Governor Brown is requiring masks to be worn in public indoor and outdoor settings statewide to help stop the spread of the Delta variant. The Governor is also encouraging everyone to get vaccinated. Find out how to get vaccinated locally at Jackson County Health and Human Services website
 

Agendas and Minutes

Transportation Commission (View All)

Transportation Commission Meeting

Agenda
Thursday, October 26, 2017

ASHLAND TRANSPORTATION COMMISSION
MINUTES
October 26, 2017
 

CALL TO ORDER: 

Graf called the meeting to order at 6:01 p.m.

 

Commissioners Present: Joe Graf, Sue Newberry, David Young, Corinne Vieville, Kat Smith, and Dominic Barth

Commissioners Absent: None
Council Liaison Present: Mike Morris

Council Liaison Absent: None

SOU Liaison Present:  Fred Creek

Staff Present:  Paula Brown, Tara Kiewel, Taina Glick, Steve MacLennan

 

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Brown discussed staffing changes: Scott Fleury will be primary staff contact and introduced Taina Glick, Public Works administrative assistant, who would assume administrative duties for the commission.

 

Brown announced Lea Richards is searching for a volunteer liaison from TC for Trails Master Plan. David Chapman introduced himself as chairman of the committee and described the purpose of the group and the current membership. Brown suggested having the committee present before the commission at a future meeting. Newberry agreed to assume the role of liaison.

 

CONSENT AGENDA

Approval of Minutes: September 28, 2017

Commissioners Newberry and Barth m/s to approve minutes as corrected.

All ayes. Minutes approved as corrected.

 

PUBLIC FORUM

None

                     

NEW BUSINESS

Transportation Commission Roles and Responsibilities

Commission discussed AMS Chapter 2.13 and indicated that changes need to be made to more correctly reflect the actual role of the commission. The following amendments were suggested:

  • 2.13.030 Powers and Duties, Generally, 4: remove "liaisons" and "and participate in" from the second bulleted point to read "Select one or more members to attend meetings with other transportation related committees in the Rogue Valley

  • 2.13.040 Powers and Duties, Specifically: change "regulations" to "designs," remove "all," and end sentence after "implementation" to read "The Transportation Commission will review and forward traffic implementation designs to the Public Works Director for final approval and implementation."

  • 2.13.050: complete removal of this section as long as provision exists to create subcommittees.

 

Brown agreed to formulate a draft with proposed changes which may include a section about breakout groups and provide proposed draft to commission for approval.

  

Traffic Calming Program Development

Fleury left info for Brown who indicated examples from other communities are included in the packet and asked for commissioner input.

 

Newberry explained her opinion of the pros and cons of each example. Aspects of the examples she supported are the need for community interest in a traffic calming plan, that bicycle-pedestrian counts should not be used to determine need, simplicity of project ranking strategies as shown in the Bothell example, utilization of proven traffic calming strategies, and the importance of a public involvement and notification process which includes a timeline. Newberry opposed citizen data collection and inclusion of vision clearance considerations. She called attention to potential funding sources, and inquired about the necessity of updating the TSP as a result of selected traffic calming measures. It is her opinion that the commission should be able to provide input into the CIP.

 

Creek suggested that SOU students completing capstones could possibly be utilized for collection data.

 

Newberry conveyed the need to address anticipated issues proactively when merging new neighborhoods and existing neighborhoods with different designs.

 

Graf remarked that citizen representatives should be involved with data collection to improve acceptance of data citing that community members have been critical of and rejected data collected by the city in the past.

 

Barth stated his approval of the Albany flow chart, and concurs with Newberry's statements regarding merging neighborhoods. Barth believes that vision obstruction issues should be handled by the city.

 

Smith supported flow charts as a helpful tool to implement plans, and utilization of the community as large for data collection. Smith stated her impression that the Bothell packet is more user friendly.

 

Graf departed from the agenda and took a public comment.

Helen Leider, 321 Clay St #34

Helen expressed her opinion that the Hwy 66 railway overpass speed signs create potential for accidents on the downside of the overpass. She feels the speed limit in that area should be reduced to 25 mph.

 

Graf requested staff create a draft proposal taking the best of each submitted plan and commissioner input.

