fertilizer with minimal space.
All classes are free, thanks to the City of Ashland Conservation Commission & Recology Ashland. No registration required. For more information, call 541-482-1471.
Conservation Commission links:
||Length of Term
Meets 4th Wednesday, 6:00 - 8:00 p.m., Community Development Building, 51 Winburn Way
Members (3 year terms expiring April 30)
|*VACANCY *||Ashland School District Representative|
|Roxane Beigel-Coryell||SOU Representative - Chair|
|Risa Buck||Recology Representative|
|Adam Hanks||Staff Liaison|
|Marni Koopman||Commissioner - Vice Chair||08/08/2012||04/30/2016|
|Rich Rosenthal||Council Liaison|
Conservation Commission Meeting
Wednesday, February 24, 2016
Meeting of the Conservation Commission. (Read more)
View All Calendar Events
|Agendas And Minutes|
View All Minutes