ASHLAND PUBLIC ARTS COMMISSION
May 17, 2019
CALL TO ORDER:
Chair Friend called the meeting to order at 8:00 a.m. in the Siskiyou Room, 51 Winburn Way.
Chair Friend added an agenda item to change the Public Arts Commission’s meeting time under OTHER BUSINESS NOT ON THE AGENDA.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
||Aaron Anderson, Assistant Planner
Chair Friend made three corrections to the minutes. The first corrected Tom Doyle’s name, the second noted Commissioner Newman was absent and the third that Commissioner Smith was in attendance.
Commissioners Smith/Newman m/s to approve the minutes of the meeting April 19, 2019 as corrected.
Voice Vote: AYES. Motion passed.
Barry Thalden/Ashland/Spoke on updating the public arts brochure and the QR codes in the brochure. The Commission discussed QR codes and potentially using it with the MAP project. Mr. Thalden introduced the Sculpture on Loan Project and how it might work with the City.
NEW PROJECTS PROPOSAL - None
MAP project - Andy
Commissioner Stallman provided an update that included the following:
- Public Arts Commission regular meeting of April 19, 2018
COUNCIL LIAISON REPORT
Councilor Jensen provided a report on the Budget process. The City Council would discuss surveillance cameras in public areas at their Study Session, June 3, 2019. He commented on the Failure to Provide Name and Date of Birth ordinance.
PAC WORK PLAN
- Concerns from the business owner at Haskin’s Garage regarding installation dates and the impact on the business were discussed.
- The process for direct commission with Master Works.
- Request for Proposal (RFP) process.
- Concerns from the Historic Commission that the plaques will accurately capture the historic element.
- QR codes.
- A GIS presentation by staff on walking currently available on the City website,” to “A GIS presentation by staff on Story Map options and the Historic Lithia Park Tour.
- The Parks Commission approved the location of the Hub Sculpture.
- A review of locations.
- Discussion of buff concrete versus standard concrete.
Both templates would be sent out for feedback prior to the next Commission meeting.
- Update: RFQ and RFP templates – templates - Sandy
Concepts for the “What is Public Art” presentation were shared with the Commission. They were in the process of getting images that connected to the themes.
- Update: Goal 3, develop visual presentation -Tom
Future public art proposals would include a project review during the process similar to the Mural Guidelines.
- New work: Goal 2, formalize final review process for installations
Commissioner Renwick volunteered to work on the fabrication review process during the summer.
OTHER BUSINESS NOT ON THE AGENDA
The Commission discussed changing the meeting time from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
Commissioners Stallman/Newman m/s to change the Public Arts Commission meetings to 8:30 a.m.
Voice Vote: Commissioners Stallman, Newman, Renwick, Fuhrmark, and Friend, YES; Commissioner Smith, NO. Motion passed 5-1.
Meeting adjourned at 9:45 a.m.
Aaron Anderson, Assistant Planner
Next meeting – June 21, 2019
- New work: Goal 2, define fabrication review process