 

Graf departed from the agenda to discuss Accident Report.

 

Accident Report

MacLennan agreed with data collection suggestions made and added that radar is available from PD. Nothing exceptional noted about crash report; however, there was an increase in citations issued. MacLennan indicated that APD has begun reporting more hit and run accidents to Engineering.

 

Smith questioned if a recent vehicle vs bicyclist hit and run collision had been reported to Engineering. MacLennan conveyed that bicycle accidents are reported.

 

MacLennan elaborated on the public comment by discussing speed zones on Ashland St and suggesting reducing speed around the school zone and university area. Smith suggested road diet on Ashland St. due to shared use. Newberry added traffic calming methods that could be utilized. Brown reminded commissioners that an overlay project is scheduled for that area in the next two years, so now is a good time to discuss suggested changes. Barth suggested greater need for enforcement as well as speed limit reduction. Newberry questioned MacLennan about police officer

 

ticket writing policy and wondered if any of the 5 new officers will be designated to traffic. MacLennan indicated they

would not be. Young stated precedent exists in Ashland for speed limit reduction. Vieville asked if the SOU students, as cadets, could get involved in enforcement. Creek stated they could not. Young reminded commission that multiple aspects contribute to these decisions and this would be a broader city goal. Newberry believes specific design features would help slow drivers on Ashland St. MacLennan stated that back- ups occur regularly and plans exist for new streets in the area.

 

Graf asked Smith to share what she learned from Chief O'Meara. She asked O'Meara about bicycle/ped vs vehicle collisions and what enforcement occurs. See attached submission. MacLennan added that there has been more discussion since an RVTD vs bicyclist collision occurred resulting in the citation of the bicyclist.

 

OLD BUSINESS

Transportation Commission Goal Setting Open House

Commissioners discussed available dates and selected February 1 from 6-8 at the Community Center. Multiple means of advertising were suggested including personal contact, print, web, and social media.

 

Commissioners will provide to staff their lists of desired invitees. Brown indicated it would be helpful to staff if Commissioners could provide the list of topics so that staff can begin gathering visuals, information, and input. Newberry volunteered to provide. Staff will not be needed for note taking.

 

TASK LIST

Discuss current action item list

Barth questioned why City Council is just now being provided pictures of item one? Brown indicated that the traffic calming update has already been approved by Council and staff provided verbal information as an update. Council requested a status update in the form of images so they can see how it looks. Brown offered to provide the Transportation Commission a copy of what will be presented to Council.

 

Smith asked if Newberry would be part of the upcoming walking audit on Iowa St. Newberry indicated she would be.

 

Young inquired if Kim Parducci, traffic engineer, will be analyzing the signal timing discussed in item two and when that will occur. Brown answered it will be handled by Parducci and ODOT.

 

Brown informed the commission that the super sharrows will not be able to be painted as originally desired and will provide an update of the super sharrow as approved by ODOT.

 

FOLLOW UP ITEMS

Transit Feasibility Plan Update

Brown stated it was released today.

 

COMMISSION OPEN DISCUSSION

Newberry wondered why the action summary is included in the packet stating it seems outdated and useless and requested to add the Tolman-Siskiyou intersection redesign discussed by ODOT to the Action Item list.

 

Commissioners discussed issues and concerns related to traffic near Bellview school during pick-up and drop-off times.

 

Young requested the Request for Proposal for the Transportation System Plan update. Brown will provide.

 

Graf introduced potential new commissioner Bruce Borgerson.

 

Morris voiced his surprise that the topic of Medford's approval of Lyft and Uber was not discussed.

 

Next meeting date: November 16, 2017

 

   ADJOURNMENT

   The meeting was adjourned at 8:08 p.m.       

 

Respectfully submitted,

Taina Glick

Public Works Administrative Assistant

 

 

Taina Glick

 

 

From:

Tara Kiewel

Sent:

Friday, October 27, 2017 9:59 AM

To:

Taina Glick; Scott Fleury

Subject:

Fw: Inquiry

 

 

 

 

 

Tara Kiewel

 

Administrative Assistant

 

City of Ashland, Public Works Department

 

20 East Main Street, Ashland, OR  97520

 

541©\552©\2428

 

Fax: 541©\488©\6006, TTY: 1©\800©\735©\2900

 

 

 

 

 

This email transmission is official business of the City of Ashland, and it is subject to Oregon Public Records law for disclosure and retention.  If you have received this message in error, please contact me at 541©\552©\2420. Thank you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

From: Kat Smith <ladybikesafety@gmail.com> Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 7:50 PM To: Tara Kiewel

 

Subject: Fwd: Inquiry 

 

 

 

Please include in Oct. meeting minutes. 

 

Many thanks,

 

Kat 

 

©\©\©\©\©\©\©\©\©\©\ Forwarded message ©\©\©\©\©\©\©\©\©\©\

 

From: Kat Smith <ladybikesafety@gmail.com> Date: Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 3:05 PM Subject: Re: Inquiry

 

To: Tighe O'Meara <tighe.omeara@ashland.or.us>

 

 

 

Thanks much! 

 

 

 

I'll check with the Commission to clarify what info they would like from you for the November meeting. 

 

 

 

Best

 

 

 

Kat

 

 

 

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 9:11 AM Tighe O'Meara <tighe.omeara@ashland.or.us> wrote:

 

Yes, I have it on my calendar and will see you there. If you give me a clear idea of what we will be talking about I will do my best to be prepared. Thanks!

 

  

 

From: Kat Smith [mailto:ladybikesafety@gmail.com]  Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:02 PM

 

 

 

To: Tighe O'Meara <tighe.omeara@ashland.or.us> Subject: Re: Inquiry

 

 

 

Tighe©\

 

 Are you available to join us on Nov. 16 from 6©\8pm?

 

 

 

Kat

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Tighe O'Meara <tighe.omeara@ashland.or.us> wrote:

 

Hi there, sorry for the delay in responding, I was gone. Unfortunately, I have another evening meeting tomorrow and I won¡¯t be able to make it. Sorry.

 

  

 

From: Kat Smith [mailto:ladybikesafety@gmail.com] 

 

Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2017 11:19 AM

 

To: Tighe O'Meara <tighe.omeara@ashland.or.us>

 

Subject: Re: Inquiry

 

  Tighe ©\ 

 

  It would be great if you could join us at the next ATC meeting to discuss this with the entire commission. 

 

We meet Thursday 10/26/2017 6©\8pm at Council Chambers. 

 

Many thanks,

 

Kat 

 

 

 

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 10:04 AM Tighe O'Meara <tighe.omeara@ashland.or.us> wrote:

 

Hi there Kat. Thanks for message and question. I am happy to meet and discuss this but I think it may be a bit above my pay grade, so to speak. Apparently the courts have held that bicyclists travelling in a bike lane and to the right of a car traffic lane should have an expectation that a car may turn in front of it. This may be what you are referring to, and if so there is little I can do as the precedent has been set in the courts.  

 

  

 

Please let me know if you would still like to meet. Thanks!

 

  From: Kat Smith [mailto:ladybikesafety@gmail.com] 

 

Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 9:54 AM

 

To: Tighe O'Meara <tighe.omeara@ashland.or.us> Subject: Inquiry

 

 

 

Hello Chief O'Meara ©\ 

 

I hope this finds you well and enjoying your transition into spring.  During the last Transportation Commission meeting, we discussed the  collision between a bicyclist and vehicle driver found on the APD Crash report for the month of August. 

 

From the sounds of the report, the vehicle driver right hooked the bicyclist and drove the bicyclist to the hospital. The report indicates that the vehicle driver was not cited. 

 

 

 

We've noticed that vehicle drivers tend to not get cited when crashing into bicyclists. 

 

  We would like to discuss this matter more in depth with you. 

 

  Please let me know if you would like to meet and discuss this topic or if you would like to join us at an upcoming ATC meeting. 

 

  Best, 

 

 Kat 

 

Kat Smith, CSWA 

 

Pronouns:  she/hers/her  

 

541.326.7517

 

"Forget your perfect offering / there is a crack in everything / that's how the light gets in." ~ Leonard Cohen

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

Online City Services

Customer Central Online Payment Center
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Building Permit
Applications
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2021 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

twitter facebook Email Share
back to top